Best Game of all Time?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ruthless:

Karate Champ

Karate Champ!!! Man I loved that game. About a month ago I was at a pizza place with my parents, where they had an old Centipede game. My mom got all excited and asked me if I wanted to play her in a game. She refuses to go anywhere near computers, and she doesn't have an interest in video games. I had never played before, but she said she had when she was a kid. I should have known what that meant. It meant she spent every waking moment as a child behind that machine. And anyone who's played it before knows that it takes skill, especially if you aren't accustomed to using a trackball. She kicked my ass for about thirty minutes until my Dad stopped giving her quarters. Whenever you go to an arcade and see some adult that doesn't look like they belong there playing Galaga or Pacman in the corner, run away screaming. They're better gamers then you'll ever be. smile.gif

Originally posted by Hans:

Gentlemen question,

are any of you still playing CMBO or have you switched over to CMBB exclusively?

Still playing both. The Western Front is the one I'm much more familiar with. Although I'd pay $100 today for a CMBO updated to CMBB standards. But like everyone else, I'll have to wait a while for that. So CMBO for familiarity, and CMBB for the best game. smile.gif

Thanks for the reminders of some great computer games. Road Rash on the Sega Genesis was crazy. I spent more time running after my bike than riding. VGA Planets was a really great experience, the first game I played using e-mail. There was a group of us at work playing, so we'd talk about it for hours at work, then go home and make our moves. Empire was the game I played all night when I bought my first PC (a 386).

[ November 29, 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Dave H ]

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Anyone here remembers Carrier Command for the Atari ST?

Great mixture of strategy and action.

And the graphics were simply fantastic for that time...

CARRIER COMMAND!

I totally forgot about that! That game ROCKED!!!

I haven't read this whole long thread, but somebody should mention Deadly Games' Bomber. For all its simplicity it was an addictive game. I liked the voice of the group commander: "Command to group. Go to devil's four. Command out." I'd follow that guy to hell. But, alas, Macs got too fast for the game. I wish they'd update. "Fighters at nine o'clock...."

Gregory Peck, eat your heart out.

The only games that have been on my HD ( and played almost daly) until the new version comes along are CMBO then CMBB and MSFS 2000 then MSFS 2002.......

Right now I am trying GI Combat.

A lot of fun but just dosen’t have the depth of Combat Mission series.....

Bnickb ;)

(WC Fields) once put it:

"I cook with wine, sometimes I add it to the food"

Originally posted by Dave H:

Still playing both. The Western Front is the one I'm much more familiar with. Although I'd pay $100 today for a CMBO updated to CMBB standards.

Dittos.

As for games I really obsessed over? There was this oldie for the Atari called "Lords of Conquest" that I just couldn't seem to lose at smile.gif

And a game called "Overlord" for the Commodore, a sci-fi strategy game that occupied nearly all my evenings.

"Patton strikes back" did come out for the Mac, I bought it, and played it some, in 1993, but it was a bit much for my beloved Mac Classic. Still, I liked the arrows, etc. I often wondered about that game-- if i could find it somewhere on the web...

Incidentally, did anyone ever play a game called "Ram !" or "Ram speed", Avalon Hill, ancient oar-ships and ramming tactics ?

No-one's mentioned a couple of SSG classics.

Carriers at War was an excellent representation of the Carrier battles around Guadalcanal and PNG in 1942. It really had that suspense factor in it when your Task Forces are tooling around deperately trying to locate the enemy while not knowing whether an air strike is already on its way to destroy your best laid plans.

The other was Reach for the Stars. The original space conquest game that was almost certainly the inspiration for the brilliant Master of Orion game that came out later, as there were a number of elements that were similar in both games.

Regards

Jim R.

Does anyone remember the name of an early '80s tank simulator video game?

You looked through a periscope of types and it had two stick controllers - one for the x-axis, one for the y. It was an early attempt at 3-d with green polygon figures. I think it was called Battlezone or somefink but I'm not too sure anymore.

God, I spent what then seemed like a fortune on that, Tempest and Dragon's Lair.

Cheers,

Jason

[ November 29, 2002, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Axe2121 ]

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Generale_Pasquini:

Ummm, all of you are smoking crack. Two Words:

MARIO KART

smile.gifsmile.gif

Hellz yeah! Two-player battle mode was absolutely legendary...hitting a straightaway when your opponent has a red homing shell, and using that powerup to jump over a railing...sweet. Only to be topped by the 64 version.

Now that I'm down memory lane, I would have to nominate some old school console games:

Nintendo (orig)

Baseball Stars, Contra (2plyr), Metroid, NHLPA 94, Zeldas, etc.

cpu:

AoE 2

WWII GI- cheesy FPS, but it got the WWII hook into me, that and SPR.

"EMPIRE: Wargame of the Century" - anyone ever play this? Very simple "world" exploration/mil.conquest game. You can D/L it but I can't get that version to work.</font>

posted November 26, 2002 05:06 PM

Nice site Lindan. Pity they can't offer my all time fav game Airborne Ranger for download. My venerable 5 1/4" floppy sort of decomposed over the years...

Walker, can your Hotmail address handle a 310K attachment? I got a copy of Airborne Ranger from Underdogs before Microprose or whoever reasserted their copyright.

My bad. I already mailed it to Linden, before I reread the post and realized it was you who wanted the copy.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Generale_Pasquini:

Ummm, all of you are smoking crack. Two Words:

MARIO KART

smile.gifsmile.gif

Hellz yeah! Two-player battle mode was absolutely legendary...hitting a straightaway when your opponent has a red homing shell, and using that powerup to jump over a railing...sweet. Only to be topped by the 64 version.

Now that I'm down memory lane, I would have to nominate some old school console games:

Nintendo (orig)

Baseball Stars, Contra (2plyr), Metroid, NHLPA 94, Zeldas, etc.

cpu:

AoE 2

WWII GI- cheesy FPS, but it got the WWII hook into me, that and SPR.

"EMPIRE: Wargame of the Century" - anyone ever play this? Very simple "world" exploration/mil.conquest game. You can D/L it but I can't get that version to work.</font>

Originally posted by Rasmuth:

Achtung Spitfire

Wasn't that designed by yours truly, Charles Moylan?

header_Winelands02.gif

</font>

• Sponsor of the (infamous) Invitational (Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honour of Nabla </font>
  • RoW I/II/III/~ tourney sponsor (Wreck/Championship pending/~)</font>