kph for better tomorrow?

Actually m/s for speeds is more helpful in this game. When you do a LOS, you get the info in meters. The game counts out 60 seconds per turn. Easier to estimate times if your vehicles speed is based on a meters and seconds instead of a kilometers and hours. smile.gif

I'm not really interested in estimating how many meters the panzer is theoretically going to move during one turn. In most terrains and movement modes speed is much less than maximum road speed.

KPH gives anyone who's got a driver's licence a pretty good *idea* how fast a tank can move. I think that's the point of the stat in the 1st place. M/s doesn't do that for me.

I object to the use of Kph on the basis that it's a continental calculation scheme and doesn't take into account the interests of the Imperial measurement. I think BTS should model all forms of speed measurement, including the Nekroni Clatchlatl (speed of thrown mango) and the Zoototl of the Spengo tribe of the lower Dishmop river, who calculate their speeds based on the swimming rate of a medium-sized river turtle.

Originally posted by Lars:

I'm against kph because it was invented by the French.

The French didn't invent the hour; that was the babylonians, I think. I wouldn't have any objection to BFC including this bastardized Franco-Babylonianan measurement system, as long as they supplemented it with something useful, like an rpt measurement.

RPT (rods per turn) would be useful because a rod, being 16.5 feet, is close to the length of many tanks. Thus, knowing the rods/turn measurement will allow you to easily estimate how far a tank can travel in a turn.

Let's assume we have a tank that can travel 5.5 m/s. That doesn't tell us much, in game terms. That works out to 20 kph, (a/k/a 12 mph) which lets us know how fast the tank travels in reference to other vehicles with which we might be familiar, but which doesn't help us out at the level of the game.

We could multiply m/s by 60 to figure out that the tank can travel 330 meters in a turn; we could use the LOS tool to find out how far away 330 meters is, and then we would have a rough idea of how far the tank would travel.

But rpt would elimate this cumbersome system. 5.5 m/s is approximately 65 rpt. This, without having to pull out the LOS tool or multiply anything by 60, allows us to figure out how far the tank will travel by using the tank's own length as a measuring stick. It can travel 65 tank-lengths in a turn.

Using the tank's own length as the measuring rod, so to speak, is consistent with the well established tradition of hex based wargames. In squad leader, where an infantry unit could typically move 240 meters in a turn, the measurement was not given as 240 meters, but as 4 "hexes." All SL measurements could have been given in meters/second, of course, or kph, and it could have been left to the players to do the math themselves. But they didn't do that; they simply gave distances in hexes/turn, which worked quite well.

The same would be true with rpt. If a tank moves 65 rpt, that is similar to having a tank move 65 hexes a turn, and is quite easy to visualize. Here's an example: right now, if we have two tanks, one of which can move at 2.75 m/s and another than can move at speed of 3.25 m/s, we know that one tanks is somewhat faster than the other, but it's hard to know specifically how this plays out in game turns. But if we know that the first tank moves at 32 rpt, and the second at 38 rpt, it's easy to see that the second tank will move 6 tank-lengths (or hexes, if you want to think of it that way) farther than the first tank. It couldn't be simpler.

Plus, it's easy to convert rods to other units because everyone knows that there are 320 rods in a mile.

BFC: don't give rods the shaft!

[Edit: punctuation added]

[ October 15, 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Hedges ]

Originally posted by Soddball:

I object to the use of Kph on the basis that it's a continental calculation scheme and doesn't take into account the interests of the Imperial measurement. I think BTS should model all forms of speed measurement, including the Nekroni Clatchlatl (speed of thrown mango) and the Zoototl of the Spengo tribe of the lower Dishmop river, who calculate their speeds based on the swimming rate of a medium-sized river turtle.

Was that a laden turtle or an unladen turtle?

smile.gif

Why is it the 'correct' one? It doesn't sound correct here in the UK. My speedometer reads in mph, so do all the cars in the UK, and so does every single speed sign here.

Really? Let's see about that. Just have to write one little email to the UK Comissar on this little oversight on behalf of the unification!

Why is it the 'correct' one? It doesn't sound correct here in the UK. My speedometer reads in mph, so do all the cars in the UK, and so does every single speed sign here.

Because the Russians and the Germans used the metric system. You run around reading Russian and German sources that are entirely in metric and then attempt to read through the lines of a fairly eclectic mix of measurement/designation systems in game.

Did the Russian and the Germans ever use the squad designation for instance?

Thats bizarre!! I used to have a Triumph Spitfire (mkIII) and a Triump 2000. Both had km/h.

Loved that spitfire on warm aussie days with the top down :cool:

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

The French didn't invent the hour; that was the babylonians, I think. I wouldn't have any objection to BFC including this bastardized Franco-Babylonianan measurement system, as long as they supplemented it with something useful, like an rpt measurement.

RPT (rods per turn) would be useful because a rod, being 16.5 feet, is close to the length of many tanks. Thus, knowing the rods/turn measurement will allow you to easily estimate how far a tank can travel in a turn.

Let's assume we have a tank that can travel 5.5 m/s. That doesn't tell us much, in game terms. That works out to 20 kph, (a/k/a 12 mph) which lets us know how fast the tank travels in reference to other vehicles with which we might be familiar, but which doesn't help us out at the level of the game.

We could multiply m/s by 60 to figure out that the tank can travel 330 meters in a turn; we could use the LOS tool to find out how far away 330 meters is, and then we would have a rough idea of how far the tank would travel.

But rpt would elimate this cumbersome system. 5.5 m/s is approximately 65 rpt. This, without having to pull out the LOS tool or multiply anything by 60, allows us to figure out how far the tank will travel by using the tank's own length as a measuring stick. It can travel 65 tank-lengths in a turn.

Using the tank's own length as the measuring rod, so to speak, is consistent with the well established tradition of hex based wargames. In squad leader, where an infantry unit could typically move 240 meters in a turn, the measurement was not given as 240 meters, but as 4 "hexes." All SL measurements could have been given in meters/second, of course, or kph, and it could have been left to the players to do the math themselves. But they didn't do that; they simply gave distances in hexes/turn, which worked quite well.

The same would be true with rpt. If a tank moves 65 rpt, that is similar to having a tank move 65 hexes a turn, and is quite easy to visualize. Here's an example: right now, if we have two tanks, one of which can move at 2.75 m/s and another than can move at speed of 3.25 m/s, we know that one tanks is somewhat faster than the other, but it's hard to know specifically how this plays out in game turns. But if we know that the first tank moves at 32 rpt, and the second at 38 rpt, it's easy to see that the second tank will move 6 tank-lengths (or hexes, if you want to think of it that way) farther than the first tank. It couldn't be simpler.

Plus, it's easy to convert rods to other units because everyone knows that there are 320 rods in a mile.

<Ploof!!!> Head explodes...

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

Huh??? Aggh!!! [ploof!] Head explodes. In m/s.

[ October 15, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

I object to the use of Kph on the basis that it's a continental calculation scheme and doesn't take into account the interests of the Imperial measurement...

I object to Soddball posting satirically. This will simply increase the confusion of those who are not sure that we are different people, and will lead to an increase in the number of times that the fact that we are completely different people will have to be stated in locked down pointless threads.

I also object to Soddball being English, as the English are over-modeled on this Board in their ability to use satire.

In the interests of clarity, fairness, and everything non-English, I demand that Soddball be banned from the Forum and forced to make a new home in Australia in a modern day reenactment of 'Transportation'.

Also, it strikes me that we are all being quite rude to the chap who began this thread. I feel he should blame Soddball, and join with me in my demands to have him transported.