Strange...........

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One should perhaps not draw too many conclusions from the photo provided, but to me, that bridge does not look too healthy. My first guess was that it had been blown and was sagging in the middle. But as I say, the proof provided is inconclusive. I'd tend very much to agree though that there must not be any enemy around nearby, or the troops would be using a much more stealthy approach.

Michael

One should perhaps not draw too many conclusions from the photo provided, but to me, that bridge does not look too healthy. My first guess was that it had been blown and was sagging in the middle. But as I say, the proof provided is inconclusive. I'd tend very much to agree though that there must not be any enemy around nearby, or the troops would be using a much more stealthy approach.

Michael

Note the bicycles strewn about. At what point did Germany try bicycle-mounted troops? And those big jackboots suggest prewar or early war. I suspect there's a small stream off to the right - as part of their pre-war training these guys are going wading (If it was wartime they'd either go in fully dressed or stark nekkid, depending on the circumstances).

Note the bicycles strewn about. At what point did Germany try bicycle-mounted troops? And those big jackboots suggest prewar or early war. I suspect there's a small stream off to the right - as part of their pre-war training these guys are going wading (If it was wartime they'd either go in fully dressed or stark nekkid, depending on the circumstances).

Originally posted by MikeyD:

From 1939 on - in 1944 they were still using them in Normandy; I believe Brian Reid mentions at least one bicycle mounted battalion in June 1944.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

From 1939 on - in 1944 they were still using them in Normandy; I believe Brian Reid mentions at least one bicycle mounted battalion in June 1944.

ebay used to be full of German Army photos - lots of prewar training shots seem to be in existence; this photo does seem like one. The uniforms seem very early war or prewar - the Marching Boots are the best indication, but also the wearing of equipment is very "by the book".

It is odd that no one is wearing the white denim drill uniform, however; these seem to have been utilized a lot more prewar; I'd almost venture a guess that this is 1939 or 1940 based on that, but there is no way to no for sure. The absence of helmet decals provides another clue that it is after the start of the war - but not proof positive.

Ditto the field grey collar on one of the feldblusen - but, the dark green collar only existed from IIRC 1935 or so until 1940 when it was deleted - so it could possibly be a prewar shot of a soldier wearing the pre-1935 field blouse - not likely but possible. I would guess the photo is in Germany or France in the summer of 1940 at the earliest, at latest 1942 or so.

ebay used to be full of German Army photos - lots of prewar training shots seem to be in existence; this photo does seem like one. The uniforms seem very early war or prewar - the Marching Boots are the best indication, but also the wearing of equipment is very "by the book".

It is odd that no one is wearing the white denim drill uniform, however; these seem to have been utilized a lot more prewar; I'd almost venture a guess that this is 1939 or 1940 based on that, but there is no way to no for sure. The absence of helmet decals provides another clue that it is after the start of the war - but not proof positive.

Ditto the field grey collar on one of the feldblusen - but, the dark green collar only existed from IIRC 1935 or so until 1940 when it was deleted - so it could possibly be a prewar shot of a soldier wearing the pre-1935 field blouse - not likely but possible. I would guess the photo is in Germany or France in the summer of 1940 at the earliest, at latest 1942 or so.

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

Then try and take those marching boots, wet them thoroughly and march a few dozen miles with them being wet. And the pants, too. ;)

Maybe it was rather cold and the soldiers needed dry feet after fording... I just don´t know, but I think I´ll remember having read about similar incidents.

Many years ago, as a CCF Navy cadet, I forded a burn in Wester Ross (nr. Loch Ewe) with my No.8 trousers round my neck, and footwear held in one hand, the other being used to hold the guide-rope.

It was what was laughingly called "early spring", and our concerns about the freezing cold water were met with the cheerful assurance "Don't worry, you'll blow dry".

Our progress across the burn was watched with detached interest by a herd of nearby cows, prompting the remark from one of my fellow cadets "Ah! What it is to be Human!".

So I think that the river-fording explanation is the most likely one.

Alternatively, for those familiar with the relevant Papa Schimmelhorn story, I suppose it is just possible that the Gnurrs have come from the voodvork out.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Earl Grey:

Then try and take those marching boots, wet them thoroughly and march a few dozen miles with them being wet. And the pants, too. ;)

Maybe it was rather cold and the soldiers needed dry feet after fording... I just don´t know, but I think I´ll remember having read about similar incidents.

Many years ago, as a CCF Navy cadet, I forded a burn in Wester Ross (nr. Loch Ewe) with my No.8 trousers round my neck, and footwear held in one hand, the other being used to hold the guide-rope.

It was what was laughingly called "early spring", and our concerns about the freezing cold water were met with the cheerful assurance "Don't worry, you'll blow dry".

Our progress across the burn was watched with detached interest by a herd of nearby cows, prompting the remark from one of my fellow cadets "Ah! What it is to be Human!".

So I think that the river-fording explanation is the most likely one.

Alternatively, for those familiar with the relevant Papa Schimmelhorn story, I suppose it is just possible that the Gnurrs have come from the voodvork out.

All the best,

John.