Four Eyes meets the Speccy Twat: How to stop it?

Now I do love CMBB. Really. I do. But one thing does niggle me just a little bit.

This is the amount of people out there wearing spectacles. Nice graphic feature, but realistic - nope. Being a sad sort I have being scanning picture books (words scare me) on the Eastern Front. I have concluded that the amount of spectacle wearing represented in CMBB is grossly out of proportion to the historical reality. It's laughable really. It brings out the school bully in me. I keep asking my little e-guys: How did you make it to be a machine-gunner in the Red Army/tank commander in the Waffen SS with spectacles you four-eyed git?

I do want the occasional monocles for Wehrmacht Battalion Commanders/wire rimless Trotsky jobs for the occasional commisar. But the present level of Jap sniperism is too much. Please can someone point out for me the offending bmps?

By 1941 the Waffen SS had relaxed their physical fitness requirements. They were recruiting just about everybody. Only 2 years later they formed a Bosnian Muslim division ( The Handschar ). This would have been unthinkable in 1933. That's how guys with glasses get into The Waffen SS.

Question: Can I wear my own glasses or contacts?

The one-word answer is NO. When you arrive at the reception station, you will be getting an eye test. If it is determined that you need glasses (whether you had them before or not), you will get a prescription for glasses. Hopefully, you'll get your glasses before shipping to your basic training company. You will get two pair. These glasses are "affectionately" called BCGs or Birth Control Glasses, due to their good looks. You will still hang on to your civilian pair, just in case pigs really do fly, and you lose or break both your BCGs. Get used to wearing them, even if they are a bit heavier than your civilian glasses. You can even get one of those nifty "stylish" bands to secure them to your noggin. Yes, you'll get headaches for the first week or so, if you are not used to glasses or this prescription, but it is vital you get used to them before you start Basic Rifle Marksmanship in the fourth week of BT. No see, no hit, no qualify, no graduate...really simple.

Originally posted by Determinant:

Being a sad sort I have being scanning picture books (words scare me) on the Eastern Front. I have concluded that the amount of spectacle wearing represented in CMBB is grossly out of proportion to the historical reality.

I won't comment on your personal tastes since you're entitled to them, but as for your historical conclusions, you may have wanted to draw different inferences.

As people in eyeglasses make poor subjects for propaganda purposes, since they are associated with physical weakness, as well as reflecting light, etc. - if you were wearing glasses for a staged propaganda shot (the majority of WW II "combat" photography was staged), the photographer would probably have told you to take your glasses off first.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

As people in eyeglasses make poor subjects for propaganda purposes, since they are associated with physical weakness, as well as reflecting light, etc. - if you were wearing glasses for a staged propaganda shot (the majority of WW II "combat" photography was staged), the photographer would probably have told you to take your glasses off first.[/QB]

Obviously then, the logical conclusion is that we should be bugging BFC to animate our soldiers removing their spectacles every time we zoom in for a screen shot. Forget the rewrite! We want pixilated soldiers that pose for the camera! Who’s with me on this? :D

Since all German soldiers were blonde haired, blue eyed aryan types, it would stand to reason that a lot of them were eyeglass wearers since blued eyed people are more susceptible to eye problems. Take a look at the perfect "example of Aryan purity" Heinrich Himmler. :D

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

As people in eyeglasses make poor subjects for propaganda purposes, since they are associated with physical weakness, as well as reflecting light, etc. - if you were wearing glasses for a staged propaganda shot (the majority of WW II "combat" photography was staged), the photographer would probably have told you to take your glasses off first.

Obviously then, the logical conclusion is that we should be bugging BFC to animate our soldiers removing their spectacles every time we zoom in for a screen shot. Forget the rewrite! We want pixilated soldiers that pose for the camera! Who’s with me on this? :D [/QB]</font>

Fools! You are, as always blinded (note the heavy irony) by your modern assumptions.

I am reminded of when in a previous life I was on exercise (NATO tm) in company with the US Army's 3/75th Rangers and British paratroopers (evil, bad men to be sure) laughed themselves silly at the goggly American special forces (more laughter) one in four (or so it seemed) of whom were wearing diving goggles which were in fact their issue spectacles. Poor fools. This was of course just pre-Mogadishu days. Didn't see any of those specs in the film 'Blackhawk Down' but I'm now badly off track.

Has no-one watched LA Confidential? The LAPD detectives' department in the post war 50's avoided wearing glasses so it seems. I know, I know James Ellroy probably lies. But I find it very hard to believe that the Red Army in particular (a peasant army after all) issued glasses to its men and I'm betting that the uber-men of the brave new world of the Third Reich squinted a lot and put a brave face on things.

Does nobody know the bmps for spectacles?

At the risk of taking this far too seriously, you are probably correct about the Soviet Army, but the Germans did issue eyeglasses - dienstbrille, IIRC - to its soldiers, as well as gaskmaskebrille (or gasmaskenbrille or somesuch). Not sure what the eyesight requirement was during the war, but like all else, it probably decreased.

If you are truly interested.

Don't know the bmp number - if you had Windows you could just browse through the whole folder with the "thumbnail" option.... tongue.gif

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Since all German soldiers were blonde haired, blue eyed aryan types, it would stand to reason that a lot of them were eyeglass wearers since blued eyed people are more susceptible to eye problems. Take a look at the perfect "example of Aryan purity" Heinrich Himmler. :D

Or that tall, muscular, strapping blonde lad, Hitler himself!

Joques "I needed to get addicted to this game like Hitler needed an ugly toothbrush mustache"

Well thank you for the suggestion Michael. I was finally motivated to get off my lazy fat bottom and crack open the mysterious BMP folder.

Goggles is at 5102. My opponents will notice that the performance of my troops will henceforth be even more groping and myopic than before. If such a thing is possible.

While we're looking hard at the shifty untrusting faces of our men 5120 is going to find himself on report if he doesn't stand a little closer to the razor in the morning.

Toodle Pip!