Strange...........

Note the bicycles strewn about. At what point did Germany try bicycle-mounted troops?

German 1st Cav.Div. started may 10th 1940 with infantry units on horses. As soon as they came into Holland, the Dutch people in Groningen en Friesland were the first to lose their bicycles to German soldiers.

Cheers

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note the bicycles strewn about. At what point did Germany try bicycle-mounted troops?

German 1st Cav.Div. started may 10th 1940 with infantry units on horses. As soon as they came into Holland, the Dutch people in Groningen en Friesland were the first to lose their bicycles to German soldiers.

Cheers

The bridge in the background is interesting, definitely been blown. There look like two spans, one broken in half and the other in the river.

The soldiers are also all carrying rifles (I think) which suggests that it is early war - weren't automatic weapons more prevalent as the war went on?

The bridge in the background is interesting, definitely been blown. There look like two spans, one broken in half and the other in the river.

The soldiers are also all carrying rifles (I think) which suggests that it is early war - weren't automatic weapons more prevalent as the war went on?

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Is the poster of the picture certain that it is an authentic photo from the war? My initial reaction was that it was a bunch of drunken re-enactors goofing off at an event.

They're not remotely fat enough, and they are very uniformly dressed.

To Soddball - bolt action K98s remained the standard infantry weapon until 1945; automatics became more prevalent but in standard "line" infantry units I doubt they outnumbered the bolt actions. There are great photos of the German Army marching into Aurich, Germany after the surrender, fully armed - PFs are much in abundance but so are K98s.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Is the poster of the picture certain that it is an authentic photo from the war? My initial reaction was that it was a bunch of drunken re-enactors goofing off at an event.

They're not remotely fat enough, and they are very uniformly dressed.

To Soddball - bolt action K98s remained the standard infantry weapon until 1945; automatics became more prevalent but in standard "line" infantry units I doubt they outnumbered the bolt actions. There are great photos of the German Army marching into Aurich, Germany after the surrender, fully armed - PFs are much in abundance but so are K98s.

Originally posted by patboy:

The river behind Germans soldiers is "La Meuse"

You sure? I notice that after it passes under the bridge, it seems to empty into either a bay or a large lake. I'm inclined to think bay for no particular reason. I can't recall any place the Meuse does that until it reaches the North Sea. Please enlighten me!

smile.gif

Michael

Originally posted by patboy:

The river behind Germans soldiers is "La Meuse"

You sure? I notice that after it passes under the bridge, it seems to empty into either a bay or a large lake. I'm inclined to think bay for no particular reason. I can't recall any place the Meuse does that until it reaches the North Sea. Please enlighten me!

smile.gif

Michael

Michael,

The folder where I found this photo was written "Meuse crossing,(in French)13 and 14 Mai 1940", I can't be sure about the caption said ; that's why I posted it at the forum, maybe someone know this pic and could explain it !

Cheers

Pat

Michael,

The folder where I found this photo was written "Meuse crossing,(in French)13 and 14 Mai 1940", I can't be sure about the caption said ; that's why I posted it at the forum, maybe someone know this pic and could explain it !

Cheers

Pat

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Cheers.