GameSpy Reader's Strat GOTY Votes are In!

Oh come now, I see nothing wrong with the quotes chosen to illustrate the selection criteria used by the fans:

"Definitely Warcraft III. I haven't been this hooked to a PC game since Starcraft. This game has caused me more problems in my schoolwork than anything else this year."

-- Elwin

"Warcraft III. I know this game disappointed some people, but when you really think about it ... the game plain rocks! It's got sweet graphics, a great storyline, and the cinematics are just amazing and fun to watch. Blizzard rules!"

-- Ziggy

I think you're all overreacting ... D00dz.

Joe

[ December 27, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Joe Shaw ]

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

How can you put Roller Coaster Tycoon and CMBB in the same catagory?

How can you not?? I mean it has Rollercoasters!!!

Plus you get to tycoon!!

I'm still furious that SuperPower was left out of the running. :D

[ December 27, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Gaylord Focker ]

Actually I reckon that 2.9% of the vote for CMBB is pretty impressive for a "niche" market.

Going back to a question that was asked here about putting the CM series onto game boxes I'd say that if it continues at that level then the commercial success of the series is assured for quite a long time on a variety of platforms.

Well now, let's not be too hasty to bash those who prefer Warcraft III over CM:BB.

You gotta remember that CM:BB was not made for the generic "RTS" masses, whereas WarIII defidently was. I would hardly expect that every 15y.o is going to drop a fast paced Warcraft III game for a much slower paced, thinking-style game that is CM:BB.

How many of you guys would have picked chess over basketball (or your sport of choice) when you were in the 13-18 age bracket? Some here will probably say "Well I did!" - but try asking how many of those who voted WarIII who would pick chess over their favourite ball-sport.

Very few I would imagine.

People want an enjoyable game, which is often not the most realistic game.

It's Gamespy, what do you expect? Look, the fact that CMBB appeared on their poll at all is amazing, given the fact that it is sold exclusively via the Internet, with the exception of Europe.

CMBB is a different beast and shouldn't be compared to Warcraft III in the first place. Both are great, as is Medieval. Blizzard did a great job balancing WCIII, and when I'm in the mood for that type of seizure-inducing twitchy game, there's nothing better.

I guess the dissapointment here stems not least from the fact that we have yet again been proven to be a niche market.

Sometimes you'd think quality thinking man games are an endagered species when today's game designers cater to the people with the most cash for games - the youngsters - which obvisiously want fast eye candy over any realism.

Coming from the Flight Sim World, I'm already used to the feeling :D

But as long as there are companys like Battlefront, and ways to sell excellent niche products on other lanes as the mass market, we should get out fix.

I think it's a bit like Titney Queers and the non-mainstream quality music. Not everyone wants to be a teeny star, anyway (no disrespect to the guys here still playing Warcraft 3 tongue.gif )

Actually,

When CMBB is pulling the same kind of numbers as Heros and Starfleet command, believe me that made some corporate suit look up the game and the market.

Imagine that MBA grad, pointing out that with greater distribution, that 2.9% translates into a profit making level. I'm sure that at least one of the major development companies has looked at battlefront and perhaps even contacted them.

Of course I would love to have heard the BFC answer of NO THANKS YOU SUIT WEARING FREAK OF NATURE!

I think that CMBB getting even mentioned in the contest is an achievement. Gamespy-supported games are a way off from the genre that is representated by CMBB. Probably the majority of those votes for it came from these forums, but anyhow it's great to see BF.C made it into the list !

As to the W3 winning the whole set, though, it went as was predicted. The most popular game in a given category is bound to win, and sales-wise CMBB doesn't even compare to the likes of Civilization, Warcraft, C & C or whatever... But, what you'd need to remember is that these businesses are in it for the money ! They've found the hidden formula to please as wide a market as possible. They know how to make a game that sells. I believe that is the key.

BF.C, however, manufactures games that cater for the more demanding market. Grogs. There aren't too many of them around, and it's real hard to please 'em. If you do ,however , then you know that you're doing something right ! Personally I wouldn't give a t**s about them GOTY awards. As long as I've a game that plays well and I enjoy it, then why bother with awards ? Not everyone is bound to like a game that may suit my own demands !