Patch update...

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Issue 1, having ridden in a fair share of armored vehicles across country I can say that *resting* aint one of things you would be doing.

Perhaps in a vehicle with dedicated passenger area it could be done but the code doesnt make that sort of distinction.

I've done a bit of riding around too - mostly as a grunt after having walked around. It might not be teh equivalent of a massage and 8 hrs in a feather bed, but I do distinctly recall that feeling of energy flooding back into my limbs as they get to be still for a while!

Of course the skill of hte driver and teh speed with which he traverses thoe little bumps in the ground matters too, but on the whoel vehicles do not travel at full speed off-road.

[ November 10, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the latest list of new stuff Charles has added over the last week or so. I still have no firm date on the patch but its closer to being done today then it was yesterday. ;)

UNIT DATA CHANGES/FIXES/ADDITIONS:

* Finns have some radio-equipped forward observers.

* Slight corrections to armor ratings of captured Panther A, Panzer IIIJ, and T-34 M42.

MODIFICATIONS:

* Finnish 75mm AT gun is first available July 1943.

* Troops imported into a quick battle have their ammunition replenished.

* HQ units, when hiding, are slightly less likely to open fire on enemy units (i.e. "start" an ambush).

* ATRs have some minimal capability against infantry.

* Smoke from burning vehicles blocks LOS a bit more.

* German Sd Kfz 7 Gun Tractor will not be misidentified as a fully-armored halftrack, or vice-versa.

MODELS:

* Lowered crewman in PSW 222.

BUG FIXES:

* If a TCP/IP game is saved during setup phase and reloaded as a PBEM, setup will not be skipped for the second player.

* Romanian BA-10 shows the correct 'icon' side view.

Madmatt

Man, I'm impressed how the problems talked about on this forum, just a short while ago, are taken into consideration (as the "half-track seen as gun tractor" bug). Very reactive feed-back ! :D

And we're Sunday ! Matt and Charles, do you never stop working ?... Or are you since too long completely addicted (or aCMilitated) to avoid WE work ?... ;)

[ November 10, 2002, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Sigurd ]

Thanks MaddMatt for the info. Here's a few ideas for a future re-write.

When a crew bails from a vehicle like a tank, perhaps you can do a random draw on the equipment it will have. Like perhaps there is a small chance one of them might have an smg with them

Or if they bail out simply because they went to bogged to immobile in the ground, they'll have a higher chance of being equipped.

It might be cool to make the German HMG able to have a status change...like if the crew starts to panic, the machine gun might be abandoned or it might become an LMG.

(I'd also love to see an airplane crash into a tank ha ha).

Conan

P.S. Please tell Steve Grammont I said hello, and that Matt Mello and I enjoy the game (Matt has been trying to get me into a PBEM but I can't since my mail is through a UNIX account separate from my home computer).

Originally posted by PeterX:

Oh, and one other thing. Every time the game generates a QB map and the temperature is above 'Frozen' the ground conditions are inevitably 'Damp'?

I believe that was already listed in an earlier update list. Regardless it too is fixed.

Madmatt

[ November 10, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

These guys at Battlefront are on the money with this game as they were with CMBO. I bought CMBO the first day it was available and the same with CMBB.I just wish that other companies making wargames could learn a little something from these guys.Keep up the good work and don't let anyone or anything divert you from this winning formula. Again thanks.

Thanks guys! Looks like a great patch. smile.gif

One question, though. Has the issue about units with covered arcs that automatically will unhide if there are dead units or units outside of LOS inside the arc been fixed? This is, IMHO, a serious problem because defenders otherwise so easily run out of ammo.

Any news about the FOW problem with bailing out tanks? As I already posted in a previous thread, an enemy tank (or bunker/pillbox) that is bailing out, but not yet confirmed as dead, does not count towards apparent flag control. So if there is a flag that is apparently only controlled by an enemy tank, it will turn neutral when the tank is killed, even if the tank is only bailing out yet. Thus the flag gives away the death of the tank sooner than it should.

Dschugaschwili

Matt, I've only travelled off road in an APC once, yea I got thrown around but I could still catch my breath. We'll have to agree to disagree. smile.gif What about stationary HTs? How about letting troops "rest" in vehicles that aren't moving, or are travelling on roads.

[ November 11, 2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Londoner ]

DOH! I just noticed that my post above got cut off prematurely, there was a few more issues addressed that werent listed.

The following issues were also fixed in v1.01. Sorry about that!

* Hiding units with covered arcs won't be triggered to stop hiding by a dead unit inside the covered arc.

* Troops carrying molotovs or magnetic mines are not prohibited from using grenades against pillbox rear doors.

* Ordnance and good-order units are less likely to be 'bumped' out of an area that becomes overcrowded.

* Soviet pistols don't look like German pistols in the gun rack interface after loading a saved game.

* Corrected a problem that caused pillboxes sometimes to cancel their covered arcs.

* (French version) Exit-zone graphics are in French text.

* (French version) The +/- editor buttons for setting the number of flags

in a battle appear normally.

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

Any news about the FOW problem with bailing out tanks? As I already posted in a previous thread, an enemy tank (or bunker/pillbox) that is bailing out, but not yet confirmed as dead, does not count towards apparent flag control. So if there is a flag that is apparently only controlled by an enemy tank, it will turn neutral when the tank is killed, even if the tank is only bailing out yet. Thus the flag gives away the death of the tank sooner than it should.

Dschugaschwili

Hmm, well that one is probably not worth the time to code a fix for. How often does that happen and even if it did occur how often does it span over the course of more than one turn so that the player could exploit that knowledge?

Madmatt

* The suppression thresholds for panicking, breaking and routing are a bit higher.

* Fatigue rate for sneak movement is moderately reduced.

What!!? Hold on!!! Does this mean we can't complain about it anymore? What are we gonna whine about now??? I didn't expect you guys to actually do anything about it... :(;)

But seriously. This "patch" is amazing! And that's an understatement...I'll say one thing: you guys sure know how to build a loyal customer base.

Best wishes! tank.gif

[ November 11, 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: energy76 ]

Hmm, well that one is probably not worth the time to code a fix for. How often does that happen and even if it did occur how often does it span over the course of more than one turn so that the player could exploit that knowledge?

Well, it's difficult to tell, but it sometimes seems to me that the flag in fact spoils information about the enemy, not merely the case above.

Could I ask you to verify how the flag "works"? EG, in one scenario, I drove several thousand tons of panzer power up to a ridge; there was a flag on the ridge; there was noone else in sight; the flag was "?".

The only conclusion I could draw was that there was hidden enemy just on the other side. There was.

As I say, I'm hoping, but it's hard to tell, that the flag shows me only what *my* knowledge tells me about the victory condition around that flag. It should be possible for *both* players to "think" that the flag belongs to them, while at most one of them is right. smile.gif They can each see more of their own forces around it, suppose.

If that's not how it works, maybe it should...?

Eden

Eden, flag ownership is dependant on your own sides knowledge. For example, both sides might have a flag showing ownership, or vice versa. I don't know how to explain your example. but rest assured that you cannot depend on the flag to know if you control it.

Edit-

You can test this fact by playing hotseat against yourself and set up a few different scenarios.

[ November 11, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Leader ]

Bridge exit

Not a big thing so i don't know if it is worth the time to fix but I first noticed this goofing around in the Danube Blues scenario.

I then set up a map to check it out a little further. Bridges on the north and east sides of a map can not be exited from. One thing I noticed when I was checking this out was that the bridges on the west and south sides extended past the edge of the map but the ones on the north and east side stopped at the edge. It doesn't matter what kind of bridge it is also.

Not that big of a deal but it could cause a problem for a scenario with a exit zone on the east or north end of a map over a bridge.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

Dschugaschwili

Madmatt</font>