I'm Disgusted - No Waffen-SS Units...

Very simple my Microsoft using friend.

The European distribution rights were bought by CDV. This means that you get CMBB in the shops rather than ordered on line and delivered from the US.

CDV, being based in Germany, is unable to include certain descriptions and iconography pertaining to the Third Reich. This include the term Waffen SS and the SS Runes.

The Troops are included, however, under the description "WaffenGrenedier" I believe (or similar spelling). The game is other wise identical

BTS cannot deliver to Europe, as this breaches the agreement with CDV.

It's part of an effort by BTS to get their game out to people who would not otherwise see it, as they do not have the resources to get it to shops, not a cop-out.

BTS may or may not turn up in a bit to clarify, but there's been umpteen thousand posts on a hundred different threads on this one.

Originally posted by Perchpole:

...not if you buy CMBB off the shelf in England. I think this is a total and utter kop-out on the part of BTS. I almost feel cheated.

What's going on?

:confused:

I hope you're joking. There have been discussions about this for months now. Many many many many discussions. Blame it on Germany. CDV is a German company and any product they sell has to jive with German law, no matter where they sell it.

If there were UK or French or (insert distribution company of choice) that gave developers the same agreements CDV does, then BTS could have used them. But all the other distributing companies BTS looked into had unnacceptable agreements. This was the only company that gave BTS/BFC a contract they felt comfortable with.

If you can find another European distributer that gave BFC a better agreement, they may use them in the next game, but CDV has a legal agreement to destribute CMBO and CMBB in Europe.

It wasn't a cop out, it was either use CDV and deal with the restrictions of a German based company and get market penetration far better than they did just via the internet.. or, sell far fewer copies with the internet only model they uses until now.

BFC is a company that has to sell lots of software to make money, they will sell more copies using CDV than over the internet. I guess you could also blame your European brethren for being so slow on the uptake of internet purchases. If CMBO would have sold well enough across Europe using only internet sales, they may have kept up that model. Obviously they weren't selling as many copies as they think they should have.

The game works exactly the same as the US version. Play it for a while and see if you can get used to it, if not, contact someone in the US and have them purchase a copy for you and forward it to you in England. I really don't see what the big stink is about. You could try and be a little more polite or tactful with your comments or requests. People on this board are pretty rough on posters coming with rude, offensive and especially ignorant posts. Posting in the tone you just posted will usually be answered in the same tone as your initial post. Very Rude.

Posting concerns in a polite fashion will often open a thread of great discussion and insight. You really reap what you sow in this forum. I'd watch your tone on any further posts.

Karch, with respect, I have not been rude - I am merely expressing my point. If you object to my tone then perhaps you should consider being a little less blase about matters and instead allow people to voice their opinions.

I have a genuine concern. The game that I purchased today has been "doctored". I'm annoyed because I only found out about this after I'd purchased the software. I don't care how many times it has been written about in these forums - the fact remains that I feel somewhat cheated.

Incidentally, and for your information, I purchased CMBO over the Internet direct from BTS and it was delivered to my door in England.

Incidentally, and for your information, I purchased CMBO over the Internet direct from BTS and it was delivered to my door in England.

That was before the deal with CDV. And, as Tom just pointed out, the problem is quite solveable with a little patching.

WWB

Originally posted by Tom TCMHQ:

Well , there IS a patch for the problem smile.gif Wait until tomorrow !

Cheers

Tom

Aw crap, NOW I read this.. :eek: Just spent the last hour and a half editing all the mission briefs (which, incidently have been "WG"d in incredibly clumsy fashion, losing many of the unit identifiers). Only had the "WG" icon in the map selection screen to edit - still can't find the bloody bitmap.. :(

And, as Tom just pointed out, the problem is quite solveable with a little patching.

So, we buy the game, some (including me) pay extra for the "real" manual (and extra to post the cover of the cdv version to the US for God only what reason - don't give me that "piracy BS, please), and now we get to patch it too.

Maybe it's time BFC showed a little goodwill rather than washing their hands of CDV and made it an "official" patch ? As they have the un-doctored files, it should take all of half an hour...

[ October 11, 2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Hertston ]

...not if you buy CMBB off the shelf in England. I think this is a total and utter kop-out on the part of BTS. I almost feel cheated.

What's going on?

More evidence of the superiority of American civilization over the nasty little Eurotrash.

{ducks and runs}

Steve

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

I can't take it anymore. Do you people know that there is a frigg'n SERACH feature on this forum? Huh, do ya?! :eek:

You could always try not opening threads with titles that clearly identify this is the subject of discussion. It's not difficult.

CMBB was released in the UK today - many who bought it will not have been here before, and won't know the history. Are you suggesting they should do a "search" before posting anything ? Cut them some slack, or don't post at all.. they are as entitled to be as angry about this as those of us who have been around a while.

Originally posted by Hertston:

CMBB was released in the UK today - many who bought it will not have been here before, and won't know the history. Are you suggesting they should do a "search" before posting anything ? Cut them some slack, or don't post at all.. they are as entitled to be as angry about this as those of us who have been around a while.

i just wish that the newbies would have less than 3 threads open at the same time about the same subject.

Hi all & Perchpole too

I was myself pretty upset of this history "rewrite", and hate CDV as much as I like BFC/BTS. So as some other here I just get the US version by ordering through an US middleman that then send the game to me. I'm sure you'll find people here for that too smile.gif

And BTW they didn't have to be US, any non-Western Europe country does work (Asia is not a good idea due to postage fees ! :eek: )

You can find a Pole, or Russian for example ...

Guys, Im locking this one up to stop the bickering.

Before I do though, a couple of points. Firstly, SS units ARE in game and operate in exactly the same manner with exactly the same TO&E as they do in the US version, just under a different name.

We've explained out situation many times and cant change it. If you do a search you will find out position on this matter. We dont like it all that much either, but unfortuantely thats the way it is. And no, we cant release a patch to change it as it is obvious that this would breech our contract.

Dan

[ October 11, 2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]