kph for better tomorrow?

Barleyman, while you're at it mention that they drive on the wrong side of the road too. That'll fix em.

Actually, this is incorrect. As most of us are right-handed, it's far easier as a driver in UK to roll down the side window and fire paintball pellets at the oncoming traffic. Here in France, I have to do it left-handed, or else fire sideways, across my chest, which seriously reduces the time I get to take aim.

Why only 12?? It's a binary world out there, and you can actually count to 31 on 1 hand, or 1071 on 2 hands!!

Personally I'm infavour of anything metric - call it heard instinct but I recklon the whole non-USA world should band together so there're too many of us to have have our administration's changed all at once - by the time the US gets around to changing number 4 or 13 or some such number #1 will be back where it started!! ;)

I'm glad BTS didn't use the chaotic US/UK-unit-system and decided for the international SI-system. ;)

km/h would give a better feeling for speed.

But what the hell is kph (=k/h= 1000/h)?

Was it used for counting the eliminated targets in thousands per hour by a secret german Wunderwaffe? ;)

[ October 15, 2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Schoerner ]

Originally posted by Mike:

Why only 12?? It's a binary world out there, and you can actually count to 31 on 1 hand, or 1071 on 2 hands!!

;)

OK, but if you plan to cause mayhem with numerical systems.... I was wondering why the game uses 3C sec per minute, while it could use 64 secs or eaven C secs if it wanted.... tongue.gif

So any takers on how long till the padlock a comes a knocking?

BTW in the CMBO forum somewhere there is BFC's answer to this. IIRC (and I may not) the answer is the system is not set to work like that and it is not really worthwhile to make the conversion blah blah. Basically that means you got the IS-3 so we did not have time for some math formula.

Oh well

And never forget...

HI MOM!

Originally posted by Priest:

So any takers on how long till the padlock a comes a knocking?

I would have thought within three posts of my objecting to Soddball.

Either they're taking a kindler, gentler approach to letting stupid threads die of gout, or they're all off drunk somewhere...

Originally posted by Priest:

IIRC (and I may not) the answer is the system is not set to work like that and it is not really worthwhile to make the conversion blah blah. Basically that means you got the IS-3 so we did not have time for some math formula.

It's just funny they didn't have too much trouble with converting feet/s to mph.. Perhaps because with imperial system, simple unit conversions are impossible?

Someone had really very good point thought. Germans, Finns, Hungarians, Italians, Russians and (probably) Romanians use metric system. So wtf does the game not give us the universally used vehicle speed representation in kilometers per hour?

This ain't no space ship..

Listen to the man. You'd think the Germans had actually won the war.

This ain't no steekneeng European Union, you know!

I think you are quite right, Seanachai, that I should be deported. I have a few suggestions as to location, based upon their general harshness and unpleasantness:

Hawaii

Barbados

The Maldives

I am prepared to slum it and travel economy, but only if you dress up as an air hostess and bring me drinks for eleven hours.

Alternatively, he could just admit that he is, actually, me in a fairly poor guise, like some sort of Gunny Bunny clone, and let the conspiracy theorists go and dig up pretend moonrocks.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

I'm against kph because it was invented by the French.

The French didn't invent the hour; that was the babylonians, I think. I wouldn't have any objection to BFC including this bastardized Franco-Babylonianan measurement system, as long as they supplemented it with something useful, like an rpt measurement.

RPT (rods per turn) would be useful because a rod, being 16.5 feet, is close to the length of many tanks. Thus, knowing the rods/turn measurement will allow you to easily estimate how far a tank can travel in a turn.

Let's assume we have a tank that can travel 5.5 m/s. That doesn't tell us much, in game terms. That works out to 20 kph, (a/k/a 12 mph) which lets us know how fast the tank travels in reference to other vehicles with which we might be familiar, but which doesn't help us out at the level of the game.

We could multiply m/s by 60 to figure out that the tank can travel 330 meters in a turn; we could use the LOS tool to find out how far away 330 meters is, and then we would have a rough idea of how far the tank would travel.

But rpt would elimate this cumbersome system. 5.5 m/s is approximately 65 rpt. This, without having to pull out the LOS tool or multiply anything by 60, allows us to figure out how far the tank will travel by using the tank's own length as a measuring stick. It can travel 65 tank-lengths in a turn.

Using the tank's own length as the measuring rod, so to speak, is consistent with the well established tradition of hex based wargames. In squad leader, where an infantry unit could typically move 240 meters in a turn, the measurement was not given as 240 meters, but as 4 "hexes." All SL measurements could have been given in meters/second, of course, or kph, and it could have been left to the players to do the math themselves. But they didn't do that; they simply gave distances in hexes/turn, which worked quite well.

The same would be true with rpt. If a tank moves 65 rpt, that is similar to having a tank move 65 hexes a turn, and is quite easy to visualize. Here's an example: right now, if we have two tanks, one of which can move at 2.75 m/s and another than can move at speed of 3.25 m/s, we know that one tanks is somewhat faster than the other, but it's hard to know specifically how this plays out in game turns. But if we know that the first tank moves at 32 rpt, and the second at 38 rpt, it's easy to see that the second tank will move 6 tank-lengths (or hexes, if you want to think of it that way) farther than the first tank. It couldn't be simpler.

Plus, it's easy to convert rods to other units because everyone knows that there are 320 rods in a mile.

BFC: don't give rods the shaft!

[Edit: punctuation added]</font>

Oh come on.. even US military uses nowadays metrics :D

120mm cannon, 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 155mm....

Funny thing is; CM seems to use this metric/imperial mess just like US military, not just metrics or imperial.

For such game metrics should be the right one, the best for warfare usage because of it's simplificy.

Doesn't have to know how much inches there are in a foot or how many ounches in a pound, it is simple enough to have 100cm = 1m, 1000m = 1km, 1000g = 1kg, 1000kg = 1 ton..

So simple and fast to use.

Even brits are changing to metrics..

Although I wonder when they'll change to the right side of road.. even the wording says you should drive on the right because it's right.

Originally posted by Fishu:

Even brits are changing to metrics..

Although I wonder when they'll change to the right side of road.. even the wording says you should drive on the right because it's right.

I've heard it both ways. Some people say metric system has been taught in schools for a generation. Other people say they're moving from metric to imperial..!

Ok, they think Euro is a bad idea, too. So it figures. Sheesh, this is going to be a long email to UK comissar. I'm afraid there have to be some purges..

This is just one of these pet annoyances. There is no reason whatsoever to use bloody m/s for vehicles. None. BFC has just decided It Will Not Be Fixed.

Maybe someone should use the handy Meter Attitude Adjustment Stick on the boys?