wILL WE GET TO SEE THE COVENTATOR TANK.

So, you are refering to the A13 Mk III - Cruiser Tank Mk V aka Covenantor, 1940 ?

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/7413/a13iii.html

Truly an auspicious vehicle that will really be missed in CMAK:

nspired by Russian T-28. Was produced by the London Midland and Scottish Railway Company. Had an improved steering system. The driver's position was moved to the right side and the radiators for the engine were located on the left side. A flatter engine was installed to lower it's height, but this caused it's cooling system to not work. These problems weren't discovered until it was already been in production.

The turret floor was smaller than the turret ring and this caused the gunner to sit in an uncomfortable position and the commander risked getting his legs trapped when the turret was rotated.

Were issued to the regiments of the 1st Armored Division. When the 1st was transferred to Egypt the tanks were transferred to the 9th Armored Division.

Never used operationally. Used for training until 1943.

Was declared obsolete in 1943 and orders were issued that all surviving tanks were to be scrapped.

Probably the only Covenanter lost to enemy action was one that was attached to the Armored Train "H," based in Canterbury. It was destroyed in an air raid on May 31, 1942, by the Germans.

From http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/britain/cruiser_mk_v_covenanter.html

The Covenantor unfortunately disproves the old maxim in AFV design that if it looks right, it usually is. Great looks but woeful performance.

Unusually, the bridgelayer version of the Covenantor did see action, whereas the gun tank did not. The RAAC took one of their's to Bouganville for use there. There's no record of its performance but there are a few pictures of it being used to bridge holes in roads. One suspects that if its performance in the UK was woeful, its performance in the Tropics must have left a great deal to be desired.

There was also an amphibious tank built on its chassis. Unfortunately, like the normal gun tank, its performance left a great deal to be desired.

I wonder though, might have one or two gun tanks actually made it out to Egypt for trials? Churchill did, Cromwell did. Does anybody know?

According to all sources I've seen the Covenanter never saw service as a gun tank, and a good thing too. Nonetheless, 6000 were built.

It stunk, it really did. In addition to the problems discussed earlier, it had a dodgy clip to hold the turret hatch open, so when moving across bumpy ground, this sometimes came loose and cracked the commander on the back of the head. As the hatch is a large section of steel plate, this would more than likely incapacitate or kill him.

This insult of an armoured vehicle was less reliable than the ill-starred Crusader and couldn't mount anything larger than a 2pdr.

It wouldn't have been acceptable, let alone good, anywhere.

Plus it's unlikely to have been shipped out to the desert, as it was clearly proven useless in Britain.

The Covenantor is going to show up in the next game "CM: Home Front" or CMHF for short. This game is going to highlight all the armor that never actually made it into battle: The Covenantor, the Canadian Ram (2 pdr and 6 pdr versions), the Brit 8x8 Boarhound AC, the U.S. Deerhound AC, and my favorite - the Duplex Drive Valentine III for beach invasion!

I'd buy the game. ;)

Originally posted by MikeyD:

The Covenantor is going to show up in the next game "CM: Home Front" or CMHF for short. This game is going to highlight all the armor that never actually made it into battle: The Covenantor, the Canadian Ram (2 pdr and 6 pdr versions), the Brit 8x8 Boarhound AC, the U.S. Deerhound AC, and my favorite - the Duplex Drive Valentine III for beach invasion!

I'd buy the game. ;)

Don't forget the vaunted US M6 heavy tank. Why use it to counter German heavy armour when you can used it to sell warbonds?

Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

The Covenantor unfortunately disproves the old maxim in AFV design that if it looks right, it usually is. Great looks but woeful performance.

Unusually, the bridgelayer version of the Covenantor did see action, whereas the gun tank did not. The RAAC took one of their's to Bouganville for use there. There's no record of its performance but there are a few pictures of it being used to bridge holes in roads. One suspects that if its performance in the UK was woeful, its performance in the Tropics must have left a great deal to be desired.

<snip>

Ah Bluebottle (in my best Neddie Seagoon voice)!

We have a bridgelayer version at the Regt Museum. It looks pretty sad compared to the Matilda and the Centurion - even the Mk1 Ferret looks like a more practical AFV.

Now shut up or I'll set Eccles and Moriarty onto you!

Ying tong, ying tong, ....

Phew - for a moment I thought MtJS was asking for the famous COMMENTATOR tank of TODAY (Radio 4, 6-9am), commanded by John Humphries and driven Sarah Montague.

The voice files would of course be very interesting:

JH: 'Answer the question minister! I have asked you a very clear question. Are you, or are you not, in favour of decent tanks?'

M: 'Well, let me first say...'

COMMENTATOR: KABOOOM

SM: 'And now it is time for 'Thought for the day' with the Battalion Padre, the very reverend 'Kill em all, let God sort em out''

Scary.

:D

Seriously how much faith and confidence would you have in your CO's if they made you a covenantor commander?!?! Legs getting trapped and crushed in a rotating gun turret, getting your head cracked open by a dodgy hatch!

Holy hell! You'd feel like that somehow the axis and allies had entered into an injury lease agreement where any deficits in a set quota had to be filled by the deficant side!

"Yes i got my first purple heart when my foot was wrenched from my body by a rotating gun turret in the birmingham parade grounds while my second permanently disfiguring injury, and subsequent second purple heart, and discharge from the services, occured when my head was jammed into the gun breach by an errant hatch door, while displaying in the Edinburgh military tattoo of '42, left a nasty mark that one. I can still hear their screams on the cold and lonely nights..... ah no that's just the tinnitus from my permanent concussion." (An exerpt from the book: Covenantor Commander in the breach: 3 days in hell, by Dale "Hingy" McBain.)

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

<snip>

Ah Bluebottle (in my best Neddie Seagoon voice)!

We have a bridgelayer version at the Regt Museum. It looks pretty sad compared to the Matilda and the Centurion - even the Mk1 Ferret looks like a more practical AFV.

Now shut up or I'll set Eccles and Moriarty onto you!

Ying tong, ying tong, .... </font>

The Christie suspension was designed by Walter Christie, an American fellow. The design obviously had more overseas success than local. I'm not completely sure the Brits didn't get the patent from America instead of the Russians.

Mr Furious wrote about the Covenantor:

"...getting your head cracked open by a dodgy hatch!"

That was precisely the problem the Brits had with the good-old Sherman! I believe a fair proportion of Shermans at El Alemain had one of the split commander's hatches removed because of the problem of the unlocked heavy hatch wacking the commander in the back of the head! :eek:

[ November 26, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by Private Bluebottle:

"Captain! If you do that, I'll use my best cardboard gun here to go 'BANG!' at you! See if I don't!"

"Anyway, Mum says I'm not to talk to rude men like you!" tongue.gif

Yes, I've seen the Covenantor AVLB at Pucka. Sorry beast that it is.

Actually I meant the one at our Regt museum at Parramatta, rather than the Corps one.

Now go and gorge yourself on that picture of a bag of licorice all sorts, whilst we listen to Mr Greenslades.

[ November 26, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by Firefly:

Is this a competition to see how many people can mispell 'Covenanter'? Will it be followed by spin off threads about the Shermon, the Crusador, the Stewart/Hunny and the Leigh?

smile.gif

Fartfly, Farfly, Ferretfly, Farcefly, Fruitfly are some others that come to mind.

:D