Airpower

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Don't know if the German Army employed a similar system, but if the Luftwaffe/Wehrmacht relationship is any indication I'd think not.

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gyrene - Rommel routinely speaks of his Luftwaffe liason officer (pilot?) in the Ardennes offensive in France - source: The Rommel Papers by Hart

Also in the book "Stalingrad: The Fateful Seige: 1942-1943" by Beevor he mentions several times that Luftwaffe officers were attached to units around the city.

-John Caravella

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Gyrene - Rommel routinely speaks of his Luftwaffe liason officer (pilot?) in the Ardennes offensive in France - source: The Rommel Papers by Hart<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maxx, the USMC Air Liason system I mentioned involved a Tactical Air Control Party (What later became ANGLICO teams (Air/Naval Gunfire Liason Company)) of 1 officer and 3 enlisted, who were moved to where the action was at and directly guided aircraft on target.

Rommel's Luftwaffe officer probably coordinated scheduled bombing runs and supply drops and acted as a go-between for the two branches of service. He was probably too high ranked an officer (Indicated by his direct contact with Rommel) to be watching the bombs impacting at a company level.

On the thread topic, the examples I gave were just to illustrate that Infantry commanders had little or no contact with the aircraft giving them support (Radios being different and other reasons), so that is why you can't control airstrikes in CM other than hoping they'll show.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Gyrene - Rommel routinely speaks of his Luftwaffe liason officer (pilot?) in the Ardennes offensive in France - source: The Rommel Papers by Hart<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maxx, the USMC Air Liason system I mentioned involved a Tactical Air Control Party (What later became ANGLICO teams (Air/Naval Gunfire Liason Company)) of 1 officer and 3 enlisted, who were moved to where the action was at and directly guided aircraft on target.

Rommel's Luftwaffe officer probably coordinated scheduled bombing runs and supply drops and acted as a go-between for the two branches of service. He was probably too high ranked an officer (Indicated by his direct contact with Rommel) to be watching the bombs impacting at a company level.

On the thread topic, the examples I gave were just to illustrate that Infantry commanders had little or no contact with the aircraft giving them support (Radios being different and other reasons), so that is why you can't control airstrikes in CM other than hoping they'll show.

Gyrene