Skinning editor for CMX2, Feasible?

Sequoia

I'm wondering if anyone would have an informed guess about how much programming it would take to include an editor to allow not only modding but the skinning (creating new shapes for those who don't know) of new vehicles. Of course if this were possible, one would have to be able to include stats for the new vehicle somehow. Is such a feature practicle or am I in dreamland?

Some time ago there was an announcement of BFC acquiring an extra-fancy new polygon making program. I believe there was even mention of a 3-D painting function. My fear/expectation is that with the new engine our modding days may be at an end. Maybe the new engine will still wrap bmps around a texture like it does now... but maybe it won't.

We won't actually know til we know. Its all speculation at this point.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My fear/expectation is that with the new engine our modding days may be at an end. Maybe the new engine will still wrap bmps around a texture like it does now... but maybe it won't.

I sure hope it does. I wonder if the modding phenomenon can be translated in dollars somehow, i.e. by keeping the game going longer since one can completely change its look and feel, therefore lasting longer on hard drives. Many people say they don't give a damn about graphics, perhaps most players, but I honestly confess this is one added value I like immensely.

I recall the day I first installed MDMP, Tom's Ardennes mod, Magua Normandy mod, Bergman and Fernando's AFVs among others... It was a new game, plain and simple, almost "tastier" smile.gif Of course it is an understatement to say these where badly needed for CMBO back then, but when I look at it, I am almost equally thrilled when you (and many, many others) come up with new textures. The latest Normandy small buildings from Tanks a Lot for example.

So all in all, I'd say moddable CM was a nice -and "cheap" assets, since it allows high quality imput at no cost unless there is a part of the equation I don't see. I sure hope BFC keep going on the user end input. The community have proven time and again that it can produces very high quality stuff, both on scenarios and mods. I'd even extend this wish to an idea already expressed in the CMx2 wishlist: that a way to import 3d objects, be it only building and landscapes, within certain realistic parameters, would even extend this and quite possibly benefit BFC. Though I have no idea of both the technical feasability of such a feature and the integral security of the source code, something BFC is understandably concerned with.

My two canadian cents.

The current CM series modability is actually pretty low compared to some games.

However, sucessful mods do GREATLY extend a games lifespan - while it may not be directly comparable, Half Life the orginal is still a very popular game 4-5 years after it's release (According to some places it's the 3rd most popular online game *still*) - on the back of its modability.

The ability to do modelling and skinning would be a very intresting addition to CMX2, it would allow mod makes to add basically whatever they felt like in terms of details and additions. For example, you could mount track links that would be rendered in 3d, or do a new model for the IS-3

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Some time ago there was an announcement of BFC acquiring an extra-fancy new polygon making program. I believe there was even mention of a 3-D painting function. My fear/expectation is that with the new engine our modding days may be at an end. Maybe the new engine will still wrap bmps around a texture like it does now... but maybe it won't.

We won't actually know til we know. Its all speculation at this point.

Why would it mean an end to modding? Not everyone would have the skill, patience or knowhow to use such an editor, and I am sure exceptionally talented artists would still be able to put out work very much in demand by others.

Like others I can only speculate, but:

I expect that the 3d models and combat perameters of fighting units will not be moddable. To do so would only open a can of worms about historical accuracy and combat accuracy of mods.

I would like to see the ability to import 3d Structures for houses, trees etc. Being able to import new models for things which do not affect game balance, but greatly enhance the "feel" of a game would be a worthy addition to the mod community.

As for the overall "modability" of the new engine, I expect there will be some. As others have said, mods create a loyal community and extend the lifetime of a game product, and I am sure BFC is well aware of the value of this.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Maybe if CMx2 doesn't grab me I'll try this out.

What do you think the odds of that are?

Back to the main subject. I think Battlefront does a good job of including all the combat vehicles that were available in the theathers covered, but I have an interest in seeing additional non-combat vehicles for flavor's sake.

Since the general consensus seems to be that a vehicle editor is unlikely, I'd be happy to see a building editor which includes settings for the hardness of walls-wood, stone, even fabric so one can make tents. Also being able to make fortresses such as Eben Emael would be fantastic.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

[snipps]I'd be happy to see a building editor which includes settings for the hardness of walls-wood, stone, even fabric so one can make tents.[snipps]

I've been thinking about this lately. One problem certainly is consistency with the 3D environment and damage computation and user-end readability. As it is now, we know of what, three kind of building ? (shacks, light, heavy) plus some form of fortification. An editor within the game could simply work on some variations of these, yet allow for assemblage of components to make complex shapes and textures.

The obvious question is: is it worth the coding/testing time ?

If it is only eye-candy, then it does not. Period.

But if the new engine takes building structure into account for damages, concealment and cover, the question become more relevant. Imagine if location of doors and windows are important, scenarios would get a lot more unique. And those expert designer out there would be provided additional tool to produce real gems. Advantages of a 3D objects editor would be twofold: player would have to consider [yet] another factor while planning and playing, and designer would get more flexibility to depict their projects.

Just ideas. Cheers guys. And take care during the holidays.