Has the price been mentioned yet?

I'm in the middle of moving house and have been off line for the last fortnight. I note the release date has finally been set but I can't find any reference to a price. Has it been mentioned yet? Will the sale of my children into indentured labour be necessary?

[ July 31, 2002, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Brian ]

You know the old saying...if you have to ask, you can't afford it. I'm sorry, I haven't a word on that subject.

I am curious to know, however, what everyone here would be willing to pay....

Don't get any funny ideas, BFE. Or whatever you guys call yourselves now.

Well, BFC was considering a price of 'Rumplestiltskin-esqe' proportions, but the black-market for babies is getting a bit tedious to ply.

Instead BFC has decided that they'll need direct access to your accounts (savings, checking, 401k, you get the idea) that still have funds in them. Since most of us will only be productive members of society until the day we receive CMBB, your accounts will be drained at the soonest opportunity. But don't worry, BFC are some nice guys and they'll leave you enough money to go out and get your final drink and meal (and hey if you're married then the wife will have a little less to take from you in the divorce).

What !? A serious answer you say ? Well, they haven't quoted a price as of yet, but it will most likely be between US$45-60, not including shipping. There hasn't been any further details on shipping options or their costs either as of yet (though we'll assume that USPS will be one of them).

[ July 31, 2002, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Brian:

I'm in the middle of moving house and have been off line for the last fortnight.

Wondered where you'd got off to. Not like you to be so quiet. ;)

You'll be gratified to know that while thumbing through one of my books on MGs that I came across a rare photo of a Bren mounted on an actual TRIPOD! I even posted the fact, but it was while you were gone, so you missed it.

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Doug Beman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

"One-million dollars!" *holds pinky finger to corner of mouth*

no! "one-hundred billion dollars!"</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian:

I'm in the middle of moving house and have been off line for the last fortnight.

Wondered where you'd got off to. Not like you to be so quiet. ;)

You'll be gratified to know that while thumbing through one of my books on MGs that I came across a rare photo of a Bren mounted on an actual TRIPOD! I even posted the fact, but it was while you were gone, so you missed it.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Doug Beman:

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The price is now set at 26.59 pounds. That's about $42.00 US, right?

Steve

Yes Steve. Software First are normally cheaper than the the high street, so the price in the UK shops will probably be £29.99 - about $45 - same as the CDV version of CMBO.

As usual for my posts, dead silence.

Certainly. Machine Guns, by Peter Chamberlain & Terry Gander, part of the WW2 Fact Files series. Page 38, photograph 4. They have photos of several types of AA mounts for it as well, which is a trifle odd considering that it probably didn't get a lot of use in that role, right?

The section on UK MGs has quite a lot of odd kit. Ever hear of the Hefah machine gun? Well, I never did before.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brian:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys: You'll be gratified to know that while thumbing through one of my books on MGs that I came across a rare photo of a Bren mounted on an actual TRIPOD! I even posted the fact, but it was while you were gone, so you missed it.

And the reaction was?

</font>

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That much money simply doesn't exist. I don't think l00 billion is even a number. It's like saying I want a kajillion bajillion dollars.

DjB

Is that an American billion or an European billion? A billion should be 1000 milliards, i.e. million millions (10^12), but in an American context it usually is only 10^9 (milliard).

Just out of curiosity, when and why did you lose the M-word?

M

And the reaction was?

I could give you lessons, if you desire on how to get your posts noticed. ;)
Thanks, but your style is your own and I wouldn't be thought of as a copycat.

They have photos of several types of AA mounts for it as well, which is a trifle odd considering that it probably didn't get a lot of use in that role, right?

Rather a blanket statement, I suspect on your part. In the first half of the war, right up till 1944, where enemy air activity was present, you'd have been likely to see a Bren in use on a tripod as an AA gun. While its value might have been neglible, it was the only weapon available within the battalion and it was good for morale. In the Western Desert and the Mediterrean, in Italy they were in use, in the AA role. In the SW Pacific and perhaps SEAC to a lesser extent, you'd have seen them until war's end.
Oh, I have no problem with that. I've seem enough pictures of them being used in the AA role to be assured that it was done. Rather, I was commenting on the number of different AA mounts that seem to have been developed for a weapon that was quite a bit less than ideal for this purpose. And we are not talking about mounts that would have been issued for company and squad level usage either, that would have made a certain amount of sense as that's where most of the guns already were. These were pretty clearly intended for rear area AA protection where one would expect to find something more robust being employed. My thought is that the developmental time and energy put into all these mounts of dubious utility might have been channeled into something more useful.

Michael

[ August 03, 2002, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]