Funniest CM moments

Hmmm... All from CMBO, but several are amusing.

Playing Drive on Mortain one time as the allies tcp/ip with Jakk (haven't seen him around in a long time), somehow my lead Jumbo got taken out on the road and the second Jumbo was pushing it along down the road in front of it for at least a couple turns. Jakk said "You jackass, you've got at least 1,500 mm plate on the front of that tank".

One was a tcp/ip game late one weekend night with redwolf where he requested a game with the "gamiest of forces", so we bought a bunch of flak trucks, puppchen, volksgrenedier SMG squads, wasps, and had at it. Flaktrucks taking out M10s, Flaktrucks dancing around all over the map to avoid mortar fire, puppchen firing on infantry, scads of wasps running around torching houses on a village map. Nothing funny in particular occurred, just the absurdity of the matchups was pretty funny.

Finally, I was hanging on the CMHQ chat one afternoon and some guy cooked up a quick scenario called "flame wars" and we utilized nothing but about 7 FT each on a small map covered with dry pine forest with a church in the middle. I think we followed that up with a MG Jeeps v. FTs in heavy woods scenario (MG Jeeps won).

[ November 20, 2002, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Agua ]

CMBO:

I had a Tiger hiding on the right flank, hidden by a small incline. As my opponent made his armor advance on his left, I advanced the Tiger up into view.

The odds were in his favor as he fast moved his armor at the Tiger the next turn, and while the Tiger did manage to smoke a two of his tanks, two more were left with the inevitable "I go right, you go left, and the Tiger's slow turret makes him pay the price."

Well, next turn I targeted the Tiger at the rightmost tank, and the turret slewed right, missed once, then popped the advancing Sherman V. As the turret ponderously slewed left, the other Sherman V raced to get on the Tiger's left side, staying well ahead of the turret traverse.

As the Shermans turret swiveled for the killing side shot from about 20m away, a Panzerschrek team, who I had sent at a dead run for the whole turn to cover the left side of the Tiger pulled up at the corner of the house that had covered their advance and toasted the Sherman from about 15m.

A nail-biter of a mini-battle. My opponent never saw the 'schrek team coming, and it got the Sherman just as the Sherman turret stopped turning. He was thinking sure kill, I was thinking "Run buggers run."

Damn that was a fun turn...

Crewman's brawl

I once had an IP fight with my brother (a particularly nasty tactican). It was an ME and we fought to exhaustion for the one VP. Finally no AFVs were functional and all the infantry was dead or routed....time was running out. Independently we both gathered up a force of 8-9 crew sections and rushed for the VP, they all got there about the same time and the fist fight that ensued was a marvel to see and hear! Worse yet he got a tactical victory

damn

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

Jev.Dk,

was that in CMBB? I didn't think that vehicles could run anything over in CMBO, even though I swear one my Sherman V backed over a Company HQ, killing it's last 3 men.

It was CMBO. Perhaps they were run over because they paniced and didnt move out of the way automaticly.

Jev

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tigrii:

Mine is seeing temporarily burning water when an Apulomet attacked an assualt boat.

What's fun with that ? :confused: A Molotov throwed in water will keep burning on the surface during a short period time... Try yourself at home in your bathtube.</font>

1800 second command delay on a routed Vicker's team.

Then there was the QB where I played the Amis and the computer gave me nothing but halftracks, 60mm mortars and 'zooks. I poked around the map as best I could (it was night and snowing, too).

The length of the game passed, not a shot was fired and when it was over, there were the krauts sitting happily on the VL. Nothing I could have done about it even if I had seen them.

Okay, not funny ha-ha but definitely funny-weird, you know?

Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

CMBO:

I had a Tiger hiding on the right flank, hidden by a small incline. As my opponent made his armor advance on his left, I advanced the Tiger up into view.

The odds were in his favor as he fast moved his armor at the Tiger the next turn, and while the Tiger did manage to smoke a two of his tanks, two more were left with the inevitable "I go right, you go left, and the Tiger's slow turret makes him pay the price."

Well, next turn I targeted the Tiger at the rightmost tank, and the turret slewed right, missed once, then popped the advancing Sherman V. As the turret ponderously slewed left, the other Sherman V raced to get on the Tiger's left side, staying well ahead of the turret traverse.

As the Shermans turret swiveled for the killing side shot from about 20m away, a Panzerschrek team, who I had sent at a dead run for the whole turn to cover the left side of the Tiger pulled up at the corner of the house that had covered their advance and toasted the Sherman from about 15m.

A nail-biter of a mini-battle. My opponent never saw the 'schrek team coming, and it got the Sherman just as the Sherman turret stopped turning. He was thinking sure kill, I was thinking "Run buggers run."

Damn that was a fun turn...

Those are the kinds of turns that make this game what it is. That tacAI puts on a good show!

Originally posted by Hans:

Crewman's brawl

I once had an IP fight with my brother (a particularly nasty tactican). It was an ME and we fought to exhaustion for the one VP. Finally no AFVs were functional and all the infantry was dead or routed....time was running out. Independently we both gathered up a force of 8-9 crew sections and rushed for the VP, they all got there about the same time and the fist fight that ensued was a marvel to see and hear! Worse yet he got a tactical victory

damn

:cool: Now that is some serious fighting there!! I would love to see the action movie for that and the audio. I can just imagine at the end the sound of grunts and "Take that you gamey bastard!"

:D

Once when I was learning to play CMBO, I set up a scenario to experiment with artillery. I defended a town on a medium map as the allies, with just three observers of the heaviest calibers I could afford, including 8-inch naval guns. The computer attacked with mostly infantry.

The comp moved its units from tree clump to tree clump. When the artillery fell it wiped out pretty much the entire attacking battalion :eek: It was amazing to look at the map afterward and see unit after unit of eliminated squads and teams. Frightening really. I have never gotten to choose 8-inch guns in a real battle, but they were something to behold in action.

I was playing a CMBO scenario in deep snow with another member of the forum. All I had left was a Stuart. My opponent then proceeds, to my amazement, to turn his Panther around and reverse along the road heading my way.

One shot was all it took to take that Panther from the rear with my Stuart.

Afterwards the opponent explained that there was a bug (afterwards corrected), that made vehicles never bog if reversing. He though it was a wise maneuver then not to risk a snowy road and present his behind to my puny tank :D

An Ambient Sound Byte

IIRC its a QB vs AI. I'm playing the Germans vs the French. I am aproaching this quaint French village at dusk. In the distance I can hear faint sounds of music apparently coming from the town ! It's a French song, "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" being played on a concertina. I start to think: The French soldiers are all in a tavern and my guys are sneaking up on them, is this a great game or what! The tune plays again as I stealthily move forward.

Suddenly the music changes to "Strangers In the Night" and I disappointedly realize its my daughter's new cell phone.

Sacre' Bleu ............. Toad

Hehe, see my sig smile.gif

this is from CMBO, my brother is assulting me and I went with a lot of wire. He is trying to cross about 20m of openground thrugh wire and smoke. I think I have had it, until his spotting round for the 155 VT lands right on top of his whole platoon in the wire. Dead to the last man, and entire platoon smile.gif He was not amused...

Kevin;

Originally posted by Mike:

Think about it for a second - how is a molotov going to ignite if it lands in water??!! ;)

It is already ignited by the thrower. You've never been to a decent demostration in Germany, haven't you? smile.gif

The trick in this situation is that the bottle must break on impact on the water and free the liquid before the buring fabric on the outside of the bottle is put out by the water.

Now lets try to compute an exact probablity and then fix-or-do-somefink BFC.

[ November 23, 2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Once upon a time, I had to deal with a bunker in Stalingrad street. I brought up a squard, platoon HQ and flamethrower to a building adjacent to the bunker. Since the building is out of the firing arc of bunker, I was sure that I could take out the bunker in a turn ot two. tongue.gif Then... another helper came... that's a friendly plane. The pilot really want to help me to knock out the bunker, and he dropped a bomb on it. The bomb... missed its target and fell onto the building!! It killed everything except the bunker! :mad:

It would be kinda funny if you hit a

flamethrower unit and it kinda exploded or

randomly triggered a flame burst in some

direction.

My moment was in the old CMBO having a schrek

team (outta ammo) and a 'zook team (outta ammo)

sharing a cup of tea.