BTS: make a lightweight refresh-monkey page to spare your servers?

Guest PondScum

Guest PondScum

Just preparing for the night of the refresh monkeys, and I noticed that the download is scheduled to be announced at http://www.battlefront.com/news.html. Now, that's a pretty heavyweight page. If we all sit refreshing it every half an hour/minute/whatever, that's a lot of bandwidth, and a lot of stress on the server.

So... how about making up a VERY lightweight page just to show this Sunday? No gifs, very little text, something as simple as "No, the CMBB demo isn't here yet. If you're looking for our other news, go here" (with a link to a renamed copy of news.html). Then when you're set to go, replace it with "Yes you crazed monkeys, click here for the demo". And then on Monday when the rush is over go back to the regular news page?

I just have the best interests of your servers at heart :)

Gee they are also accepting Pre-orders of TacOps 4 too

On the same Weekend that the CM:BB Demo is to be Realeased

Do you think BFC/BTS would do this if there was ANY Question

about the Robustness of their Servers ?

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by redwolf:

You only reload twice an hour?

Actually, I've been wondering about the optimal schedule to allow me to get other stuff done on Sunday... smile.gif

Anyway, just switch images off and/or select the frame in the page you need and open it in its own window.
Sadly, this doesn't help their servers much if only I do it! A lightweight page would make sure everyone fetched just the bare minimum. (And I wonder how many refresh monkeys will choose the download page rather than the news page? Did BTS/BFC keep their server logs from the last meltdown? :D )

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

You certainly lived up to your handle on that one, VJ. You do know what bad jesters get in the end, don't you?

Force choked by either Vader or Saron, or shot by SS guards? tongue.gif </font>