Coolest new feature over CMBO

jonp

All,

I was hoping to start a thread whereby we talk

about the coolest new features we have found

in CMBB.

While watching football last night I was reading

the manual and they mentioned how you can order

a unit to follow an enemy vehicle (if within 50m)

and he will attempt to follow it and destroy it.

Anyone else find out something cool that was not in CMBO?

Thx

JonP

Originally posted by jonp:

All,

I was hoping to start a thread whereby we talk

about the coolest new features we have found

in CMBB.

While watching football last night I was reading

the manual and they mentioned how you can order

a unit to follow an enemy vehicle (if within 50m)

and he will attempt to follow it and destroy it.

Anyone else find out something cool that was not in CMBO?

Thx

JonP

I dont have CMBB yet, I would love to be looking for cool things, maybe today?.. who won the game?

Guest Panzer Boxb

After having played the game for a few days I would say that my vote would still go to covered arcs with the MG improvements a close second.

My list so far (not counting bugfixes like MGs):

Covered arc.

Less predictable armor penetration model and less damage from lesser penetrations.

Camouflage for unmoved units, although I didn't really figure out how to make best use of it for Nashorns (vehicles can only use scattered trees).

Guns are pre-zeroed in (didn't test how much that brings yet).

Vehicle morale and C&C.

Tankettes smile.gif

There is some stuff which I am not sure I like or dislike.

a. The Bucs won

b. JonP, I thought you were going to the game, not watching it on tv

c. One small feature that I like is the ability to setup on defense without digging in. In a small defense QB last night, I had one platoon start out well forward of any cover in order to advance into some woods and set up an early ambush. The last thing I wanted to do was leave a nice set of foxholes for the attacker to use later in the battle.

Never made it to the game.

I got home and got CMBB in the mail and loaded it

up and played for a bit. I turned on the news

and they were saying there was a good chance

of rain so I decided to stay home (my friend has

tix and he just took someone else)

All in all, a great Monday for me :D

Few things that have popped into my mind during first 24 hours of CMBB (German CDV version - with a very limited knowledge of German language)

- Cover arcs as mentioned, the single reason I won't revisit CMBO anymore.

- Improved suppression effect of MGs (ok, another reason).

- Trenches (yay!). In a QB I tried German platoon destroyed 166! regular russians from a trench behind a barb-wire obstacle. 3 HMGs provided the suppression and the attack of the russians stopped into the barb wire.

- Cheaper fortifications, especially mines and barb wire. Adding extra foxholes also a nice bonus.

- QBs improved a lot: plentitude of options, fronts, vehicles is just amazing. QB improvements alone would entitle a full price game release.

- Artillery/air support enhancements are really nice, but I would need to consult a manual that I can read before commenting more. [For instance: how does the radio help the FO? :eek: ]. Aircraft attacks seem to be more effective.

I probably will love the new movement commands as soon as I learn to use the effectively. Also, because of mentioned improvements, defending will now probably be much more fun and challenging than it used to be.

I'm still waiting for the computer upgrade that will allow me to play the game to arrive.

Meanwhile, along with all the things mentioned above, I'm looking forward to two QB features:

1) Rarity rules

2) Ability to import maps into QBs.

I've avoided QB's in CMBO PBEMs because 1) I didn't want to get into all the issues about gamey force picking and/or complicated armor rules and 2) because I find the QB maps terminally bland. The rarity rules (I esp. like the variable option) should reduce or eliminate the former problem and the map import capability should solve the latter problem. Both players can have the fun and challenge of choosing a force that will be most effective on a given map--even one that already has signs of battle damage. If you think about it, that gives us the capablilty of generating endless scenarios over a particularly effective map.

One question: can CMBO maps be imported into CMBB QBs? I doubt it, but I guess it's worth asking.

There are a ton of new things that are just awesome! One thing I was noticing reading hte manual, however, was the Activate Flag option. Was this in CMBO? If it was I never saw it, and it is one helluva feature.

For those not aware:

In a battle with dynamic non-random flags, the attacker can use his highest level HQ to click on an area around one of the dynamic flags, creating the flag as 'real' while the other are considered 'bogus' and this can only be seen by the attacker.

The fact that it is on the Eastern Front would be enough for me with just the CMBO gameplay. But there are many, many things that make it so immersive as to the particulars of warfare on that particular front.

A few things that are over the top great for me:

The Axis "Minors" are a major plus. I love those sparks from AFV hits. The sound is scary in it's realism at times. The addition of further 3D modelling on AFV's. Factories. That brown puff of smoke from a destroyed building...

Gotta get back to playing.

One real exciting new game aspect is the ability to create a map, add troopers, edit their specs, and then import them into a quick battle. Using my alteration of Wreck's Rules I am now able to perform a campaign using QB. I can gain experience, gain skills, earn medals, earn favor, etc., everything the manual says you can't do--you can do.

Right now one of my platoon HQ's just earned an Iron Cross Second Class fighting with Guderian's (Hurrying Heinz) Second Panzergruppe just across the Bug in June 41.

Thanks for adding this feature.