What the Big Boys play with

I just stumbled across this big-time 3-D simulator website (not affiliated with our own Bigtime software of course). The kinda stuff that governments buy to play with. I thought you might like to see what CMx2 could look like if we were willing to pay $150,000 per game insead of $35! I don't think my old Mac G3 could handle a polygon count this big!

METAVR 3-D website

[ January 05, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

After wander throught the site I think it shows that CMx2 doesn't have to drastically improve its vehicle polygons (how pretty does a PzIII have to be?), but more complex (modular?) building designs would go a LONG way towards creating a believable combat environment.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

After wander throught the site I think it shows that CMx2 doesn't have to drastically improve its vehicle polygons (how pretty does a PzIII have to be?), but more complex (modular?) building designs would go a LONG way towards creating a believable combat environment.

Not to mention evolving environment/time.Weather moves in and out--rain starts and stops.The sun moves across the sky,increasing/decreasing sun glare.The wind comes and goes.Ground conditions could also change,depending on time and circumstances.

That would do wonders for believable combat environment smile.gif

Right. I take Thanks a Lot or Panzertruppen buildings anytime. (To say nothing of the roads...) The vehicles models are exquisite though.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

[...] I think it shows that CMx2 doesn't have to drastically improve its vehicle polygons (how pretty does a PzIII have to be?), but more complex (modular?) building designs would go a LONG way towards creating a believable combat environment.

I absolutely and definitely concur.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

That looks awful. Most of the WWII fps's today look a lot better. The soldiers in the pic are all standing ramrod straight...pretty funny. CMBB/AK both look better IMHO...now if only BF can make the maps more natural looking without all those 45 and 90 degree angles!

In my experience with government contracted tactical military simulators I have seen one common thread: they all put a low priority on visual fidelity and animation and a high priority on operational fidelity. They don't care if it looks real, only if the simulation can generate useful data for the military men. My experience is with UCOFT and the huge multi-vehicle simulator farm in Grafenwohr. This stuff is only nominally better graphically and that was 16-18 years ago.

I do hope they make a load of different building types. Maybe make some basic building structures that allow you to build your own buildings in an editor and connect them and such. Sort of like you can with factories only with a lot more variety. And let troops on the roofs of buildings!!!! :-O