Any Canadians get CMAK yet?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine yesterday in the mail, dec. 9th (Montreal). There was no additional duties or cost. I had pre-ordered, so I presume it was shipped out dec. 2-3, although I just got the shipping confirmation email Dec. 5th. Last year, I waited 3 weeks for CMBB. I would think most people who preordered in Canada will receive their copies this week!

On another note CMAK is very impressive, some of the desert maps are HUGE, you can't even see them all at level 10! The dust adds a lot, seeing large dust clouds rising from a seemingly flat terrain and heading towards your position is very ominous.

There are only 4 scenarios with canadian troops and no Ortona scenario.

I pre-ordered the first sunday of this month, and it came yesterday.

I'm designing a Moro river battle as we speak ( River crossing to San Leonardo). The new terrain tiles are great for these italian coastal towns. Tight street and alleyway combat. One thing I will do is change my "default" winter grass. BFC have made it look orange / yellow / green ( appropriate for the weather) but it just doesn't look like winter in italy to me. I'd like to use the "summer" grass and darken it a little.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KenH:

Arrived in Sault, Ont :D

Just in time, storm warning with lots of snow coming smile.gif

WOW

did you pre-order?

did the border theives

hold you up for GST and PST?

has anyone in Canada

got stuck with border

duties PST and GST yet?

thanks for all the updates.

smile.gif

-tom w </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I will be redoing my CMBO Ortona operation, with additional research and playtesting. If anyone wants to assist with that playtesting, let me know.

*hand up*

Oh, by the way Michael, is Mark Zuehlke a little sensitive or what? Saw your review at amazon.ca. ;)

Originally posted by Axe2121:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I will be redoing my CMBO Ortona operation, with additional research and playtesting. If anyone wants to assist with that playtesting, let me know.

*hand up*

Oh, by the way Michael, is Mark Zuehlke a little sensitive or what? Saw your review at amazon.ca. ;) </font>

I received my CMAK copy today (Ottawa)

I ordered it on Dec 4th, IIRC.

What's weird is that I didn't get the "Your copy has been shipped" email I usually get. Not that I care. smile.gif

Anyway, kudos to the BFC shipping dept. I receive my goodies typically a week after I order them.

Phemur

I've read 'Ortona' and Zuehlke's book on the Liri Valley battles. My favourite book about the Canadian forces in Italy was 'The D-Day Dodgers', unfortunately out of print. The book avoids political correctness and seems to get closer to the real feelings and experiences of the people who were there. I had two copies - gave one to my cousin, whose dad was a veteran of the campaign attached to a Light Aid Detachment of engineers. He had some amazing stories to tell about recovering damaged Shermans at night, bridging the river near Cassino, and of hearing the distinctive sound of the German 28mm squeeze-bore AT gun. I gave the other copy to an old vet of the campaign who lived here in Almonte. He passed away about a year later, so I'm glad he had a chance to read about the history he made. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a replacement copy.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

:D But be careful what you say, it is apparently Kozure's favourite book.

tongue.gif

Ha... Ha... Ha. tongue.gif

I only mention it frequently because:

A) I just finished reading it.

B) It applies to the Italian campaign

C) It's one of a startling paucity of books which dwells less on how badly we (meaning Canadians) got mauled most of the time and more on the fact that we actually accomplished something against relatively steep odds.

Yes, more research needed. Yes, accuracy is a good thing. At least some more interest can be generated.

We could use more new books about Ortona, the Falaise Gap and Holland and not quite as many about Dieppe and Hong Kong. Canucks have a depressing tendency to dwell on failures... I'm reminded of the urban myth that beavers chew their own genitalia off under stress.

Sorry, I know you meant that comment as a joke, Michael, but we as a nation have a terrible tendency to tear down our own.