Tree bursts

Only indirect[EDITed to correct typo] fire and fire from onboard mortars get treebursts.

The only direct fire thing is firing against the upper floor of a building, which creates a nice airburst for everybody around it (even in the house).

[ August 31, 2004, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Only direct fire and fire from onboard mortars get treebursts.

The only direct fire thing is firing against the upper floor of a building, which creates a nice airburst for everybody around it (even in the house).

sorry Redwolf, do you mean to say indirect as your 2nd word?

confused of Liverpool.

If a shot from a DF gun hits the trees, it might create an airburst:

I remember 2 treebursts in the years since CMBO came out, both from IGs. One was a sIG firing from a higher elevation into a valley at long range. 2nd was a lIG from a small hill at 800m. I checked them several times and found no craters. The explosion graphics looked like treebursts.

My conclusion is that if treetops get in the way of a shell, there is a chance for a treeburst. No matter which gun it is. It is just that DF usually aims at the base of a target. So treebursts are extremely rare

Two facts that might influence the results:

As the IGs are low velocity weapons with a high trajectory, they might actually come down in a steep angle. Their inaccuracy often results in shooting too high thus hitting the foilage instead of the target ground.

I assume that when a round passes a certain height over trees there is a random dice roll for a treeburst. A steep angle might be necessary - or increase the probability.

Gruß

Joachim

I suspect that any round passing foilage level gets a dice roll for bursting..

Another test would be to area fire at the top of a steep cliff from below with HV guns.

Or on a slight rise with woods behind it.

Anything that ensures the trajectory crosses the foilage.

... but why test what you deem correct. I say it is in CMBB. :D

Gruß

Joachim