Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

**** ROW V (Part 4) ****

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the one asking if there is still a spot available for the finals?

Well, I think this should answer your question:

-Section 4

Cuzn

Ankulin

Green as Jade

BigDuke6

-Section 5

Kanonier Reichmann

Big Dog

The Enigma

Ted

-Section 6

Elmar

Melnibone

John O

mPisi

-Section 7

Diesel Taylor

Stikkypixie

John Bertles

Sandy

-Section 8

Sripe

Michael Dorosh

I have just now sent out 4 mass e-mails, one per side for 'St. Nazaire' and 'Tiger Valley', to sections 4 thru 7. Please e-mail me if you do not receive at least 2 e-mails from me within 24 hours.

Still waiting on two more voluteers for section 8.

Tomorrow evening the third and final scenario will be sent out, and the clock will start. I will announce the deadline at that time.

No limitations whatsoever. This is (most likely) the last hurrah for the old engine, so I would like to give as many people as possible the opportunity to enjoy the ROW tournament.

If you can commit to finishing 3 scenarios in the time alloted (which I will announce tomorrow) then by all means e-mail me.

All I ask is that you do your best to finish your games, and to give your opponent hell.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Kingfish, did you get my mail about BigDuke and Other Means? Both tried to get in but hasn't heard back and got their email bounced respectively. If you can still find a spot for them that would be awesome.

BigDuke is already in (section 4), but have not heard from Other means. He is now in section 8.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Kingfish, did you get my mail about BigDuke and Other Means? Both tried to get in but hasn't heard back and got their email bounced respectively. If you can still find a spot for them that would be awesome.

BigDuke is already in (section 4), but have not heard from Other means. He is now in section 8. </font>

ah right, no problem smile.gif

Let me just say that Real life sucks :mad:
thats why fantasy realities we make up in our own heads are much better ... until you go and tell someone and you spend several years in the nutty house :(

cough ... erm not likes that ever happened to me ... erm yes .... *runs for the door*

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Nope, and neither have the files for section 8.

Let me just say that Real life sucks :mad:

Trying again tonight.

Speaking for myself, "no rush."

I never did turn in my AARs. Scoring so low down, I couldn't imagine my feedback being of any importance to the designers, however, I will give my AARs here in condensed form.

a) Wet Triangle AAR - I sucked

B) St. Edouard - I lucked out against Warren

c) Highlanders in Hell - I sucked

d) Moltke's Bridge - like everyone else, never noticed my own reinforcements until they were gunned down

e) Maleme - enjoyable, not enough turns for the attacker. Could have used 60 more. Incomprehensible why a wild card like air support would be included in a tournament scenario

Kudos to the scenario designers. Moltke's Bridge gets my vote for most awful briefings; the surprise reinforcements were trying. So was getting my units across the bridge, rather like herding cats. Some dudes were much more successful at it than I (no surprise) so good for them.

Warren used his Canadian Army training to good effect, with a "hey-diddle-diddle, straight-up-the-middle" assault on the sanitorium. Glad my machine guns worked. And some lucky shots with my anti-tank weapons on his Shermans. The only bright spot in ROW for me.

Maleme gets "most balanced" honours (I was attacking as Allies) if not for the air support. No real complaints about it, just seems odd that a weapon so potent and not under the player's control would be included.

Highlanders seemed silly; got to ambush one German AC, and watch in horror as my FOO panicked for the last half of the game; didn't get a single shot off. Didn't change the final outcome but no doubt affected my score.

Wet Triangle was silly too; I went for the reverse slope defence instead of shooting everything at range. Shouldn't do that when outnumbered, I guess.

Looking forward to the playoffs.

That's it, the third scenario just went out. The ROW V finals are underway!

I am giving you guys a generous 120 day deadline to finish these 3 scenarios. That puts the deadline at...October 20th.-or-whenever the last finalist score is submitted, whichever comes first.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Wet Triangle was silly too; I went for the reverse slope defence instead of shooting everything at range. Shouldn't do that when outnumbered, I guess.

Describing a scenario that someone put a lot of effort into as "silly" and then publishing your own very silly approach to the scenario is, in itself, very silly.

GaJ.

[ June 23, 2005, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

The publishing of the AARs is reliant on forumnites being good? Excellent, I am looking forward to spending the summer on the beach working on my tan instead of reading the AARs.

:D

I really didn't like not having my AARs published last time around, and not being able to read about the battles while I could still remember them.

So I have, almost literally, put my money where my mouth is and obtained a hosting account where we can publish them.

Ace has kindly collated and PDFed them.

Cpl is in the process of the website design.

It's my sincere intention that all of them be available within a week or two at the most. Of course many things could get in the way, including Ace having time to upload 120Mb of files, but we're doing all we can.

GaJ.

[ June 24, 2005, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]