Can anyone identify this flag?

Imagine me waking to that picture in my inbox!

Sweet work, OGSF and you managed to do it without the Scottish accent. Very nice.

I'm going to assume that the coloring on the flag in OGSF's picture is the same. Now mine (I'll have to measure) has to be the 8' variant. No bunting or anything.

What conclusion can we draw considering the difference in this flag and the blue RLB one we saw? I assume that RLB was more or less a national group, so would this flag represent merely a local/regional chapter 'out-flagging' it's neighbors, or could perhaps a higher-up in the RLB have lived in the house the flag was taken from? Perhaps as an RLB 'official' he had stronger government ties.

Or does anyone know anything further about the RLB?

Very interesting indeed.

[ February 27, 2002, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Croda ]

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

I don't think that it even a Gemran flag at all. And i do not beleive that is from the 2nd world war. The swastika before the nazi's got a hold of it was a universal good luck symbol in many cultures. You can find swastikas in ancient jewish temples.

.....i meant to say that it is not a German Flag in my opinion. I can't pin point where it is from, but it certainly is not from the nazi party.

Anyone care to tackle this now?

Originally posted by Croda:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

I don't think that it even a Gemran flag at all. And i do not beleive that is from the 2nd world war. The swastika before the nazi's got a hold of it was a universal good luck symbol in many cultures. You can find swastikas in ancient jewish temples.

.....i meant to say that it is not a German Flag in my opinion. I can't pin point where it is from, but it certainly is not from the nazi party.

Anyone care to tackle this now?</font>

What conclusion can we draw considering the difference in this flag and the blue RLB one we saw?
I'll venture forth that the blue RLB flag, may be the flag from their creation back in 1935 and prior to the party really heating up (war and whatnot), while the red flag may be from a later time (1939 or afterwards), and therefore much more representative of their need to include Nazi symbolism in everything. OGSF's pic doesn't include any date for that version of the flag on display.

My theory; as the situation in Germany progressed from civilianized control of the party over governmental affairs into that of a militarized involvement in warfare, flags such as the RLB would quite naturally have been updated, modified, or altered progressively to represent the passions of the Nazi party and of Nationalistic patriotisms.

Now, the OGSF flag as pictured only states that it is a RLB flag. But, the RLB, was a Nationwide organization and was organized within different regions, cities, etc, with sub-elements and may have adopted many different flags to represent the various sub-organizations. I doubt all of that would have been placed within the confines of the advertisement OGSF has found, and as was nicely discussed in the above link.

Feldgrau.Com

But, not to confuse the issue, IMO the red flag you have and as seen in OGSF's pic was a replacement for the blue flag and thus the RLB's National symbol as it were, and not a sub-element banner.

Croda, I would write back to Flagspot and send them an attachment of OGSF's picture. They'd probably be glad to receive it. Might even add it to their site.

Did you use a blacklight as Steve suggested to see if there are any date prints or other info on it that aren't readily visible to the eye?

[ February 27, 2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Amen; the amount of time they spent on dress regulations after 1943 is truly astounding. The waffenfarbe system they invented was far more complicated than either the prewar or postwar systems that were in use, and the number of different insignia bits was insane - and that was just the Army.

Every organization in Germany had its own dagger, its own flag, its own uniform (with unique shoulder straps and collar patches) - from the bus drivers to the dog catchers, customs officials, postmen, air raid security, railroad workers, you name it. They were not just interested in symbology, they were obsessed with militarism. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of different cuff titles - to name just one type of insignia.

Banners and standards could, and have, filled entire volumes.

Sometimes I think the entire Third Reich was one big fetish. Certainly much of the interest in Third Reich militaria is. Might also check out Panzer Leader's thread in the General Discussion forum.

Michael

OGSF! GREAT WORK!! Thankfully you were not thrown off by earlier educated guess work and instead looked through your copies of "Non-Germanic Ancient Symbols of Good Luck Collectibles Price Guide" :D

Funny enough, I looked through a couple of collectable price guides, but didn't find anything. Hehe... one was from 1985. Think the pricing is still relevant? smile.gif

Steve

Another confirmation, this one from the FOTW mailing list:

The insignia is that of the Reichsluftschutzbund (National Air Raid

Protection League). Almost certainly, the flag is connected with that

organization. However, all flags and arm bands that I can recall were

blue (sometimes medium, sometimes sky blue). I have seen some flags

with

the star and RLB and others with the RLB star (as in your flag), but

they were blue.

He's still a bit stumped, but on the same page.

As a side note on the Swastika's origins and non-Nazi usage, the word "Swastika" is derived from the Sanskrit "svasti," meaning "happiness" or "well-being." It carries a number of meanings in Buddhism and Hinduism, depending on the context and religious "school" or branch. (From Schumacher and Woerner's The Encylopedia of Eastern Philosophy and Religion (Shambhala, 1989)). You can still see it on modern Chinese Buddha statuettes, for instance.

[ February 27, 2002, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Your absolutly right......but it also has not been proven to be correct either.

True. However, with all the empirical evidence you so kindly provide, it is the most logical theory</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Croda:

Yeah me too. Took forever to download. Then it froze my computer every time I tried to open it. I can't even delete the damed thing. Put me in a grumpy mood. Grrr.

:mad:

Michael</font>

Doing some looking around. Check out the first item here. It's the same pattern however mine is most certainly a flag and not a standard, nor as ornate.

(Let me know if I start posting more than anyone cares to read about this).

I hate you Croda. I was just getting ready to post that same site.

Sorry to hear that, Michael. The file is 38kb and a standard .jpg file. Shouldn't have caused any problems at all.
Probably doesn't have his haggis translation script installed correctly. Try using the tartan conversion widget, as that typically works for me when I have a piper down. If that doesn't work, try copying it as a binary file into a text editor with the [jimmy] on and [/jimmy] off tags.

PS: Nice work, Kev. Wee navair knooo yee haid aiht ihn ye mayte.

[ February 27, 2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Goanna ]

What conclusion can we draw considering the difference in this flag and the blue RLB one we saw?

Easy squeezy!

The red flag is for girl nazi's and the blue flag is for boy nazi's.

Its true! I saw it on a cooking show hosted by a drunk Buddhist good luck charmer.

Originally posted by Frenchy:

Originally posted by Stuka:

Easy squeezy!

The red flag is for girl nazi's and the blue flag is for boy nazi's.

Its true! I saw it on a cooking show hosted by a drunk Buddhist good luck charmer.</font>

Croda would have watched the show, only he's emberessed about the way his Dad conducts himself on tv.

Point one, insulting one's lineage, not good. Bush, amateurish and just frickin' lame. And truthfully lacks originality. Point two, in MY Country we prefer the proper spelling: embarrassed as in- Iron Chef should be embarrassed because he is a complete and utter twit.

Originally posted by OGSF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Yeah me too. Took forever to download. Then it froze my computer every time I tried to open it. I can't even delete the damed thing. Put me in a grumpy mood. Grrr.

:mad:

Michael</font>

What is the world coming to? First a Pooler starts off a Grog thread, and the other Poolers pile in. I must say, they all held their own, and were able to come to an agreement on the "correct" answer.

Then instead of a real grog coming in and declaring mastery, we get a lame flamer come to sully up the place.

Poolers 1, Grogs 0

My compliments to the Cesspool. I knew we'd have you come around in time.

Makes me embarrassed to be a grog.

Now, is ICS a Grog-aspirant or a Pool-aspirant?

Or can one be both?

You guys can have him for your team. (I've been wanting to say that since recess in Grade Six - I was always at the other end of that phrase....)

[ February 27, 2002, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]