Please bring back the shockwaves......!

Guest Sgt. Emren

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Personally I prefer it without. It was requested that we take them out due to lack of realism and they were making it hard in CMBO to take descent screen shots as the bubble looked ugly.

Requested by whom? How screen shots turned out was an important factor in designing the game's graphics?

It sounds like there's more to this story!

Nope, no more to the story. Its been it asked for on the CMBO forum more than once, and we tested the new textures without and they looked better.

Basically we cant make everyone happy I guess. If we put them back in the people who didnt like them will want them out, then another will ask for a toggle, etc. smile.gif

Dan

[ September 03, 2002, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Actually, a puff of dust is all you really see. As someone who has been very close to a HE blast I can testify to this. So, I vote for a dust cloud immediately following the explosion and no shockwave (even then you wouldn't have a dust cloud unless it was dry outside.)

[ September 03, 2002, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

Vader, I have seen such shots, but only from Vietman material and beyond. I have dozens of WW2 documentaries Ive bought over the past couple of years and have never seen such a shockwave. I'm guessing the explosive filler in more modern ordnance has a faster reaction, and thus produced the pronounced shockwave.

Personally I prefer it without. It was requested that we take them out due to lack of realism and they were making it hard in CMBO to take descent screen shots as the bubble looked ugly.

Guys, as a suggestion give it a little time to get used to CMBB before trying to turn it back into CMBO. smile.gif I initially had a lot of the same thoughts you guys are having as the new features were added, but once I got used to many of the new features I couldnt go back.

Dan

You are correct, modern explosives are faster than TNT and would produce a stronger shockwave. Most people don't realize that the effectiveness of even simple weapons, like bombs, has greatly improved since WW II. Not only have the explosives become more powerful, but the casings are designed to burst with a much more uniform and deadly fragmentation pattern. This includes standard artillery shells too. Mind you, not all countries have taken the pains Western powers have with these low tech weapons.

Actually guys there is more dust in the larger blasts in CMBB. I guess you dont get to see this in the demo as much(maybe slightly?). Larger explosions will start of with blast and black smoke and then fade to dust.

Check out the recent bone thread and you find a picuture of a Sturmtiger leveling a town that will probably give you an idea. smile.gif

Dan

I agree that the shockwave had a "woo-hoo" factor.

However, it was a highly unrealistic woo-hoo factor, as it just wouldn't look like that in real life.

CMBB looks so much more real than CMBO that I would really not like a return to the shockwave effect.

Thus I vote to keep it as is, for whatever my vote's worth! ;)

StellarRat, thanks for the technical description smile.gif

I have a freind of mine whom is a pyrotechnican. After many beers one night he gave me an in depth deascription of the differences between different explosives, their ignition speed, etc, so I guessed it might have been something like that. smile.gif

He also gave me a detailed description of shapped demolition charges, cutting a beam with C4, etc. It was interesting indeed, hehe.

Dan

[ September 03, 2002, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by Cribtop Gamer:

I agree that the shockwave had a "woo-hoo" factor.

However, it was a highly unrealistic woo-hoo factor, as it just wouldn't look like that in real life.

CMBB looks so much more real than CMBO that I would really not like a return to the shockwave effect.

Cribtop Gamer put it there almost the way I think, too. The TNT filled houses (ref. to an older thread in CMBO forum about country houses that have their walls regulary filled with TNT :D ) blowing up looks neat but totally not realistic. So welcome new level of realism. For those who want to see TNT filled houses again, go and buy Red Alert ;)

Okay, okay, in the world of compromises, I don't actually mind if there's a toggle SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-DEL-T to set the "TNT filled houses option aka. shockwave" on tongue.gif

/kuma

StellarRat, thanks for the technical description smile.gif

I have a freind of mine whom is a pyrotechnican. After many beers one night he gave me an in depth deascription of the differences between different explosives, their ignition speed, etc, so I guessed it might have been something like that. smile.gif

He also gave me a detailed description of shapped demolition charges, cutting a beam with C4, etc. It was interesting indeed, hehe.

Dan

Yeah, it's an interesting field. Most people don't know that one explosive is different than another. There are even different types of dynamite. Some for uprooting trees, others for shattering rocks. For military explosives they almost always go for the highest velocity though.

Its not the expanding shockwave from a house i miss but the small shockwave from HE shells, they have gone too. Cant tell me these are unrealistic? OK cant see them in real life but in a game this is a good way to represent them. Without them HE shells appear to do very little damage.

Vader, I have seen such shots, but only from vietman material and beyond. I have dozens of WW2 documentaries Ive bought over the past couple of years and have never seen such a shockwave. Im guessing the explosive filler in more modern ordanance has a faster reaction, and thus produced the pronounced shockwave.

Guys, as a suggestion give it a little time to get used to CMBB before trying to turn it back into CMBO. smile.gif I initially had a lot of the same thoughts you guys are having as the new features were added, but once I got used to many of the new features I couldnt go back.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Just to throw a slightly scientific slant on all of this, I'm sure I read somewhere that the level of visibility of any shockwave is proportional to the size of the explosion and the % humidity and density of the surrounding air.

This is probably the reason why big HE explosions in humid, heavy air (ie Vietnam and like places) can produce very pronounced visible shockwaves.

The effect is similar to a high speed jet when it flies through a patch of dense moist air - leading edge shockwaves may become visible and quite pronounced as well as producing wingtip contrails.

I don't think shockwaves would be very prominent in hot, dry air conditions (eg desert conditions during the heat of the day) though cool, moist mornings/evenings would likely promote the formation of same. I bet there are some highly paid physicists around here who could clarify this :D .

Maybe the suggested option to toggle on/off for big HE only (I also say "NUP" for the buildings) and heavy tank or arty gun muzzle firings might be the way to satisfy all the troops!!

Just a thought.

Aussiejeff

[ September 03, 2002, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: AussieJeff ]

Originally posted by AussieJeff:

[snips]

Just to throw a slightly scientific slant on all of this, I'm sure I read somewhere that the level of visibility of any shockwave is proportional to the size of the explosion and the % humidity and density of the surrounding air.

This is probably the reason why big HE explosions in humid, heavy air (ie Vietnam and like places) can produce very pronounced visible shockwaves.

Quite right. The first time I saw the exagerrated shock-front effect in CM:BO I was reminded of a clip of bombs being dropped over the Mekong Delta. This suggested a more tropical climate than I am accustomed to in Calvados.

I think the CM:BB style is much more satisfactory. Let's save the shockwave effects for the version of CM that happens in hot and sticky places (CM:BBBB -- "Combat Mission: Bataan, Buna, Betio and Burma").

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Wallybob:

Me, too. The CMBO shockwaves are cool. And somehow satisfying when you see a building full of baddies take a hit.

I also don`t miss building shockwave but the other ones must be back in full version or an upgrade! or I WON`t BUY this game ;) !!