To cheat or not to cheat!!! I own ULTRA

Due to fumbling fingers I accidentally discovered my opponents password. :cool:

He used a single letter, which happened to be the same 1st letter in my password. I then clumsily hit Enter key instead of Shift, the 2nd letter in my password is UPPER CASE.

:D Behold!!! :D I gazed upon the map from the enemies point of view. :D

Everytime he submits a turn I can simply alter his orders and evil laugh here: Waahahaha.

:confused: Or should I let him know and do a start over? :confused: Its only a game.

;)

[ May 23, 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: General Colt ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Cheat, and do a complete AAR for us complete with pictures. See if he gets wise.

You make me sad. Is this why Achilles lay with wine dark maidens by the seas of Troy...or whatever.

Listen to Grog Dorosh, lad, and lose your immortal soul. That bastard. Chin up, stiff upper lip, and try to remember, you're British!

Originally posted by General Colt:

Will do the AAR.

We are already 4 turns in to it and have not made contact yet.

His tanks will turn around!

His arty will fall on his own men!

All ammo will be expended on nothing.

I hear the evil laugh, even as I type.

The great trick will be to use your new CM SuperPower in such a way that it does not become obvious to the enemy -- he must not hear the evil laugh. Of course, this is exactly the problem the Allies had with the real Ultra. Use it too obviously and you blow the gaff.

Then again, perhaps this is a bluff, and our man is merely circulating disinformation in order to be able to stage a "leak" to his opponent and call off a game he would otherwise be sure to lose...

Or maybe these posts really originate from his opponent, posing as General Colt, who has by subtle means gained access to his account and wishes to invalidate the game...

I think I detect the fine Greek hand of John Kettler in all this. The lack of evidence for such a thing confirms that it is true and is being kept dark by powerful unnamed interests.

Meanwhile, put me down as interested in a tactical comms intercept capability purchaseable in future versions of CM.

All the best,

John (or am I really someone else?).

I confess this happened to me a long while back with a CMBB opponent. I could see where he had static flanking defenses ie hidden guns etc The trick was to take them without letting on my knowledge. Using foot troops to 'accidently' recce proved very useful just as in ULTRA recce aircraft in the Med were sent to precise locations so to be seen to locate already known Italian convoys. Then using the usual procedures to take them out

The biggest advantage was the ability to calculate and recalculate your moves to him in marginal armour confrontations and then check to see the ones with the best outcome for yourself and only send them on.

[ May 23, 2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Remind me not to play using PBEMH in "Trusted mode" with you guys!!!

General Colt's story doesn't quite hold water, by the way: what was he doing typing _his_ password into a session that was expecting his opponent's password in the first place????

Strange kind of "accident" if you ask me!

you've got to tell him. tempting as is might be he's your mate isn't he?

and if not, then *definately* do it so he can't tell. flanking movements cut off and decimated, his main infantry reaching the trees as the arty hits, hidden guns hit with massive HE. do it well & you've not only won the game, you've completely ruined his theorys about FOW.

I had a game were my opponent entered no password. And yes, I accidently opened his file As soon as I realized it, I closed it and made sure to never look at it again.

That said, it sure would be funny to make all his tanks "cower", his infantry charge across the open, his arty to fall off the board, etc, etc.

This is all an elaborate deception anyways methinks. Damn double agents are everywhere.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

General Colt's story doesn't quite hold water, by the way: what was he doing typing _his_ password into a session that was expecting his opponent's password in the first place????

It's easy to do if you have an additional folder in your PBEM folder. For ROW, I kept all the incoming turns in a subfolder called "ROW" as I would need to see them later for my AARs. The outgoing I kept in the PBEM folder. Sometimes - my opponents will attest to this - I selected the latest turn from the wrong folder to send on.

Also, even with just one folder, sometimes you don't realize that, say PBEM_009 has been placed on the next row of files when the window comes up for you to select the next turn, and you hit PBEM_008 instead, and it asks for your opponent's password.

Very common error, really.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Here is what happened:

First point it wasn't in "trusted mode".

I had downloaded some emails the day before and received 2 turns from different players. I played those turns without replying. The next day I downloaded a couple of more turns. When I started to play, I looked at my incoming email list. I normally use the "reply indicator" to check if I owe a turn or it has already been sent. I opened and played the ones that did not have a reply indicator. When I opened the latest file from this poor unsuspecting victim it really was the one I had completed the day before.

[ May 23, 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: General Colt ]