Strange...........

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

To Soddball - bolt action K98s remained the standard infantry weapon until 1945; automatics became more prevalent but in standard "line" infantry units I doubt they outnumbered the bolt actions. There are great photos of the German Army marching into Aurich, Germany after the surrender, fully armed - PFs are much in abundance but so are K98s.

Cheers.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by patboy:

Michael,

The folder where I found this photo was written "Meuse crossing,(in French)13 and 14 Mai 1940", I can't be sure about the caption said ; that's why I posted it at the forum, maybe someone know this pic and could explain it !

I just took another look at the pic and now I believe I was wrong about the larger body of water. More likely that's an area of open fields with a tree covered ridgeline on the far side. So it may well be the Meuse. But I am still extremely sceptical that there are any enemy within shooting range, which tends to draw the dating into question. I think those who believe it is some kind of training exercise have a point.

Michael

Originally posted by patboy:

Michael,

The folder where I found this photo was written "Meuse crossing,(in French)13 and 14 Mai 1940", I can't be sure about the caption said ; that's why I posted it at the forum, maybe someone know this pic and could explain it !

I just took another look at the pic and now I believe I was wrong about the larger body of water. More likely that's an area of open fields with a tree covered ridgeline on the far side. So it may well be the Meuse. But I am still extremely sceptical that there are any enemy within shooting range, which tends to draw the dating into question. I think those who believe it is some kind of training exercise have a point.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The absence of helmet decals provides another clue that it is after the start of the war - but not proof positive.

There's a helmet decal on the far right guy. Does that change your appreciation?

Michael </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The absence of helmet decals provides another clue that it is after the start of the war - but not proof positive.

There's a helmet decal on the far right guy. Does that change your appreciation?

Michael </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by patboy:

Michael,

I just took another look at the pic and now I believe I was wrong about the larger body of water. More likely that's an area of open fields with a tree covered ridgeline on the far side. So it may well be the Meuse.</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by patboy:

Michael,

I just took another look at the pic and now I believe I was wrong about the larger body of water. More likely that's an area of open fields with a tree covered ridgeline on the far side. So it may well be the Meuse.</font>

Re new pics:

Yes that looks more like what I've seen in pics of the Meuse before. But the sIG should be 15.0cm, yes?

As soon as I saw the Pz. 38s, I thought 7th. Pz. Div., since they comprised most of the tanks of that division. That would place the crossing point near Dinant.

The relaxed appearance of the men reinforces the notion that this is not an assault crossing. This must have been long after the opposite bank had been cleared of enemy troops. Rommel's memoir gives an interesting description of this action, BTW.

Michael

Re new pics:

Yes that looks more like what I've seen in pics of the Meuse before. But the sIG should be 15.0cm, yes?

As soon as I saw the Pz. 38s, I thought 7th. Pz. Div., since they comprised most of the tanks of that division. That would place the crossing point near Dinant.

The relaxed appearance of the men reinforces the notion that this is not an assault crossing. This must have been long after the opposite bank had been cleared of enemy troops. Rommel's memoir gives an interesting description of this action, BTW.

Michael