Perfect shot........if only

Hi all

Here is another little screenie from an ongoing CM Pbem.

My Piat team had managed to get into surely the perfect firing posistion.......but......three Piat bombs later the Tiger turned and killed one of the team. Their being Green I guess didnt help their aim mind you at 14m they could have thrown the damn bomb !! :(

Rearender.jpg

Before anyone asks the Panzer Cmdr is ot a chain smoker that plume is from a earlier victim of this brute smile.gif

Cheers

Missing a Tiger tank from 14m 3 times is pretty much BS to me, and it happens more than it should in the game.

At 14m that Tiger's back side would pretty much fill up the field of view of the PIAT gunner in that direction, he would require skill to miss :mad:

Gyrene

[ March 07, 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

I have the strangest luck with these things. I hit a moving Panther with a zook at 190 meters. My opposition wasn't amused. It was the Wiltz scn but I don't remeber the crew rating. Doubt it was very high though. Likewise I tend to get hit at long ranges. :mad:

From gbaker59:

I have the strangest luck with these things. I hit a moving Panther with a zook at 190 meters. My opposition wasn't amused.
Same here. In one game not long ago I hit and Killed TWO moving Shermans with the same Panzer shrek in the same turn (on consecutive shots). One was killed at 160 meters and the other at 195 meters.

Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you..............

Originally posted by Gyrene:

Missing a Tiger tank from 14m 3 times is pretty much BS to me, and it happens more than it should in the game.

At 14m that Tiger's back side would pretty much fill up the field of view of the PIAT gunner in that direction, he would require skill to miss :mad:

Gyrene

Think of the fear one would be facing in such a situation. Especially if it is a "green" troop. Knowing that you are behind the enemy, and cut off. Not knowing exactly what is coming right up behind you or on your flanks (assuming he allowed the enemy to by-psss him.) I would imagine he would fire off a round or two and get out as fast as possible. I could see someone missing, if they are new to battle.

But, getting off 3 rounds from 14m and not hitting the panzer is rather fishy.

Originally posted by wbs:

From gbaker59:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I have the strangest luck with these things. I hit a moving Panther with a zook at 190 meters. My opposition wasn't amused.

Same here. In one game not long ago I hit and Killed TWO moving Shermans with the same Panzer shrek in the same turn (on consecutive shots). One was killed at 160 meters and the other at 195 meters.

Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you..............</font>

I've had a Bazooka miss a Panther side on at 5 metres.

And I've got a picture of it if someone can give me a page to post it on.

This guy could have reached out and touched the damn thing!!

But it's strange how zooks and PIATs can hit at upto 200m. From the accounts I've read hitting anything over 50m was a sheer fluke.

Hi JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

The team is in command too - what was the rating of the leader?

JonS

I think he was bog standard with no bonus stats in command of a whole platoon of Green types.

(Just checked he had a +1 Cmd Bonus nothing else)

Thankfully the Tiger having turned to engage the Inf and Piat was brewed through turret rear on next turn by a Cromwell I raced forward to seize just this opportunity smile.gif

Cheers

[ March 08, 2002, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Gary Barr ]

I've noticed that piats have an exagerated difficulty in hitting targets at a higher elevation than they are. This might be a problem for zooks also. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've run a small test..not too conclusive, but it supports what I've seen.

It seems there's a hit probability curve with the PIAT. The optimal range feels like 60m or so, but get too close and the chance of a first round hit drops. At least that's how it feels.

Missing from 15m? Maybe that's because being 15m from an exploding PIAT round would be suicide! Hell, I woudn't fire from 15m either! I have fired from too close from a tank too, which tends to cause the dreaded 'gun hit' dammage message

Chupacabra writes:

Blast goes into the armor.

well... a shaped charge round may have a conical inner surface that focuses the blast (actually, the collapsed copper liner in most instances) but let's not forget it has an OUTER surface as well with a nice green-painted metal jacket. I'd hate to get whacked in the forehead by the remains of the PIAT tail fin comin' back at me! :D