How do most peolple play this game?

The AI is just for learning. I played many, many QBs and small scenarios against the AI in my early days to get a feeling for the game, learn the equipment, and experiment tactically.

However, after a certain point, you beat the AI severly, every time. Then it's time to PBEM.

I started about two years ago and haven't played the AI since...

My pbem opponents might say "not very well." ;)

Up until recently just played the AI in scenarios, but now I've discovered that it's more fun to be able to taunt a real live opponent as you crush his pathetic forces into the ground. At least I assume it will be if/when it happens.

I still prefer scenarios to qb's - more of a historical feel to the game.

I started with CMBO in Oct of 2002, got BB when it came out but didn't really get to it until late summer/fall of 2003, and now I'm just starting to check out AK but I think most my time is still with BB and will be for a while.

Although, I still even play BO from time to time.

I'm currently having fun with:

vs PBEM for a serious challenge over a long time.

vs TCP when I want to spend a chunk of time against a human in one sitting...this is very time dependent so doesn't happen too often.

vs AI for when I just want to play for fun with instant gratification, have a quick game, try out historical scenarios, or unbalanced situations, and hey, sorry but sometimes the AI will beat me.

For QB's I do usually give it big odds and have it play some kind of defense or at least a ME styled game.

I almost always use increased forces for the AI, the bonus experience thing doesn't sit right with me for some reason, seems too, well, artificial?

I like scenarios overall the best, I dig the historical/semi-rp aspect.

I play them mostly for human play and I use QB's and scenarios both for AI play.

Operations are fun too, which I have only played vs the AI.

Now if we just had a good campaign system with some RPG elements I’d be doomed! Haha... smile.gif

Jordan "AstroCat"

[ January 22, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: AstroCat ]

Originally posted by Alfatwosix:

Mainly QB-PBEM.

Can't be bothered too much with playing the AI.

TCP-IP, never tried, then again, I have ADSL at work and only have dial up connection at home. It's pretty stable though... would it work?

Yes, it works fine. As long as the battles are 1,000 points per side or a bit more, you're fine.

Originally posted by Alfatwosix:

Mainly QB-PBEM.

Can't be bothered too much with playing the AI.

TCP-IP, never tried, then again, I have ADSL at work and only have dial up connection at home. It's pretty stable though... would it work?

Yes, it works fine. As long as the battles are 1,000 points per side or a bit more, you're fine.

Right now, I prefer small battles that have less than 1000 points. When I have more than a company and too many vehicles to manage, I tend to quickly lose interest.

I've only played QBs against the AI so far. I need to try playing against humans, but I'll get my butt kicked back to Berlin.

[ January 22, 2004, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Omi ]

The best is the rare IP I do, especially when I can lure my brother into a contest and savage his forces. The well sprung ambush or flank attack is much more tasty against a human opponent.

Since nearly when CMBO came out I've had at least one Email game running. For several years I played at least one QB a day - kinda my substitute for an after work drink.

Just restarted doing QBs both to see how the game has changed and to try various weird setups for scenario ideas. Giving the computer +1 in experience and +50% in points can lead to some tense moments especially if you have shabby troops - in my last QB my best unit and the one that brought in the victory was a pathetic M13/40! She did well knocking out two cruisers, 3 bunkers and a host of pesky Brit infantry to allow the Green Italian infantry platoon to advance to success.

I'm one of those that barely ever plays the AI anymore, although I have a few times with CMAK since it's new and all. Also I NEVER play quick battles. I think I have played two in my whole CM experience. So that leaves scenarios and almost always PBEM. I have two regular opponents, one in Sweden and one in Canada! I'm a Yank so CM you could say brings the world together with war! Kind of ironic in my opinion that I have made friends worldwide by beating the crap out of each other! :D

I love to play tcp/ip when I have the time as it is very time intensive. Being able to fight out an engagement in one sitting is very nerve wracking, tension filled, and always satisfying! No better way to play in my opinion and it's definately my favorite it's just that you do need to set aside a block of hours if you are playing that way.

As an aside, I played "Our Backs to the Volga" (CMBB) tcp/ip over a week long period, every night, for a grand total of 15+ hours! Still one of my favorite scenarios of all time.

In part from my most relevant answer in another thread:

How to play CM: Don a WW2 tanker's helmet and some greasy coveralls. Don't bother shaving or showering for a few days. Turn the lights down low throughout the room. If you have a stereo, put on some Wagner real loud (you know the tune already, don't you?) Burn some canvas, wood, metal shavings and animal hair (unless your own is conveniently falling out) in an ashtray by the computer. Let the aroma waft around the now-smoky room. Go without eating for a couple of days, then eat a half pound of jerky and crackers real fast. Wash it down with water from your dog's bowl. Stay up a couple of nights. Turn off the phone and TV. Tell your significant other you have a communicable disease, assuming you don't already have one. Insert CM disk and pick a scenario. Havablast. Be sure to scream, whimper and curse a lot. Don't answer the doorbell because they'll just take you away anyhow. When you're done with the scenario or totally fried, walk outside and mill around a mall, experiencing what it must have been like for returning veterans. Avoid cops and people with big nets. Return home if you can find it, dial in the PC to this forum and tell everyone what war is really like.

Congratulations! You're now a Grog!

QB vs AI mostly.

I'm missing a good dynamic campaign to make it slightly more interesting.

PBEM just isn't enough for me. I like to play for a few hours every time I start and if you play PBEM all you get is one turn smile.gif .

Problem with TCP/IP is that you usually can't relax and play at your own pace but you need to adapt to the opponent.

I sometimes play TCP/IP though...for the challenge.

//Salkin

PBEM against my old time foes Strider,Rhudat,Big_Mik1,Ralf,Harold,Don,Andrew

one turn a day each, since late 2001. Always have between five and eight games running. I´m loosing more than I´m winning, but hey ...

PBEM´s only with handmade maps though. Those QB maps ( though sometimes nice ) cant beat a well done human made map.

Played some TCP/IP lately with those execellent packs from Boots&Tracks. Highly recommended.

Playing against the AI only to test something specific .

I like IP but rarely do it. Usually its a great fight and a lot of fun. Playing against the AI is useful and good training ,but it does become somewhat predictable. Still fun though, especially if you give the AI some advantages to make your life on the battlefield more exciting. Do a lot of PBEM with my brother who although a better CM player than I am is defeated a fair amount of the time. Prefer QB's to most scenarios although I must admit that a good scenario can be superior to a QB.