A COMPLIMENT on the EXCELLENT manual.

Franko

Just a quick post to say that the Manual for the US version is outstanding. Its well written, clear, and concise. I encourage everyone to actually sit down on the read it. It addresses many of the issues people post and ask about here. Come on guys, take it with you next time you're on the can. You'll be glad you did.

I dont have it with me (I'm at work), so I forgot who actually wrote it (Moon?). Whoever it is, you did an outstanding job.

Frank

The manual is a treat in these days of less than adequate documentation.

Kudos should indeed go to Martin for the excellent effort.

I am also looking forward to the strategy manual essentially because I am proficient only in my ability to turn a probable victory into a crashing defeat. It's like my units have the 'big red target' mod applied.

Most strategy guides are merely the missing documentation that should have been included in the box at purchase. I will be very curious to see what kind of information will be put out with this one. The general good will I have toward BFC inclines to make me more interested in this one.

BDH

I didn't think I was letting the cat out of the bag since the credits in the manual include the author of the strategy guide and gives his name as Mark H. Walker. tongue.gif

Charles also mentioned something about it the other day to in an unrelated thread.

When do you want my money?

BDH

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Hear hear! I wish I had time to read it!

Bah! We wish you could read, lad. You only seem able to post!

It's very true, though, that the manual is excellent. When I told a friend at work that the game came with a 260 page manual that I was getting a lot of great info out of, they were incensed.

"You bought a game that came with a large, useful manual?!!! I buy professional software packages that come with throw away brochures that tell me nothing more than how to double-click on the program icon, and then refer me to the unbelievably inane online help!"

So, good on ya', BFC and Moon!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Now its the turn of the Beta testers to be jealous of YOU! I haven't seen the final product yet. Just imagine, a completed game with the manual included. Be still my heart.

I know! We've all been taunting Berli unmercifully about it. Sometimes I call him up just to read him particularly choice passages, then laugh and hang up.

So how come the German picture is reversed? It drives the uniform grogs mad, seeing the female closure on the tunic front - or is this some sort of subtle hint of BFC's anti-German bias? ;) I had a King Tiger knocked out in an operation the other day, so I guess that answers that one...

And the screen shot on page 10 shows the backwards Rs in the splash screen...!!!

I do like all the screen shots of stuff included in the manual - but there is one bmp for terrain that I have no idea what it is...and the manual excludes it as well.

25114 anybody? Looks kinda like a hedgerow.

BF.C crew, you have my thanks as well- nice manuel, informative, w/ good graphics and the nice "here's why we did its" strewn throughout, i.e. why only Germans have non-standard optics.

It is a large manual, but that just makes it my #1 candidate for bathroom reading at the office!

The one initial "con" I found is not a con at all- you've solved it nicely- I was thinking that wouldn't it be great if you "bolded/highlighted" the CHANGES to the manual (relative to the CMBO one), since it is very obvious that much of the CMBO manual was lifted verbatim for CMBB. However, you were kind enough to put the "OSTFRONT" section in at the end, which summarized all manual differences in CMBB- thanks.

My one complaint is that there is no title on the spine. It's going on the shelf with my other books after I have read it, and it should have a title so it is easily identifiable. Because of this flaw I can no longer enjoy CMBB. After all, the manual is the most important part of any game. ;)

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

My one complaint is that there is no title on the spine. It's going on the shelf with my other books after I have read it, and it should have a title so it is easily identifiable. Because of this flaw I can no longer enjoy CMBB. After all, the manual is the most important part of any game. ;)

Yeah, but which way do you print it? The French way and the American way are opposite - one is "right side up" when you lay the book face down on a table, the other is right side up when the book is face up on a table.

Jfink, after a first try to make a more common version of an index (alphabetical) it turned out to be more of a mess than helpful in finding the stuff you need. There were like several dozen entries for "morale", and I haven't counted how many for "unit". The index started out at 25 pages of relevant terms, at which point I threw it away smile.gif

Martin