How 'Bout Those M3 Turrets!

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

They can hold up fairly well against 88's as close as 700 meters away. This means a hull down M3 at about 700 meters is virtually unkillable from the front. Very interesting....

I guess that means I can pardon my Pz III crews who couldn't kill, or even dent, hull-down M3s. Not that many of the German crewmen involved survived the contact. :eek: :eek:

Treeburst posted:

They can hold up fairly well against 88's as close as 700 meters away.
Treeburst, it sounds like your playing the scenario Flak Front! from the CD. One thing to consider in that desert battle is that the temperature is set to Hot, simulating the heat/haze phenomenon which, as testing shows, exerts a doleful effect on long range gunnery.

I've also noticed that the M3 is very prone to being 'shocked'. Perhaps this is due to the unusual unit density inside the hull: seven men.

IIRC the 37mm turret ring diameter was the same, but the British designed turret had a built-in radio sponson in the rear and of course no m.g. cupola. The radio sponson's external overhang probably makes it look larger, and it a "bulk" sense, it is. I suspect the weight was about equal, given the loss of the cupola was traded off with additional armor mass for the sponson.

Tested.

I made a 800m x 800m map, with 100m wide firing lanes running E-W, each with a high elevation hill blocking view to the next firing lane. At the west end of each firing lane is a M3 with a small elevation to use for hull down. At the other end of each firing lane, an 88mm Flak, with ranges varying from 700m distant to 400m distant. Each range had a duplicate for checking purposes, thus, there were two 88s firing at 700m, two firing at 600m, etc.

Dry ground, Sand terrain, midday, warm temperature. All crews regular, standard ammo loadout. Tanks instructed to find hull down positions relative to 88mm cannon.

Results were as follows:

[note: edited from previous posting - error in transcription - several "partial" penetrations corrected to "full" penetrations]

700m

Lane 1: M3 front turret full penetration, knocked out, crew bails with 3 survivors

Lane 2: M3 front turret partial penetration, knocked out, crew bails with 5 survivors

600m

Lane 1: M3 damaged by front turret partial penetration, then knocked out by full penetration upper hull, crew bails with 4 survivors

Lane 2: M3 gun damaged

500m

Lane 1: M3 front turret full penetration, crew bails with 3 survivors

Lane 2: M3 front turret full penetration, crew bails with 2 survivors

400m

Lane 1: Survives until end of test. No hits, no damage.

Lane 1: Survives until end of test. No hits, no damage.

I'm not at all sure why the tanks at 400m lived -probably some manner of fluke; but as the results show, they are not unkillable from the front by 88mm fire.

It's quite easy to make firing lanes and test in this manner. Try it yourself if you're not convinced. I'll run the test again tonight and repost new results.

[ January 13, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Kozure ]

Notice that all your turret hits are only PARTIAL penetrations. The only clean knockout you have there is the single upper hull penetration...and this is with the mighty 88! With lesser guns the Grant/Lee would be very tough indeed. That is, if the Achilles Heel upper hull could be put hull down.

[ January 12, 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

I think a 37mm gun that rotates 360 degrees and is killable only by AT assets more powerful than a 75mm/43 would be quite handy in many situations. The distraction value alone would be nice. :D

In any case, the upper hull is the undoing of the UberGrant; but the test above does not show the Grant turret to be anything less than very tough.

I didn't realize the upper hull was exposed when in "hull down" position. Maybe it's just the M3?

No, it's the same for all AFVs. It's one of the CM series small "secrets" and the it's due to the all powerful "abstration" which there are so many of.

Approx 25 % of all shots will be upper hull hits.

If only 25% can hit the upper hull when a Grant is hulldown then it follows that all other hits will impact the "uber-turret" where even high velocity 88mm shells have trouble penetrating at 700 metres. Does this seem reasonable when one considers that an 88 in CMBB was able to routinely penetrate IS 2's at pretty decent ranges?

Seems a tad unusual to me and if it's the case then I don't see why the U.S. ever bothered to upgrade to the Sherman when they had a far more resilient design from day one. :confused:

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Seems a tad unusual to me and if it's the case then I don't see why the U.S. ever bothered to upgrade to the Sherman when they had a far more resilient design from day one.

With a 37mm gun, the size of a barn, main armament hidden in a sponsoon, etc.pp. Not sure about the mechanical reliability of the M3, wasn't that a bit shoddy too?

So there were lots of reasons to upgrade, regardless of how the turret front performed in hull-down situations.

Notice that all your turret hits are only PARTIAL penetrations. The only clean knockout you have there is the single upper hull penetration...and this is with the mighty 88! With lesser guns the Grant/Lee would be very tough indeed. That is, if the Achilles Heel upper hull could be put hull down.

Ooops... I made a transcription error from my notes. I have corrected the table above. Three of the five front turret hits were actual full penetrations. I cut and paste lines and then forgot to edit whether they were full or partial penetrations. Table edited to match actual results.

As I said - test it yourself. Very simple to make a firing range map/scenario (about 5 minutes) and then run through the results.