What's the CMAK manual like?

MikeyD

While the rest of us are waiting:

What does the new CMAK manual look like?

The company web page says something about 210 page pdf manual and 32 page quick guide?

I was one of those who lobbied (unsuccessfully) for a PDF manual for CMBB back before that came out. I'm imagining actual color photos sprinkled through the thing ...Mmmmmmm.

Mine (pre-order from here) came with a 30 page Qick Reference Gide - black and white, mostly a getting started tutorial, start-up, install and trouble-shooting guide, with quick-ref key and orders guide printed on the inside (hard, color) and back cover. I guess the lack of a printed manual is the only thing lacking this time out, but I guess it keeps the cost down so that's OK with me.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

And I was wondering if there were any new orders for your troops and such.

I'm pretty sure that BFC has said that there are no new orders in CMAK.

In addition to the new theaters, units, graphics upgrade, dust, etc., I think that other changes are "under the hood" undocumented Tac AI behavior changes which some have reported seeing.

I don't see it as a big deal but I guess that is because I've CMBB and since the orders are the same I can easily handle the .pdf file.

I guess BFC just assumed that many people that buy CMAK are CMBB customers too and already have a manual.

So personally I'm happy that I get the game cheaper and don't have to have the same manual twice sitting on my shelf smile.gif

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

I must say that I am quite dissapointed at the lack of a full printed manual. It was one of many things that set CM apart from other games.

I'm usually in favor of big manuals, but not in this case, for two reasons: (1) this is basically CMBB, and I already know how to play that; and (2) the 32 page quick manual is very useful - it has quick reference pages on the inside glossy covers as well as on the back. The quick reference pages have a brief explanation (i.e., a couple of sentences) of all of the hotkeys, all of the morale states, and all of the orders. I think I'll refer to it more than I would a 200 page rehash of CMBB. Plus, it has a couple of Bill Mauldlin cartoons. smile.gif

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

I must say that I am quite dissapointed at the lack of a full printed manual. It was one of many things that set CM apart from other games.

no manual = $35

Apparently thats the reason for the lower price. Now we know.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

no manual = $35

Apparently thats the reason for the lower price. Now we know. </font>

HI Andrew et al

the 32 page quick manual is very useful - it has quick reference pages on the inside glossy covers as well as on the back. The quick reference pages have a brief explanation (i.e., a couple of sentences) of all of the hotkeys, all of the morale states, and all of the orders.
The Quick Ref data sounds great I just wish I could judge for myself but still no CMAK here despite being on same Island as 'that' damn Irish warehouse :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Moon:

Obviously this is indeed part of the reason. Not bad if you ask me, there are $55 games out there without manuals to speak of smile.gif

Indeed, evidently the full price LOMAC comes with a not very good .pdf, manual and no reference card, but for an extra 30 bucks you can get a more detailed paper one :rolleyes: . I've got used to .pdf manuals in lower price games, it's when they do it with full price games I'm not impressed.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

I'm usually in favor of big manuals, but not in this case, for two reasons: (1) this is basically CMBB, and I already know how to play that; and (2) the 32 page quick manual is very useful - it has quick reference pages on the inside glossy covers as well as on the back. The quick reference pages have a brief explanation (i.e., a couple of sentences) of all of the hotkeys, all of the morale states, and all of the orders. I think I'll refer to it more than I would a 200 page rehash of CMBB. Plus, it has a couple of Bill Mauldlin cartoons. smile.gif </font>

The thing about CM is 'real world' tactics will take you a long way so a thick manual dedicated to game-specific tactics is a bit superfluous.

Of course there's always the grogs who hoped for a manual with all the unit tables and gun penetration stats, hard percentages for cover in various terrains, reprinted extracts of official British army platoon level tactics circa 1942, etc. etc. etc.

An ambitious fan of CM could take a page from CM's playbook and produce their own style PDF format manuals to compliment the supplied manual.

Personally I like the PDF manual, but I'd also like a printed copy. The PDF is great for looking something up quickly, but the CM manuals have always been great in my opinion. I can take my manual down to our living room and read it while spending time with the family. It's one of the few computer related things that I can do when not in front of my computer! smile.gif

I don't mind them leaving a printed manual out, but I sure wish they would print some and sell them separately on their website. I just like nice, large game manuals to read. I'm the type that typically sits down to read the manual before ever launching the game.

Either way I enjoy all of the CM games, and look forward to things to come.