Graphics Card

Hey Everyone-

I need some advice - I'm going video card shopping - can anyone recommend a card that runs CM:BB scenarios of any size (and supports all graphics including fog/mist in CM:BB and CM:BO) without a hitch?

Here's my current system:

800 MB processor

128 MB RAM

Running Windows ME

Thanks for your help!

M.Mao

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

800 ghz? Maybe a geforce3 ought to do it. I'd also get another stick of ram.

Thanks! I'll go check that out.

PS- my previous reply was to redwolf - just figuring out how to navigate this forum - your patience is appreciated. :D

I just went to a MSI g4Ti4400 (in a new system build), but was using a Visiontek g3Ti200, which was great. I think it would run CMBB no problem on your system, but I'd also advise at least another 128 of RAM. I went up to 512 in my new system, and it is nice, though not necessary for CM.

The g3 Ti500 would be a nice midrange choice too, if you don't want to spend on the bleeding edge level. I'd avoid the MX series of nVidia cards altogether at this point.

Gainward is another manufacturer I'd recommend for nVidia cards.

Originally posted by MickeeMao:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

800 ghz? Maybe a geforce3 ought to do it. I'd also get another stick of ram.

Thanks! I'll go check that out.

PS- my previous reply was to redwolf - just figuring out how to navigate this forum - your patience is appreciated. :D </font>

I hope people have a sense of humor here, I wasn't intending to make fun of anybody.

The biggest scenarios possible in CMBB run slow on any computer you can buy now.

Now, on a more serious basis, the 800 MHz CPU will not be able to feed the best currently available graphics cards, I cannot recommend such a single-dimension update for this computer and this game. I have good experience with the powerleap.com CPU upgrades, and the money invested there put off the best graphics card will get you a decent CPU and a decent card.

Alright, CMBB BIG scenarios are too much for all available systems. But I still want to improve as best I can. Currently my AMD 1.2 GHz is not cutting it and the current system are more than 2x that speed, which is in my upgrade zone (2-3 x CPU performance).

I just ordered the following system and hoping that the big scenarios will improve at least a little...

CPU: Intel P4 2.8 gHz 533 FSB

Motherboard: Asus P4T-533-C W/ on board NIC sock 4

Memory: PC1066 RDRAM 512MB (2Pcs 256)

Video Card: eVGA GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB DDR

Any advice? Any warnings?

I have a PNY Geforce 3 ti200(64 megs). I'm very satisfied with it. All 3D games that I have run very smooth with it, including the newer games that take advantage of the Geforce 3's advanced capabilities.

You will definitely want to bump up that ram. I just increased mine from 256 to 512 and have noticed a differece with memory hungry games such as Neverwinter Nights.

To play CMBB/CMBO, right now, the GeForce 4 Ti4200 128 mb is probably the best bang for the buck. It is nearly as fast as a Ti4600 for about two-thirds of the price and it can handle all of CMBB/CMBO's graphics. In CMBB, the CPU is more of a bottleneck than the video card.

I have a Radeon 8500 and even though I find it is a great card, with very impressive image quality, it was not designed for CMBB/CMBO. The 8500(as well as the 9700pro) cannot render fog because of the way it is implemented in the game and does not support 16 bit FSAA.

Kump, I am surprised you are having problems. I have a 1.2ghz athlon Tbird, 512 mb sdram, XP pro, Radeon 8500. I play CMBB at 1280x960 with max graphics and even big scenarios like "Kalinin Raid" are very smooth. A "HUGE" scenario like "On to the Volga" is a slide show, but from what I read in other posts, even users with 2.2ghz Pentium 4's are having problems running those scenarios.

On your particular choice, right now the 2.8 P4 is about twice the price of the 2.53 P4 for only about a 10-15% improvement and NVIDIA is supposed to release the NV30 which will replace the Ti4600 next month.

But I am in the same boat myself, trying to decide whether I should upgrade now or wait until next year.

How much money do you have to spend? Like several other members who have offered their advice on your upgrade dilemma, I would definitely get more RAM. At least double what you have. I just got rid of an ATI Radeon 7500. No Fog! No Good! I bought an NVIDIA GEFORCE TI4600 128mb card. Nice card. Fast and best of all....FOG! I would upgrade your processor even if that meant getting a new motherboard. If you did it right, I'm guessing you would spend about $400-$600. When you start looking at those numbers you might want to consider getting a new machine. Can you do the work yourself or will you be dropping off your machine at the local computer shop? In any case, good luck.

Originally posted by kump:

Alright, CMBB BIG scenarios are too much for all available systems. But I still want to improve as best I can. Currently my AMD 1.2 GHz is not cutting it and the current system are more than 2x that speed, which is in my upgrade zone (2-3 x CPU performance).

I just ordered the following system and hoping that the big scenarios will improve at least a little...

CPU: Intel P4 2.8 gHz 533 FSB

Motherboard: Asus P4T-533-C W/ on board NIC sock 4

Memory: PC1066 RDRAM 512MB (2Pcs 256)

Video Card: eVGA GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB DDR

Any advice? Any warnings?

I've got a suggestion but its probably not one you are willing to try. A 2.26 ghz 533 bus P4 will overclock to 3 ghz on the mobo you have. A 2.26b can be found for 190 whereas the cheapest 2.8 i've seen is around 500. But overclocking is known to cause stability issues if you go too high and also requires an aftermarket heatsink, possibly even water cooling. I'm going to be running this set-up within 2 weeks. For a non-tweaked system though yours is the best money can buy right now. I'm running a 1.2 ghz Athlon too and I feel your pain.

JC_Hare,

Well, I upgrade about every 1.5 years or more, when the performance gets from 2-3 times my present system. And for CMBB, if I can cut down the wait time for AI thinking phase by 20%-40%, its worth it to me. For CMBB turns, CPU speed does have a lot to do with it, not the processing speed of the graphics cards. I'll get the new system in about three weeks and run a test side by side with my current 1.2 gHz system and let you know.

I'll go for the more expensive system, even though only 10-15% faster. That is what power users do. $$ has nothing to do with it. Who needs to eat? What a sorry lot we are. Hey, I used to spend 4K with no monitor in the old days. Whats 2.5K? Cheap to what I'm used to from the old system days.

At least I don't buy monitors with a new system. I spent big bucks (2.6K) for a 21" years ago and used it for years on many systems. In the long run, it saved me money. Now I use a 42" HDTV flat plasma that went for 8K when I purchased it. So again, no need to get those monitors. Get a top end monitor and use it though multiple upgrade systems and you come out better in the end.

As for graphics, I already have a Ti4400 in my present system. I'll get the 128M Ti4600 and then in six months, buy a new top end graphics card, which I tend to do every 0.5-1.0 years. Its a faster cycle than the PC upgrade cycle. Boy, do I have a pile of graphics cards in my spare parts cupboard!

What I was after was advice on the memory type. I hear its fast, but there was a world wide recall recently and will be available again about a week. The Intel CPU also has me a bit concerned. I seemed to have less problems with the Athlon for some reason.