***Rumblings Of War II: The Boots & Tracks Brawl***

Kunstler,

I've found that when the PC guy zips the file(s), Mac people are often spared various problems similar to what you describe. Are you having problems with files I sent you? Those were zipped. If you are having problems with one of your opponents, have them zip the files.

Treeburst155 out.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treeburst,

thnx for the response. All your files came thru perfectly, as have files from other opponents who zipped/stuffed'em.

One of my opponents tho doesn't have any compression program, so I was hoping there might be some other workaround. I guess he can either get Zipit or Stuffit or we go TCP/IP.

kunstler

Whadda ya mean “like” school girls, they “were” school girls, my secret to ultimate victory. :cool:

Wow, in the multitude of CM scenarios I’ve played never, repeat never, have I played in mountainous terrain like this before. So many lines of sight from every camera angle.

I tried to setup but like Mr. Kettler my brain overloaded.

I’ll send out the 1st turn tonight though now that I’ve had all day to think about just what the heck I’m going to do.

[ June 07, 2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Ted ]

bigger?? how counter-intuitive of them!

Does Stuffit .sit files work with windows zip program? I thought they did but now there seems to be a problem with that. I thought stuffit or dropstuff worked cross platform; maybe I need the zip for mac then.

curse my problematic mac!

k

Originally posted by redwolf:

Regarding compression: you realize that PBEM files are actually getting bigger during mail transfer when you compress them?

Redwolf,

I have been playing PBEM for nearly two years now. I have sent and received over 1,000 emails with compressed attachments and what you describe has NEVER happened even once.

Originally posted by SuperTed:

I have been playing PBEM for nearly two years now. I have sent and received over 1,000 emails with compressed attachments and what you describe has NEVER happened even once.

You cannot compare the sizes of the files on disk. The original PBEM file is an ASCII file, the compressed file is binary. But the actualy SMTP mail transfer is always done in ASCII, so your apprently smaller compressed file is re-wrapped in ASCII again, thereby bumping its size over that of the original PBEM file (which already is ascii and hence not converted on transfer).

Or in other words: the pbem file written by CMBO is already compressed and then wrapped in ASCII. If you compress an already compressed file, it gets bigger when you compare the needed ascii representations.

http://thforums.com/CMBO/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=2&categories=CMBO+FAQ%27s&parent_id=0#2 has a full explanation with actual file sizes as they are transferred.

Originally posted by SuperTed:

redwolf is correct. If you're on a PC and use any Microsoft mailprogram it's fairly easy to see. Just include size as one of the columns in your inbox view. That is the actual size of the mail after the mailtool has done its thing. Compare it with the size of the zipped file or text file on the disk. Zipped files adds roughly 30% overhead data, which disappears when you save the attachment on the HD.

[ June 07, 2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Visom ]

Originally posted by Jeb:

Hey there Treeburst,

Just wondering if I'm missing something here. Have you sent all the scenario files already? I haven't received the last two yet.

Jeb

I also miss two. He said it would take awhile, I assume he'll drop by and let us know when he's done...

Right I need sleep, those damn mountains have addled my brain...

The first two set ups have been done and sent out for St Mere Eglise and Fire on The Mount.

White4 and Cogust let me know if you have not yet got them?

I am off to bed and look forward to seeing more superb maps on the marrow as these are the only two I have seen so far.

Night folks

H

P.s. It goes without saying thanks lads for these games.

smile.gif

The Brief for Fire on the Mount is one of the best I have ever read. The game promises to be awesome and I hope I live through it.

:eek:

Some interesting challenges ahead.

I think I am the one who Kunstler is talking about. I have Winzip but when I tried to compress the file in an experiment in the distant past there was no difference in the file size before and after compression so I just assumed the trial version, which I downloaded, could only decompress. No?

OK I am probably jumping the gun but I don't have scens 4 and 5 yet. Do we have a time table for that? Also, I have sent out 2 setups and not gotten anything back. Home from work late and no turns :( . Hey ROW 1, GROUP IV lets rock and roll.

I second, or third, the comments on the Fire map, simply awesome.

On zipping turns, all I know is that by doing so file problems between Mac and PC tend to go away. The trial version of Winzip will zip a file. Simply right click on the PBEM file and you'll see a WinZip menu item for zipping. It will say something like "add to <PBEM filename>.zip. Clicking on this will create a zipped turn file.

I still have two scenarios to pass out. I didn't get a big enough chunk of time today to take on that project. I'm going to start sending again as soon as I get done checking the forum. ;)

Treeburst155 out.

When using dropstuff with a PC guy, you can skip a lot of hassle

if you go to preferences and check "Make self extracting for PC".

That way the other side shouldn't need anything to

expand the file.

I think the new version of Dropstuff can also make .zip

files instead of .sit.

For PC guys, both Dropstuff and Stuffit Expander are

also availlable for PC here .

I use them on mine and highly recommend them, even if

for just zipping and unzipping.

Anyway.. I'm off for a few days, probably won't be able to send

all setups before I leave.. patience..

[ June 08, 2002, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

To all players in Tournay III, section 1

(1\3 for all you in to military unit names).

Please use the full scenario name when attaching you game or zip files. It is hard enough keeping e-mail addresses and list names straight without trying to figure out file names as well. In addition, please let me know if you DON'T want numbered turns. I will number the turns unless you don't want it done.

FrankV,

Check your email. We have a slot for you.

My backup list is now down to one guy who won't be available for several more weeks. If you want to be on the backup list, email me.

You should probably read the last half of page one of this thread before you sign up. Look for a post entitled "How it Works" by Treeburst155. This is the first of three consecutive posts that should give you all the info you need about the tourney. Thanks!!

Treeburst155 out.