BFC has now real competitors.

Hi, (this is related to CMx2 topic).

CMx2 is in design but competitors arent sleep all time.

In future BFC will must fight on market with titles like this:

"Close Combat: Red Phoenix". Multimillion dollar budget and great past. 2006

"Officers" crazy looking wargame, developing by russian people (russian are crazy :D ). Great looking ingame movies available on gamershell.

Wartime Command, everyone knows what it's.

so BFC, are you afraid of future? smile.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there will be, fully 3d, future warfare USA vs Korea (2006) , completly new engine, based on novel: Red Phoenix. CSO is also working on it.

closecombat.com/future/future.html

[MOON: URL edited]

[ July 12, 2005, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

inff, the wargamer in me is looking forward to check out the titles you mentioned when they're out. It would be great to finally get something good to play other than what we made or published smile.gif

Competition is good for business. It makes you avoid stagnation and keeps you on your toes. Nothing to be afraid of. Like Sergei says, I'd wish there was more.

The games you mentioned are classic RTS games, and I think that Close Combat game is an FPS (and in any case the Close Combat name is just that by now - a trademark sold from one company to another), so it's quite something different than what CM is, and CMX2 is going to be. Like most RTS and FPS games that I bought in the past couple of years or so, many look very good, but that's about it. Nothing I saw from the games you mentioned makes me think that these will be any different than the typical RTS out there, although the hope is there (it always is, isn't it? As if the tons of good looking crap made in the past by the mass market types suddenly don't count anymore when you see new screenshots and read new feature lists and dream of what that new game could be... only to be disappointed again)

CMX2 is going to look good, too, but looks is not where our core focus lies in terms of development. Which is why we don't think of these other games as much of a competition - at least not more than from pretty much any other game out there - and in fact, perhaps some of these games will in fact make more people interested in "deeper" tactical gameplay, which would be a plus for us, not a minus.

But you know, even if this would change and the mass market suddenly produced something really decent after so many failed attempts (at least when you define "decent" by more than graphics), I think that most people will have space on their harddrive for another game if ours is really good. And it will be. And it will look good, too. Future will be good, as game makers and as game players.

Martin

Great answer Martin.

The fact is that competition is what drives innovation. It is exciting to me that there is recognition by multiple game companies of market potential in this field. As computers get more powerful, this can only help the genre.

It is disconcerting to watch huge companies like EA/Activision gobble up their smaller competitors. It hurts us as gamers - a great example is the wonderful, but flawed, Rome: Total War game. EA has restricted the developers to 2 patches and given them time limits. Thus now that the two patches are out, a potentially great game is reduced to simply a good game for impartial financial considerations. Now Rome: Total War players must wait for (and then pay for) the game expansion to get a patch and features that were advertised and should have been available with the original title.

BFC has nothing to be afraid of, and a whole lot to look forward to.

jw

I think you should change your header from "now has" to "may eventually have". All those titles have 2006 dates on them and 6 months in computer gaming is a long long time. I wonder how many titles between now and then are going to run into significant problems that will either delay, kill, or hobble the title. We've seen so much prospective BFC competition dangled temptingly before us. But they never seem to make it to market!

[ July 12, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Except losing Matt to some kids game company. From the pictures I saw from the 3rd Annual CMvention, it would appear that the first kids game company that offers him a comfortable rug and free beer will wind up stealing him away from us!
The biggest thing that BFC must fear from Matt's end of things is that he may be 'distracted' by a female with the right anatomical proportions... :eek:

jw

I watch the horizon very closely and none of those titles are any kind of competition for what Combat Mission offers. I don't want another RTS, another canned campaign with a hero, or an FPS. No, I want another WEGO or something similar. I want realistic results, not hit points. I want a great selection of units and scenario possiblities. None of the examples given come close.

When I played CMBO demo before CMBO release, I absolutely hated it. It wasn't Steel Panthers turn based and I lost control, or so I thought. Came back the next day, swallowed my annoyance, and played entire demo scenario. It literally changed my whole perspective on wargaming. Now for tactical WWII combat, nothing comes close and nothing in the future looks like it will, with the exception of CMx2.

My still playing wargame favorites that has no competition to date --

WWII Land Tactical: Combat Mission (favorite)

WWII Land Operational: Panzer Campaigns

WWII Air: IL-2

WWII Sea: Silent Hunter III

My Combat Mission games are the longest installed games ever and I still play them.

Wish there was more competition, I really do. But I haven't seen squat from anything that is coming down the pipe.

I can only hope. But thank goodness Combat Mission arrived and showed me how it could be done, and it will be my measuring stick for some time to come.

I still have all Combat Missions installed on my PC. I loved Battlefront from the first time I played CMBO. It was magic! Thank you Battlefront for all the wonderful game youve given us. I love you guys

I just hope and pray that CM2 will have modern equipment. Ill give you my left kidney for it (really)

Originally posted by Gpig:

Hey, TC. As long as you're givin' those things away . . .

smile.gif

Gpig

Sure, would you like any other organs as well?

If I can launch a UAV, drive up-armored Hmvees in a convoy, dig in with Abrams tanks and fire M16A3-203, all in CM2, Ill give you my left nut as well

Originally posted by inff:

so BFC, are you afraid of future? smile.gif

In the future, please address all 'BFC, afraid of future' posts to me.

While not an Official 'Spokes Creature' for BFC, I am fully conversant with all forms of 'future fear', and I have far too much time on my hands because I'm not currently running a successful game company.

As such, I am more than competent to opine: 'No, I don't think a significantly different game system (RTS), which most of their customer base are only passingly interested in, if at all, will suddenly suck the life-force out of their children's mouths.' Just as I feel confident with my saying that 'A game market already flooded with First Person Shooters isn't suddenly going to destroy Combat Mission, which is not a First Person Shooter, just because yet another First Person Shooter has been released.'

I will then, on an even more personal level, go on to say that 'I would rather have a live weasel introduced into my colon than play yet another graphic intensive but reality challenged First Person Shooter', or 'Real Time Strategy games make me tired, but compensate by making me feel good about having grown old enough to enjoy the mental challenge of a tactically stimulating game that provides a true challenge in a turn-based form', or, finally, 'Close Combat made me feel like I was watching an ant farm gone hideously awry, with my most fervent wish being that all the wriggling vermin would snuff it before I had to watch any more of their bizarre antics.'

I would then go on to point out, once again, that I was only the 'Completely Unofficial Advocate for the Combat Mission line of games', and remind people that 'Games with multi-million dollar backing invariably spend 40% of it on Hideous Advertising Campaigns, 20% of it on Middle-Managers, Marketing Whores, and the people that, in every industry, are called 'Ten Percenters', and a final 20% is spent on packaging, product placement, and 'family members of upper executives who draw a salary for play-testing'. Only about 20% is actually spent on 'Making a Good Game'. And that's at best.

I would then remind people that 'This is only one, simple man's opinion', and finish by saying: 'Hasbro...Hasbro...Exterminate the brutes!'

I would then invite you into the 'Peng Challenge Thread', or the 'Cheery Waffle thread' to 'meet the guys!'

Remember: Only you can prevent huge, parasitic game companies from sacrificing small children on evil altars, and using their blood to make the 'mark of the beast' on the foreheads of executives who dance naked around a pentagram drawn by marketing pillocks while attempting to summon 'The Great God, Mammon'.

In all fairness, I should point out that I'm almost completely insane. On the other hand, it was reality that to drove me to the rather 'special' attitude that I currently manifest.

Selah.

[ July 12, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]