Greatest Submachine Gun of WWII

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thompson, decent, but too heavy and expensive.

MP40 good, but as I understand was not as reliable as the PPSh, and also not as easy to keep steady when firing a long burst.

So I'll jump on the PPSh bandwagon, unless minor nation arms are a possibility, in which case I might pick the Soumi.

YD

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

my favorite smg is the m3 grease gun. why? it's light, cheap, reliable and rugged. plus it came with a caliber convertion kit so if u ran out of lead u could kill a german smg gunner and take his ammo, change the barrels and u r back in action.

<font size=1>help...</font> </font>

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by yacinator:

my favorite smg is the m3 grease gun. why? it's light, cheap, reliable and rugged. plus it came with a caliber convertion kit so if u ran out of lead u could kill a german smg gunner and take his ammo, change the barrels and u r back in action.

help...

Nope, he's all yours

wtf r u talkin' about?

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

<font size=1>help...</font> </font>

Here is a two-piece article about the Suomi-kp. http://guns.connect.fi/gow/suomi1.html

The weapon was probably the best product of the quite small Finnish arms industry at the time. I personally don't know how it compares to PPSh-41, but the most important factor for its fame was that SMG's were just essential in Finnish conditions, especially when there was otherwise a lack of LMG's. In Winter War this was made very obvious, when Russian infantry had no SMG's.

Overall, the Suomi SMG was a good product that was very well suited for Finnish nature and also had a suitable name (Suomi = Finland). Here it is a legend. But I'm sure we'd have done just as well with PPSh's if Stalin had supplied us with a good stack of those. We loved the Degtyarev's, anyway.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Are there any M3 "greaseguns" in CM? I haven't run into them. Maybe the caliber conversion kit is too difficult to model correctly. :D

Treeburst155 out.

BFC stated they didn't know whether the conversion from .45 to 9mm should take place in 10 seconds or 8 seconds. There was also the problem that all the dead Germans aren't modelled, only the last man to die in a squad is located on the map, so scrounging 9mm ammo to use in the conversion kits was difficult to implement.

I believe CMX2 will have stuff like the Pedersen device so that Springfield armed snipers can go full auto, sharpshooters can change their scopes on the fly (like Barry Pepper did in Saving Private Ryan), and barrel conversions will be done probably in 9 seconds unless there is too much whining about it.

I do wonder what good a barrel change would be without having a chamber to accept the different round, but I suppose BFC has thought that out too.

I was able to fire the M-3 greasegun at Ft. Knox in 1987 when I went to Tank School.

I was pretty impressed. Yeah, it was cheap and fairly shoddy, but it shot well. It had a nice controllable rate of fire that made it easy to walk rounds onto a target. It was easy to clean and maintain.

I've never fired a PPSh or MP-40, but the M-3 was a nice little weapon.