CMBB telephone pole doodads

I've posted this request before. But now there's a name for this type of "disney dust" to make this game history's best war game.

Although 95% of the game is completed probably only 5o% of the new features or graphics have been shown to the public. There always seems to be a thread of CMBB in which our game gods throw us a bone about "new" features. Maybe this one could stir up some chatter.

My assumption on this is that there won't be telephone poles as 'doodads'. From what has been revealed so far it appears that the 'doodads' are somewhat randomly placed on certain terrain types. Telephone poles wouldn't work real great with that scheme since they're typically placed in a very ordered, linear layout.

It would be nice if BTS could include such items, perhaps some new tiles with telephone poles near roads instead of 'trees'. But such eye-candy requests are probably at the bottom of the list now and will have to wait for the next release before they're considered.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

How many Russian roads would even have them? Any uber-phone grogs know how well Russia was wired back then?<hr></blockquote>

Very few. From what I have read in the book "The Road to Stalingrad" they had very few. Infact it wasn't till 1943 that they had a even usefull land line system setup.

I would assume that most decent sized villages (1000-5000 and up) would have something, though it would probably be limited to a handful of buildings. Of course there would be many rural villages that wouldn't have any telephone lines. Still you would probably see some lines next to roads (or railroad tracks) in rural areas as they traverse the countryside between urban centers.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

The earliest utility poles would have been for telegraph, not telephone. Then for electrical power. It seems likely to me that by the 1940s most of Europe (including the Soviet Union) would have been electrified, and therefore criss-crossed by a tangle of wires and studded with utility poles, except perhaps in the most remote, rural areas.

One of the advantages to doodads is that they are RANDOMLY placed within a specific tile of terrain. That keeps the overhead down.

In order to do telephone pools correctly would require them to be PLACED specifically along side roads and that would in turn mean addional code to handle their placement and orientation and all sorts of little things that go into putting graphics on the screen.

They also serve NO tactical use what so ever and as such that is not worth the overhead, coding time or effort to put these items in.

In order for us to add anything (and at this point we arent adding ANYTHING else to the code, but since we havent told you a whole lot about what IS in it will all seem new when you hear about it) there has to be a significant NEED for it to be included which outwieghs the cost in time and effort.

Poles dont even register on the "Need-o-meter".

Madmatt

OK, then, what will Doodads be used for? I'm trying to picture in my mind the type of item/feature that might be crying out for such treatment, as I understand it: randomly placed, organic to the terrain type, have an effect on gameplay (is there such a thing as a big doodad or a little doodad re: cover, etc.?)

Anyhow, guessing that perhaps this point was what Hoopenfaust was getting at in starting this thread, then, are there any guesses at what things would/could be a doodad feature? Madmatt?

Heres one guess: how about factory machinery in the "build your own" factory complexes?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

OK, then, what will Doodads be used for? I'm trying to picture in my mind the type of item/feature that might be crying out for such treatment, as I understand it: randomly placed, organic to the terrain type, have an effect on gameplay (is there such a thing as a big doodad or a little doodad re: cover, etc.?)

Anyhow, guessing that perhaps this point was what Hoopenfaust was getting at in starting this thread, then, are there any guesses at what things would/could be a doodad feature? Madmatt?

Heres one guess: how about factory machinery in the "build your own" factory complexes?<hr></blockquote>

we have seen screen shots of grave Headstones in a graveyard as doodads, in that case they work GREAT

doodaads ALSO make Wheat fields sort of 3D and they too look VERY believable because they have wheat doodads in them

see the screen shots posted already of dooddads

(Sorry I'm not sure off hand where to find them)

-tom w

Okay, I am not quite sure what is being asked here but if you want a list of current doodads off the top of my head they are:

Headstones in cemetaries

Wheat

Bushes (used in brush and in treebases)

Tufts of grass (also used in Marsh IIRC)

Rubble

Crates in factory buildings

Rocks

Steepe (big clumps of grass and brush)

ummm, there might be more but thats all I can think of at the moment.

All of those types of terrain can have doodads placed pretty much anywhere within the tiles 20x20 meter area. In order to do telephone poles properly would require precission placement akeen to how buildings are placed and that would require too much coding at this late stage in the game.

Madmatt

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Madmatt ]</p>

Whenever they DO get around to adding telephone poles I would like them to add lamp post and road signs to the list for city fights. On that same note, I would like to see non rectangular buildings and narrower streets.

Also, how about farm animals (alive or dead), farm equipment (e.g feeding troughs, old tractors), junk or abandoned cars, trucks, and and carts, and just the normal junk that one would see randomly lying around a barn or farm house, or town just as mentioned above to keep the scenery from being so empty of objects.

I couldn't tell from the screenshot, but do the gravestones have names or writing on them? You know:

Ivan Baranof, 1922-1943

"I told you the armor on our tank was only 80% quality, but did you listen?"

Hans Shultz, 1920-1944

"No, wait, that's not the password. I meant to say ... "

Fritz Von Lang, heart failure, 1925-1944

Ran with his HMG

Vasilli Petrokov, 1919-1942

Didn't see the panzerfaust

Charles Moylan, 1950-2001

Listened to everyone who said he shouldn't rest until CMBB was done

I think the main reason there will be no telephone pole doodads is that Moon, in his new capacity as President, decided they should not be included. Steve & Charles would love to include them, but under the circumstances it is now impossible. All complaints should naturally be directed toward Moon. ;)

Michael Dorosh said: <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Now we want furniture in the houses! <hr></blockquote>

Yes! Yes!

And let us incorporate all our characters and houses from The Sims! I've got some lovely WWII-style wallpaper mods.

smile.gif

Sten

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Leeo:

Oh please...

It's good they're making the improvements they are. What a greedy lot.<hr></blockquote>

Oh, sorry Leeo - I forgot to add that Leeo wants a Hero of the Soviet Union in the game named after him.

He's just too shy to ask for himself...

;):D

(Yeah, Leeo, we're just goofing here - CMBB looks to be pretty great, and we know we're not going to get any more chrome - we don't mean to appear ungrateful! )