• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mike:

In no particular order:

X-Com,

Master of Orion,

Fighter Command & USAAF (both Apple 2 games (for me) by SSI),

Bards tale

Battlefront series by SSG (is that the right name?? Rommel, McArthur in Korea, Halls of Montezuma, etc - I still occasionally play them)

The Operational Art of War

My criteria: How often I stayed up playing them until 3-4am with work the next daylight period!! smile.gif

Bards Tale rocked!!! One of my friends had that a long time ago!!

Originally posted by Captain Pies:

Ahhh such memories (wipes tear from corner of eye).

I'd forgotten all about that one 'til you reminded me. Where did you get that screenie? can it be that you are the last person on the planet to own a working ZX Spectrum? let alone a tape recorder to load the games on?

I do have it, but it's not that functional... smile.gif Could be with a minor effort (I think). That screen came from a google search, but the sweet memories it brought.... ;)

Limited it to PC games - here's my list.

DOOM - The reason I failed out of college. Really.

System Shock, Ultima Underworld I & I - anything by looking glass is instanly a classic. SS honestly gave me nightmares.

Zork - best graphics ever, and I'm sincere about that. No NVidia card can come up with the images I created in my head. I wasted alot of time with Moria & NetHack too.

Rally Trophy Championship - Probably the closest I'll ever come to the real thing.

Half Life - yeah, it's on everyone's list but I loved that game.

The first Wolfenstein - not the original one, the first 3D one.

Sam & Max Hit the Road - funny as hell.

CMBO - wasting my life away. Glad I'm not in college with this one or I'd fail out again.

Wost game ever would be Phantasmagoria. Truly awful.

The original X-Com gripped me like no game before or since. An almost perfect blend of tactics, grand strategy, atmosphere and viseral feedback.

Thief: The Dark Project, Red Storm Rising, Unreal Tournament and CMBO/CMBB would be the rest of my top PC list.

Flashback for the Sega Genesis would be my favorite console game. Raiders of the Lost Arc for the Atari 2600 gets an honorable mention here.

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

The original X-Com gripped me like no game before or since. An almost perfect blend of tactics, grand strategy, atmosphere and viseral feedback.

Thief: The Dark Project, Red Storm Rising, Unreal Tournament and CMBO/CMBB would be the rest of my top PC list.

Flashback for the Sega Genesis would be my favorite console game. Raiders of the Lost Arc for the Atari 2600 gets an honorable mention here.

I had Raiders of the lost ark on Atari too! That damn tsi fly used to be a pain.

Heh, yeah. And that thief that would steal an item if he touched you... The thing I liked about that game is that it was hard. When I finally solved it I felt like I had really accomplished something. Too many games these days are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Good thing that's not true of CMBB (see, we're still on topic! ;) )

Ah X-com, I have to say the time I spent playing that was the most satisfying gaming experience I ever had. It had it all. In CMBB I know how the battle will come out (historically) while with X-com you didn't know anything.

The first alien raid on one of my complexs was extraordinary! As was my first attack on one of their bases.

Great game, all that followed was ash and trash

Originally posted by Walker:

Nice site Lindan. Pity they can't offer my all time fav game Airborne Ranger for download. My venerable 5 1/4" floppy sort of decomposed over the years... :(

I have airborne ranger for a c64 emu. Just look up cbm emu's and you'll definitely find that one for it, good stuff. redface.gif Just bout' all games I had for it I found at... well somewhere... its definitely for an emu, you'll find if it you look. smile.gif

Originally posted by Lindan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by murpes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lindan:

Ultima III & IV and ELITE for Atari ST

You made a typo and misspelled "Underworld I & Underworld II" as "III & IV and ELITE."</font>

Since this has switched to everyones favorite game I thought I would go ahead and list mine.

X-Com definately was one my favorites. Why won't anyone remake it? Or at least make a real honest to god sequel. Underwater aliens, & aliens from another dimension just don't cut it I heard sid meir bought the rights to it though so maybe theres hope yet

Red Storm Rising. I remember playing that game forever, purposly losing missions just so I could raise my kill count, making the war go on for years. My only regret was that they never included some sort of stat to see just how many ships you actually sunk during the game. I swear I must have sunk the entire Northern Soviet Fleet 3 times over.

Command HQ. I swear it was the first real time strategy game.

Mule. Simple but insanely fun trading game. I remember the bidding screen with that damn bar, trying to keep it as high as possible and seeing who would blink first.

Fallout 1,2 & Wasteland. Who knew that a post apocolyptic world could be so much fun?

IL-2. Probably the best WWII flight sim game ever made. I just wish I had the money for a high end system with a fancy joystick and rudder pedals so I could get the most out of this game.

Goldeneye & Counterstrike. Goldeneye is still fun today and as far as counterstrike goes don't flame me but it was just so much damn fun in the begining running around de_dust with a bunch of noobs not really caring who won, now its been ruined by cheaters and people who are so good at getting headshots or awping its pointless to play anymore.

Civilization 1 & 2, and Colonization. Colonization was the best of these in my opionion.

Don't much like the new one though.

And of course CMBB, last but not least.