Okay, lets try this again... CMAK v1.03 Patch now ready for your downloading pleasure

Madmatt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, about reloading.

If you do a SHIFT-reload it is reloading "more", the browser doesn't only reload and redisplay, it also send no-cache pragmas along with the HTTp headers.

AOL users need that, because most (all?) AOL user are forced to use a HTTP proxy which is caching and doesn't really care for the normal reload.

Madmatt could also set an expire header to the patch page, I think AOL obeys to that these days.

That was fast! Thanks for not making us wait for the fix. I've got another game by another company ( I won't mention the name but it was released in May ) & we're still waiting on the first patch & nobody seems to know when it'll get posted.

P.S. I'm on crappy AOL &, surprisingly, I had no trouble getting either CMAK 1.02 & 1.03. Too bad CMBB wasn't like that. There was a nightmare...

Thanks Mad Matt, Michael and everybody else at BFC for creating the CMAK patch at last.

(I have computer problems at present and am going to do a reinstall soon and have not got around to installing it yet.)

Hopefully, I will now do some more scenarios and operations with CMAK. My only CMAK scenario had the wrong type of Churchill! (I have still been working on perfecting the CMBB Operation Ghosts of Napoleon with Brian Martuzas.)

I have been working on a Husky period Operation with Brian Maruzas but there are historical problems with the game. Bazookas were issued at Kasserine Pass but as the troops did not know how to use them and they were thrown away. For the invasion of Scilly – they are in the game in large numbers but accounts suggest AT grenades were the main infantry anti-armour weapon at this time. (I do not think they were used at all.) (In contrast British Paras have AT- rifles in the game but these were never used in Action and they had the PIAT at this time!) So I am hoping this issue has been addressed and if not I am hoping that it will be addressed with the correct plane types in a 1.04 ;) !

I do not know if the US patch will work with the CDV version. Can somebody say - if not I have Schoerner fix and other mods to make the game that bit more historical. (The website pages on gamedesign have largely been revised - just in case anybody interested!.)

Schoerner made me do my first post on the forum for some time! I could not login for a bit there, I thought that I might have been banned in my absence like everbody else or was it another oversight by Mad Matt! :eek:

In an earlier 'waiting for v1.03' thread I wrote:

"...to pass the time possibly start a betting pool on how quickly the fixed patch appears. If I had to pick a time I'd say.... (let me consult my astrologer here)... 1pm Friday."

Matt posted his patch announcement at 12:26 pm Friday. Does that mean i win the pool? What do I win? Can I quit my job and retire early? :D;)

Got my first look at the patch and despite the very many improvements I am still shocked and disappointed by CMAK and the omissions that could have been made very easily.

Major howlers such as:

The gamey CMBO armed jeeps in British Service, which simply did not exist.

Flamethrowers in British Service long before they were even developed!

Lee in British service still more common than the Grant – OK although despite not been able to find any figures for the Lees – a US grog rightly pointed out to me the photographic evidence for their existence in NA in British service. However, this can only have been a handful of vehicles (probably well less than 10) that were probably slipped in a Grant order to show the Lee in action back home in some propaganda photos. (This one just kills any credibility or suspension of disbelief for me in CMAK. I thought Steel Panthers was wonderful and the designers Omnipresinent until I started to do my own oobs and then realised it was sh*t.)

Airacobra in “British service”, when the few test planes were withdrawn before going into action. (I was taught English by the widow of an Airacobra test pilot – maybe Michael can still see all that the angst in my form of expression!) Kittyhawk in British service as a strafing fighter when it was only used as a ground attack bomber and was considered ineffective even in this role, etc for the planes in almost all nationalities. The latest marks of Spitfires as fighter-bombers when the early types strafe!

Ok, we got the AA Brens but they soon proved ineffective in this method of deployment except on vehicles soon went out of service long before Italy anyway! (I suppose this one is about actual usage of weapons, vehicles and men as against some paper ideal.

What was the point of all the Valentine variants being modelled if there is no difference between diesel and petrol engines?

Churchill III the commonest of this tank type is still missing!

Not checked to see but my guess is that the Free French in the early desert are still weird – they should be in British uniforms with a French Flag patch and have British weapons. Is this a US image of the French only coming over to the allied side after they landed in NA and asked them nicely?

Ok I picked on the Brits, but yes, there are lots more howlers even in the US list!

Please, please model actual organizations and vehicle usage at the level you are modelling – the company and tank Squadron at a certain location or battle and not extrapolate from general vehicles numbers from a larger theatre or present us with the weird and wonderful as being common place and standard.

These problems are largely editable in the oob – ok I don’t know how hard that is in CM but in most games systems like SPWAW if you know the changes you are going to make it takes only an afternoon to radically change a list. (Although I did say easily at the top of the post - I do appreciate it is much harder than that to get the necessary info, etc and the problems with taking a vehicle completely out of the game when it is in loads of scenarios, etc.)

Ok, I get the commercial point that BFC are in the industry to make money and will not be able to make the games that we want if they spend all their time on patches. An American producer in the “industry” once told me that he was cautious because if he made a turkey then it would be much harder for his company to sell even a great game the next time around. I think enough said on my personal viewpoint – after all I only invested a couple of a quid in the game and have only made a few posts, and played it a few times – so who cares.

(I suppose I am excited enough at the changes to try and do a few scenarios but points games are still going to be silly for me to even consider. Strangely for some reason all my current games are with CMBB.)

I have already more than had enough of my role of trying to get BFC to see the light and do the right thing and will now shut up and consider myself banned. Telling people what they don't want to hear is not how the world works not just in BFC land. No doubt I won’t be missed even if Michael posts a score of replies under different names shouting me down!

At least the modders are having fun!

Hello Folks, I have been away for a few months. Today I attempted to download the Mods to CMAK. I had not previously downloaded any mods to CMAK. So, I downloaded V1.03. The download appeared on my desktop as a .sit file. I clicked on it, and stuffit went to work on it. So far, so good. then nothing! I can't find anything that I can open to start dragging things into my regular CMAK files.

I have a iMAC G3 using OS 9.2.2. any suggestions would be appreciated,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by junk2drive:

I know nobody plays the French and nobody cares, but I found a mistake by accident.

July 43, French tankers have the Adrian helmet stuck on each side of their head like Princess Lea in Star wars.

And you know this is historically inaccurate how??? ;)

By the way, yours is one of the funniest posts I've come across. It really deserves its own thread.