Any Canadians get CMAK yet?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Lawrenson:

Again, still nothing here in Regina. This is starting to remind me of a Twilight Zone episode.

Ummm, isn't living in Regina much the same as living in a Twilight Zone episode anyways? tongue.gif

Or is there a way to differentiate between the two now? ;)

Harv

{edited to add that my copy made it to the middle of freaking nowhere this morning, so any Canucks that don't have it yet must really suck. Muahahahahahaha. Thank you for your attention in this matter.}

[ December 16, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Harv ]

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Got mine today. The post mark said it arrived Dec 5th. No wonder the mailman said "thank you" to me..... :rolleyes:

Hey Shadow, are you in London or just sentimentally tied to the regiment?

I received my copy in the mail last Thursday :D but didn't get my computer from the move until yesterday :( (and they broke my computer table, so I still haven't had a chance to look at the game) :mad:

There seems to be no logic in determining who gets it, and how fast. :confused:

I mean - you'd think that, despite being an apparent hotbed for Terrorists, that we few here in Winnipeg would get our copies within a few days of each other.

(Of course - everyone really knows, that its just too cold here for Terrorists, and that suicide bombing a grain elevator just lacks a certain degree of glamour) ;)

A buddy of mine out in High River Alberta got his copy the same day I got mine...yet I know there are guys out in Calgary who still haven't recived theirs yet.

Just no logic...

I guess in order to increase the longevity of CMAK on their computers, Canada Post and Canada Customs need to pinch a few more copies for just a bit longer... :(

Does anyone know why BTS doesn't offer different (and faster) delivery methods?

Originally posted by Little_Black_Devil:

I suspect that they are saving us the shock and grief of being blackmailed for a $25 brokerage fee which couriers such as UPS enjoy springing on Canadians after they have already paid for an order and shipping from the U.S.. I once ordered a game from Firaxis (Antietam) - it was about $30 dollars, plus shipping. UPS, who had already received their shipping fee, delivered it to my house when I wasn't there, and demanded a $25 customs brokerage fee PLUS a $4 COD charge for collecting the brokerage fee - and my innocent wife paid it, which, along with GST, meant that I paid more than double the sticker price to get the game in my hands. This happened again when I ordered a chess set from the States, so it wasn't an isolated incident.

I now insist on my goods being shipped by post from the States.

For anyone interested in the history of this bizarre situation - you may recall that years ago you would receive a bill in the mail from Canadian customs for duties assessed against goods delivered by courier or post. You were supposed to mail Customs Canada a check for the amount in the envelope provided. According to a friend of mine who works in Customs, 90% of these bills were never paid, so Customs said "screw this" and stopped sending bills out. Instead told couriers and the Post Office to collect the duties upon delivery. This annoyed the couriers who, in protest, charge a minimum $25 rate "brokerage fee" in the hope that we citizens will protest and force the government to make other arrangements for the collection of custom duties. It hasn't worked so far.

Fluf - interesting. I have a UPS delivery a year or so ago, if I am recalling this correctly, and there was a letter from a broker asking me to send them some money via mail. I laughed and threw the notice in the garbage and haven't heard a word about it since.

So I guess the government wasn't so crazy by abandoning that system after all! ;)

Having worked for a courier company for two years, I think I can safely say that no one at Canada Post is hoarding our copies of CMAK or keeping them for themselves. There are all kinds of factors in determining the flow of mail - its really just the luck of the draw. Trying to speculate would only make anyone look foolish.

Patience is a virtue. I do hope I have mine at some point this week, but we shall see.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Patience is a virtue. I do hope I have mine at some point this week, but we shall see.

I can't believe you haven't got it yet :eek:

I'm starting a CMAK PBEM with the opponent in China!

Send a setup when you do receive yours ... and Okay you can be the Canadians ;)

Originally posted by Fluf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Little_Black_Devil:

I suspect that they are saving us the shock and grief of being blackmailed for a $25 brokerage fee which couriers such as UPS enjoy springing on Canadians after they have already paid for an order and shipping from the U.S.. I once ordered a game from Firaxis (Antietam) - it was about $30 dollars, plus shipping. UPS, who had already received their shipping fee, delivered it to my house when I wasn't there, and demanded a $25 customs brokerage fee PLUS a $4 COD charge for collecting the brokerage fee - and my innocent wife paid it, which, along with GST, meant that I paid more than double the sticker price to get the game in my hands. This happened again when I ordered a chess set from the States, so it wasn't an isolated incident.

I now insist on my goods being shipped by post from the States.

For anyone interested in the history of this bizarre situation - you may recall that years ago you would receive a bill in the mail from Canadian customs for duties assessed against goods delivered by courier or post. You were supposed to mail Customs Canada a check for the amount in the envelope provided. According to a friend of mine who works in Customs, 90% of these bills were never paid, so Customs said "screw this" and stopped sending bills out. Instead told couriers and the Post Office to collect the duties upon delivery. This annoyed the couriers who, in protest, charge a minimum $25 rate "brokerage fee" in the hope that we citizens will protest and force the government to make other arrangements for the collection of custom duties. It hasn't worked so far. </font>

yes its a HUGE $5.00 service fee RIP off for "recovering" the cost of collecting the GST for the feds.

NOW thats a RIP OFF!

But Mike have you got your CMAK game yet??

(I am still waiting for mine)

-tom w

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

YES - ebay GST!!!! I paid 1.30 on GST on a game I bought from the States, and the handling fee is 5 bloody dollars! This happens not often for me, but often enough to be annoying!

Most ebayers now mark their packages as "gift", but if they include the value on it, it still costs GST for some reason. What a crock.