CMBB system requirments

There have been plenty of threads in the technical support forum, but the main requirement seems to be a 32 meg video card for maximum graphics goodness. It'll run on a lesser card, but will downsample graphics and lower the framerate.

If you have 800+ MHz processor, 128+ MB RAM, and a 32 MB video card, you should be good to go.

Of course, the game will run better on a 2 gig processor, 512 MB RAM, and a 128 MB video card. :D

Originally posted by redeker:

Of course, the game will run better on a 2 gig processor, 512 MB RAM, and a 128 MB video card. :D

Darn redeker! You beat me out. I am running (just recently bought from Dell!) a 1.7 gig p4 on XP, 512 MB DDR RAM, and a 64 MB video card. And let me tell you that after playing CMBO with no fog for over a year, it looks great!

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redeker:

Darn redeker! You beat me out. I am running (just recently bought from Dell!) a 1.7 gig p4 on XP, 512 MB DDR RAM, and a 64 MB video card. And let me tell you that after playing CMBO with no fog for over a year, it looks great!

Chad</font>

Wow, Thanks for the info, it looks like I will not need to up grade, I have a Pentium III 900MHZ?? processor and 128 mb RAM and a 32 Bit video card, Thanks for the info, You can guess what I will be downloading at 1201 hours on the 1st of September?

I've heard of one Beta guy running CMBB on a 350mhz imac with a teeny 8meg video card! I recall someone somewhere said if you can run CMBO you can run CMBB.

Of course there's max performance then there's simply getting the thing to boot. Before you spend a month's pay on a new system take my word for it, even down-res'd CMBB is much prettier than our beloved CMBO

I used to have 900mhz processor with 256mb of ram and a 32mb video card. CMBO played just fine. In anticipation of CMBB I went out and upgraded to 1.5ghz with 640mb of ram and a 64mb Radeon video card. I also went from a 17" monitor to a Sony flatscreen 19". In case you can't tell, I am really looking forward to this game.

For the sake of "well, I'm not upgrading 'cause I'm sure I'm fine..."

Got a 350Mhz B&W G3, 576 ram and a 32 meg Radeon. I am absolutely not worried about CMBB at all. Sure, turns might take a little while to calculate, but so what smile.gif As for the movie playback, I expect things will be fine so long as I don't try to view the entire battlefield with units at +4 size on a 9km sq map with full weather ;)

inally posted by redeker:

I never said I HAD that system I described... ;)

I'm still chunking along on a 450 MHz PIII, 128 MB RAM and a 16 MB video card.

Things are a little tight right now (trying to buy a new house while holding on to the current one and turning it into a rental) so a new computer is on the back burner.

Dell had a nice little sail, someone wanted to buy our old computer for a good price, and I purchased the computer for my small buisiness of Civil Engineering. It just so happens that the same speed that Terramodel needs, is great for gaming!

Chad

Thank God I still have a job, but I went out and bought a new system just so I could play CMBB, my older one was chugging along with CMBO, but I never got fog nor could I play large battles.

The new one is a P4 2.7ghz with 512 SDRAM and a 64 meg vid card. CMBO flies, with all hi-res mods, and fog is such a wonderful thing. Can't wait to see CMBB. The only CD in my hard drive from now on will be CM. :D

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I've heard of one Beta guy running CMBB on a 350mhz imac with a teeny 8meg video card! I recall someone somewhere said if you can run CMBO you can run CMBB.

Of course there's max performance then there's simply getting the thing to boot. Before you spend a month's pay on a new system take my word for it, even down-res'd CMBB is much prettier than our beloved CMBO

That was me. I run it at home on a G4/400 16MB ATI Rage 128, 384MB, and at both previews it ran fine on 8MB ATI cards, in one case on an oldish iMac.

Originally posted by Soddball:

I'm just interested to know how he got a CD into his hard drive. You must've had a pair of pliers or sumfink.

Mr Soddball you have totally misunderstood me, its like the phrase "getting on" an airplane, I would always want to "get in to" an airplane. I would correct myself and say the game is "on" my hard drive, and the CD is "in" my CD drive. However if I could get the Cd "into" my hard drive, it would surely save me a couple of mouse clicks. :D

[ August 23, 2002, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Not sure where Software First got their specs since we still havent released the official ones but I can tell you that you will about 1.2 gigaybytes of harddrive space to run CMBB, not 400 like they say.

Also one more thing, probably more for laptop users, but CMBB will NOT run in 640x480 resolution anymore. Your video card must be able to run in 800x600 or higher.

We expect to post the Specs very soon.

Madmatt

[ August 23, 2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Why does any thread on system specs always devolve into a "Mines Bigger Than Yours"?

Don't do it. I Don't care what the system specs of your newest Aquasition/Pet/Child/Wife (del as appropreate) are, I just want to know if the game will run on my computer. Its no consolation to know that YOU will have no probs, the question is about MY COMPUTER.

(Deep Breath) sorry rant over.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My Powerbook G3 with 8meg video runs CMBB fine. Now, Mac video cards aren't as bogged down by the OS as PCs, so I would guess that you would need 16mb minimum on a PC.

Folks, MHz alone doesn't qualify the speed of a computer.

PowerPCs (Macs) are much faster for the same MHz.

Pentium-4s and the Pentium-4 based Celerons can be a lot slower for the MHz than Pentium-IIIs and P3-based Celerons. I have a nice application that runs exactly the same speed on p3 and p4. Unfortunately it's a 1 GHz P3 and a 2.4 Xeon P4...

BTW, anyone trying to upgrade might want to check out powerleap.com. They package slots and prozessors, have a compatiblity list and 30-day money back. I got a 1.3 GHz Celeron for my P2B motherboard, which is a pretty difficult update, it was one of the first 440BX motherbards. Their documentation and support website suck, but I some sniffing did the job, they offered their own BIOS for the P2B. I payed about $50 more than what I would have payed for a processor and some random adapter, and would have failed for the lack of a suitable BIOS.

HAL 9000 systems and above. tongue.gif

I'm wondering how much slowdown is going to be on the big maps this time. With CMBB's much larger map capability, I hope there isn't as much of the turn calc slowdown as there was with CMBO. I've got a pretty robust system, and CMBO's larger maps still slowdown when they get too large; or there are a lot of units to calc for (especially armor). :(

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Not sure where Software First got their specs since we still havent released the official ones but I can tell you that you will about 1.2 gigaybytes of harddrive space to run CMBB, not 400 like they say.

Thats a lot of information! Right now, with all the high res mods installed on my computer, the ENTIRE CMBO directory is only coming in at 483mb. We already now what some additions are that are taking up all that space, and soon we will now first hand the rest!

CMBO ran fine on my Celery 466 with a Voodoo 3 2000 card. Maybe the really large battles were a little slow but it ran just fine. But my small 6.4 gig hard drive was driving me nuts. I always had to remove something in order to install something else on the machine.

I'm really looking forward to my new machine which I should get next week:

Athlon XP 1800+

ASUS A7S333 Motherboard

256MB 333Mhz DDR Ram (512 next year!)

60 GB 7200 rpm hard drive

nVida GeForce4 Mx420 64MB card (a titanium next year also!)

[ August 23, 2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]