What Should Be in the Patch?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by JonS:

Pending the forthcoming info from Matt, I have something I'd like to throw into the ring:

The ability to load completed games into the scenario editor. Either surrenders or AARs. A subtle enhancement would be to allow loading of games against the AI at any time.

I'm working on a map at the moment, and thought that a nifty way to add bombardment damage would be to add a bunch of spotters, have them cut loose, then load the game back into the editor and carry on from there. Sadly, it won't let that happen :( An auto-generated map c/w damage doesn't give what I was after.

Be cool

JonS

And what about allowing AI vs AI play, with the player just watching ? It'll help designers to balance scenarios / evaluate AI reactions... AND it will give us an infinity of tense, realistic war movies to watch !! :D:D

Hell, I'd vote for AI vs AI play simply 'cause I'm lazy and shiftless. Nobody told me playing the game was going to involve hand movements and thought processes!

;)

Back to the patch wish list:

An earlier post suggested the ability to scroll down the unit editor list using the arrow keys. I'd also like to be able to delete a selected unit by hitting the delete key.

And a foolish one. I love the box doodads in the factories, but could you also add a separate larger 'thing' doodad as well? Something that'll just be one or two per structure and will be big enough for the mod artists to change the bmps to generators or presses (or playboy bunny scans) or whatever.

Something I have always wished was in the game would be a partial human/partial computer pick QB. This would be for situations where I want to play against the AI and either don't trust the computer to pick competent enemy forces, or want to try a specific armor matchup, but I don't want to know everything that the computer has bought.

So, for example, in a July '41 ME 1000 pt ME, say, I would like to be able to pick the Axis forces myself, and specify that the computer has a KV-2 and 2 T-34s, but let the rest of the force pick be a surprise.

Does anyone else think that this would be useful/interesting/fun?

I suppose it doesn't have to make it into this patch; I could wait for the next patch. :D

I'm not 100% certain, but if you were to import a stand-alone map into a quickbattle you have to option of importing a placed unit/vehicle along with the map. So a KV-1 could theoreticall come along with the map.

I know the placed units will import if you're doing the selecting. I don't know if the AI will keep the units if its doing its own selecting. something to test.

I'm full of bright ideas today (should be read with a touch of irony).

One tweak that coould go into a patch. Early Stugs with their folding hatches were MUCH less weather-sealed than the later types. That was a big source of complaint about the early Stugs. I'm of the opinion the Stug Bs should be more succeptible to damage from molotov cocktails than they are now.

-- edited to discard random words :D --

[ October 09, 2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

OK, this is a really wimpy request and I don't know if anyone else does this. I typically play with full trees on the screen and like latching on to a unit and dropping down to Level-1 or 2 whenever something really cool happens during a movie. Problem is, when that cool happening occurs in a forest, dropping down to 1 or 2 typically just gets you branches and tree-trunks in your face and you can't really see the squad or gun that you locked on to. So then I hit shift-T 3 or 4 times to zap the trees so I can see the unit, then after the cool happening is done I zoom out again and hit shift-T 3-4 times again to put the trees back to full. I've often wished there would just be a quick "Get Rid Of Trees" hot-key available to temporarily zap them for the purposes of getting close to something cool happening deep in the bowels of a forested region and then returning them back to the modelling preference afterwards.

I'm sure if I was the programmer of the game and someone asked me for this I would decide that it doesn't really fit and it's kind of ackward having 2 commands dealing with trees and I wouldn't do it. But what the hell - can't hurt to ask.

Wish list

1. Ability to select any vehicle and save as "German captured XX Tank" or "Soviet captured XX vehicle" with the editor.

2. Infantry Editor - select the nation, the number of men, select weapons from a list box, amount of anmo and save as "xx infantry".

3. Ability to save Maps at any time "Quick battles, during a battle/operation or at the end of a game".

4. More placeholders for vehicles for the future, let's face it, it's gone be 3 years or more before we see another release. It shure would be nice to see a couple of new vehicles a year or so from now.

Some chrome I would like to see:

1.) Ability to buy Companies and even Battalions of tanks. Just treat them like infantry formations so you can pick the lower orginazation levels if you wish. Change platoon button to formations or something.

2.) As an alternative to 1.) Give the option to buy a HQ tank. Could be abusable but with a proper cost it should be fine.

3.) Give the option to edit unit ranks as well as names in the purchase screen and/or editor. Fixes some of my problems with 1.

The Reason for the two above is that if I as an example want to simulate a Tank bat 43 pattern I have to buy six platoons of tanks and individual tanks to respresent HQ's but they are still just sergants and have no command bonuses.

These changes would add a small bit of realism and I'd love to see them. I pity those that needs to go through all the lists though...

Patch:

1) Allow 7500 and 10000 point QBs

2) Allow 90 turns for QBs

3) Allow Maps to be imported into QBs, with the provision, that the opponent gets a flag advising them the map is imported, to stop map fixing

4) Graphics for planes, would add a whole new dimension to the game

Just found out about Pioneers blowing up buildings within 30 metres. I believe this is great and will help to stop boring standoffs in towns !!

I'd like to see an in-game list of units pop up in a little window. Using said window, we should be able to see unit state (morale, ammo, casualties, etc).

We should then be able to click on any unit and immediately center on that unit.

1. Not gonna happen. It would violate all sorts of things like their contract with CDV, not to mention the law smile.gif

2. Good idea. I thought of it too when I got the full version

3. Also a good idea, even though I don't use the tilt feature that much. That could be because I change views often and it just keeps resetting itself.

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

[QB]1. Not gonna happen. It would violate all sorts of things like their contract with CDV, not to mention the law smile.gif

I didn't know german laws rule in finland.

Also I would like to be able to buy what I want. Not to be forced by monopoly agreements of companies.

I feel theres something very wrong with those "laws".

Why was CDV not made responsible for delievering un-censored version to rest of its marketing area? Im sure that would have done only good for sales and their reputation. Europe is much more than just germany.

If they wish to sell germanized version I hope next time they will do it IN GERMANY. And let rest of us be free to choose.

[ October 09, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: illo ]