Airpower

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erwin:

I know someone has figured all this out years ago... What is % probability of air arriving for axis and/or allies? How is combat resolved once it arrives.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't tell you what the % is, but it's pretty obvious if one arrives. Either 4 rockets streak into your lone Tiger or two massive explosions announce the death of an infantry platoon. Any flak guns on your side will swivel to engage the plane once it arrives. Once their main ordnance is expended they usually make 2 strafing runs, unless they experience heavy fire, in which case they will break off. Veteran pilots are less likely to make suicide runs into heavy flak, as it does down planes every now and then.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

I know someone has figured all this out years ago... What is % probability of air arriving for axis and/or allies? How is combat resolved once it arrives.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't tell you what the % is, but it's pretty obvious if one arrives. Either 4 rockets streak into your lone Tiger or two massive explosions announce the death of an infantry platoon. Any flak guns on your side will swivel to engage the plane once it arrives. Once their main ordnance is expended they usually make 2 strafing runs, unless they experience heavy fire, in which case they will break off. Veteran pilots are less likely to make suicide runs into heavy flak, as it does down planes every now and then.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

I doubt you will ever see airstrikes in a QB against the computer, I have yet to see any. If you buy an airstrike for yourself you have no control over when it will arrive, but you will know it's close when the plane makes a flyover to assess the battle and look for a target. You will see the plane's shadow on the ground and hear the engine. You have no control over what his target is. Usually it's a tank or some other juicy target but sometimes it's your own men. After the main attack they usually have a mg strafe or two to kill some infantry.

I doubt you will ever see airstrikes in a QB against the computer, I have yet to see any. If you buy an airstrike for yourself you have no control over when it will arrive, but you will know it's close when the plane makes a flyover to assess the battle and look for a target. You will see the plane's shadow on the ground and hear the engine. You have no control over what his target is. Usually it's a tank or some other juicy target but sometimes it's your own men. After the main attack they usually have a mg strafe or two to kill some infantry.

Um I beg to disagree. I have played about 8 QBs agains the CPU in the last 2 months. 4 of the times they had Fighter\Bomber, one of the games they stuck around for over 17 turns killing almost everything I had before I had to go somewhere I only wonder how many more turns they would have stuck around.

Today I lost 2 Panthers, 2 Tigers, an 88 and then said enough is enough. They showed up within 2 turns of my Heavy armor moving out of the scattered trees.

Gen

Um I beg to disagree. I have played about 8 QBs agains the CPU in the last 2 months. 4 of the times they had Fighter\Bomber, one of the games they stuck around for over 17 turns killing almost everything I had before I had to go somewhere I only wonder how many more turns they would have stuck around.

Today I lost 2 Panthers, 2 Tigers, an 88 and then said enough is enough. They showed up within 2 turns of my Heavy armor moving out of the scattered trees.

Gen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen-x87:

Gen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tongue.gif Sounds like a whole group of Jabos jumped your boys... ouch

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen-x87:

Gen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tongue.gif Sounds like a whole group of Jabos jumped your boys... ouch

I had a plane loiter and make two passes. I have a slightly different question however. Is there any way of directing air attacks. I had one game where airpower obliterated the house that was going to cause me trouble, i.e. I could not have chosen the target better myself,and in the other game, the one in which two passes were made the strikes took place well away from the action and served as far as I could see little purpose.

I had a plane loiter and make two passes. I have a slightly different question however. Is there any way of directing air attacks. I had one game where airpower obliterated the house that was going to cause me trouble, i.e. I could not have chosen the target better myself,and in the other game, the one in which two passes were made the strikes took place well away from the action and served as far as I could see little purpose.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pt:

I had one game where airpower obliterated the house that was going to cause me trouble, i.e. I could not have chosen the target better myself,and in the other game, the one in which two passes were made the strikes took place well away from the action and served as far as I could see little purpose.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if the plane is going to miss the enemy, then I'd rather have it miss far away from the battle, rather than miss on the heads of your own troops.

From the reading I've done, this was a fairly common ocurrence during WWII battles. Close air support, especially in the early days after D-Day were fairly uncoordinated. Operation COBRA (I think that was the on) had planes drop bombs short, and landing on friendly troops, then strafing the same troops. :eek:

I'd be glad for that much at least :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pt:

I had one game where airpower obliterated the house that was going to cause me trouble, i.e. I could not have chosen the target better myself,and in the other game, the one in which two passes were made the strikes took place well away from the action and served as far as I could see little purpose.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if the plane is going to miss the enemy, then I'd rather have it miss far away from the battle, rather than miss on the heads of your own troops.

From the reading I've done, this was a fairly common ocurrence during WWII battles. Close air support, especially in the early days after D-Day were fairly uncoordinated. Operation COBRA (I think that was the on) had planes drop bombs short, and landing on friendly troops, then strafing the same troops. :eek:

I'd be glad for that much at least :D

Air Support was an uncoordinated affair for most of the fighting forces in WWII, the USMC being a notable exception, as they actually employed pilots on the ground with the infantry as ground to air liason and directed the aircraft to targets, a principle that was still unique to the USMC even as late as the Korean War where the US Army had USMC Air Liason Officers attached to their regiments.

Don't know if the German Army employed a similar system, but if the Luftwaffe/Wehrmacht relationship is any indication I'd think not.

Gyrene

Air Support was an uncoordinated affair for most of the fighting forces in WWII, the USMC being a notable exception, as they actually employed pilots on the ground with the infantry as ground to air liason and directed the aircraft to targets, a principle that was still unique to the USMC even as late as the Korean War where the US Army had USMC Air Liason Officers attached to their regiments.

Don't know if the German Army employed a similar system, but if the Luftwaffe/Wehrmacht relationship is any indication I'd think not.

Gyrene

Ahem... Replies have been v. interesting, but re original question - Does anyone actually know what % probability there is that the plane(s) turn up, and is it a different probability for Axis and Allies????

Ahem... Replies have been v. interesting, but re original question - Does anyone actually know what % probability there is that the plane(s) turn up, and is it a different probability for Axis and Allies????

If it is anything similar to the probability of reinforcements showing up, then it is not a fixed %. They probability will change based on how the battle is progressing for their side, and will change based on the assessment of AA capability, etc.

I hope someone in the know can increase the specifics here.

If it is anything similar to the probability of reinforcements showing up, then it is not a fixed %. They probability will change based on how the battle is progressing for their side, and will change based on the assessment of AA capability, etc.

I hope someone in the know can increase the specifics here.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen-X87:

????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I stand corrected. I play mostly small QB under 1500 points and never see the computer pick airstrikes. I can understand that they'd be more common in larger battles.

Ahem... Replies have been v. interesting, but re original question - Does anyone actually know what % probability there is that the plane(s) turn up, and is it a different probability for Axis and Allies????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer is nobody knows. I doubt if BTS even knows the exact percentages. You can bet, however, that certain conditions do make it more possible to see airstrikes. It seems like larger QB point values do affect the decision making of the computer. Weather will probably also be factored in as well as Axis or Allied sides. Also, the month of the battle might play a part of the decision making process.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen-X87:

????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I stand corrected. I play mostly small QB under 1500 points and never see the computer pick airstrikes. I can understand that they'd be more common in larger battles.

Ahem... Replies have been v. interesting, but re original question - Does anyone actually know what % probability there is that the plane(s) turn up, and is it a different probability for Axis and Allies????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer is nobody knows. I doubt if BTS even knows the exact percentages. You can bet, however, that certain conditions do make it more possible to see airstrikes. It seems like larger QB point values do affect the decision making of the computer. Weather will probably also be factored in as well as Axis or Allied sides. Also, the month of the battle might play a part of the decision making process.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gyrene - Rommel routinely speaks of his Luftwaffe liason officer (pilot?) in the Ardennes offensive in France - source: The Rommel Papers by Hart

Also in the book "Stalingrad: The Fateful Seige: 1942-1943" by Beevor he mentions several times that Luftwaffe officers were attached to units around the city.

-John Caravella