When will the Operational Art of War meet Combat Mission?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moon you cannot leave us hanging in the air like this… it would be cruel ;)

All the best,

Kip. [/QB]

I know, but it would be even more cruel to tell you more, THEN leave you hanging... For example, if I tell you that it's CM (not HistWar, not CMX2), does that make it better or worse?

See! Told ya so...

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Moon you cannot leave us hanging in the air like this… it would be cruel ;)

All the best,

Kip.

I know, but it would be even more cruel to tell you more, THEN leave you hanging... For example, if I tell you that it's CM (not HistWar, not CMX2), does that make it better or worse?

See! Told ya so...

Martin [/QB]</font>

Y'know, you guys ought to go for a walk, take a cold shower or something. You're making entirely too much of all this. You make it sound like the secret of longevity, your own seat on the Stock Exchange, and a harem full of slave girls all rolled into one. Have you considered psychiatric help?

(And yes, I am laughing at you.)

Michael

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

QUOTE]I know, but it would be even more cruel to tell you more, THEN leave you hanging... For example, if I tell you that it's CM (not HistWar, not CMX2), does that make it better or worse?

See! Told ya so...

Martin

OK

At least that sort of makes sense

I think he is hinting at a CMxx operational layer/add-on or something.

knowing it is NOT for CMX2 gives me some sanity and relief smile.gif

thanks

-tom w </font>

CMBO CMBB and CMAK are all CMxx type games

I am guessing Moon is hinting at some "game wrapper" or operational layer type thing on top of or including the CMBB or CMAK game engine, as a way to play CMAK or CMBB from a division level or operational level OR Something. :confused: :confused:

-tom w

Hmmmm,

It seems that Moon is a mean drunk. You know, the kind of happy guy who, once the alcohol gets in him, becomes some sort of fight provoking sadist. I imagine him reading these forums while drinking a cocktail of his choice. It can't be beer. That's not enough. It has to be a mean spirit. Something like cheap tequila, or cut-rate vodka. Mixed with something sweet, to get the benefit of a sugar fueled hangover the next day.

Anyway, there he is, swilling his margaritas or martinis, and, honing in on this thread decides to have some twisted fun. Well, HE thinks it's fun...

smile.gif

Ken

Hi,

Moon posted,

“I know, but it would be even more cruel to tell you more, THEN leave you hanging... For example, if I tell you that it's CM (not HistWar, not CMX2), does that make it better or worse?

See! Told ya so...

Martin”

Wow… I am confused; Moon has thrown me into confusion smile.gif

Ok, if it is not specific to CMX2 then my money is on a standalone program for us operational nuts to track units and generate parameters for games… bit like the one produced by Pal for CMMC.

Of course, I am now really at a total loss… but whatever it is it will be fun for sure :D .

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Abbott:

I never thought I would see that Mike !

What's that, oh Ugly One?

Ah. Well, actually you didn't. It was never there except in your own deranged imagination. But don't worry; as soon as we get these electrodes hooked up, everything will start to get better.

:cool:

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abbott:

I never thought I would see that Mike !

What's that, oh Ugly One?

Ah. Well, actually you didn't. It was never there except in your own deranged imagination. But don't worry; as soon as we get these electrodes hooked up, everything will start to get better.

:cool:

Michael </font>

All of this makes me think about a year ago (could have been much longer) that I had suggested/thought it would be a cool idea to have a strategic level map that you could select year and month and then section of the map and only forces that were in that area at that time could be selected for people who wanted more historic or realistic purchasing for QBs. I was given a pretty firm lesson by Dorosh at that time about the massive amount of reasearch that would be needed to make something like that both accurate and manageable and he tasked me with listing all division that were in an area of France in a certain month and year. It was no small task and with my resources I wasn't able to complete it......

The bottomline of my babbling is with CMX being modules a operational map/game doing this would not be nearly as daunting (especially for people with BFCs resouces and that they would be doing it as part of game construction not just to see if they can prove Dorosh wrong).

I to am a fan of expanding the roles of strategy gaming. Perhaps we are getting more greedy as time goes on, although the total war series is not ideal as far as realism. I do believe they are going down the correct path, when they are combining operational and strategy battles together.

They are giving us a story, a role and experience of a generation of warfare not one off battles.

People are not just satified in having another good strategy game with new features. Destructable ground or some other new feature they are wanting a story behind it, a feeling of immersion into the game itself.

If gamers were happy to play strategy games in their pure form we woul dbe just as happen to play SSI Wargame construction set. A great game but no feeling of immersion, when the graphics get real enough as I feel they are getting, then what is next to swing a gamer.

Total Immmersion in a story line (random not scripted) that create you as the Leader, General, Company Commander and the foot soldier.

Game designers like total war are heading down that path and as the years progress and their game play become better and thier operational stories become more enhanced, they will be the true winners of strategy gaming.

People who put pretty graphics and gimmicky features will be like the SSI simulations of the new world of strategy.

Games are not just interested in the battles they also want the immersion, the story.