M10 vs Tiger at 140 metres

Sivodsi

Chance of kill = 'None'

Though if you look at the penetration charts an M10 should be able to blast through 140mm of armor plating. What gives? Is this something to do with the angle and the AP round sliding off? Or did the Tiger run over a 'cloak of invincibility' power up?

I have a screen shot and the saved game file if anyone is interested.

Check the data for the Tiger. It has a 'reinforced turret front'.

In a PBEM I am enjoying hugely against Becket, his three M-10 tank destroyers are pinging rounds off the front of my Tiger. He has achieved one penetration and one partial penetration, so you can go through the turret armour - you just have to get lucky.

At present, one of the M-10s has joined the Afrika Sizzle Company.

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

Chance of kill = 'None'

Though if you look at the penetration charts an M10 should be able to blast through 140mm of armor plating. What gives? Is this something to do with the angle and the AP round sliding off? Or did the Tiger run over a 'cloak of invincibility' power up?

I have a screen shot and the saved game file if anyone is interested.

I strongly suspect that the positioning of the Tiger is adding an angle effect to the armor plating. The Tiger frontal plate is thick but flat or nearly so, but positioning on a hillside slope or else an angled presentation of the Tiger's frontal armor to an opposing tank can add angles to the flat frontal armor and make them a lot harder to penetrate.

I did a quick test on a flat tracked test course and found that early M10s (w/o tungsten rounds) had a "Fair" chance of killing a hullup Tiger at 400m in a straighton facing. M10s w/ tungsten showed a "Good" chance of a kill under the same conditions, presumably because of the tungsten's added penetrating power. Oddly, none of the M10s actually fired their tungsten when I ran a test--I think the AI is still a bit to reluctant to use tungsten, even after years of tweaking. Anyway, in a single test, with ten M10s facing ten Tigers in separate lanes at 400m, the M10s killed the Tigers 3 times out of ten. Clearly they have some chance of killing a Tiger at a longer range than 140m, and even using plain AP.

In 'Assault on Longstop" (should I have a SPOILER alert here?) I've been able to get my 6 pdr Churchills to fire their tungsten rounds no problem. But that may have something to do with the fact that standard 6 pdr AP has ZERO% chance of penetrating a Tiger from 500m. So it appears that if there's any hope at all for a penetration from a standard round the AI will try the standard round.

I did a small test, not very controlled, with M10s vs. Tigers. At 100 meters range or so against the turret front there are a lot of shot shatter or only partial penetrations. Upperhull is more vulnerable though.

BTW, I've lost a Tiger to an M10 in the desert. :) I suspect we played the same battle.

How does scotsman define a penetration wrt the calculator?
The same way the US army does.

Not necesarily a killing shot. Look at the energy listed to get an idea of impact.

He did interesting things and found/proved that the 17 lber APDS does not in fact shatter as some authors believed , but rather had a bad first run of ammo and the penetrator yawed due to improper seperation.

If you run the 2lber you will see Shatter GAp is included in the script.

Reults are from Jetz and others with a few run on the Hydrocode generator in his spare time.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

In 'Assault on Longstop" (should I have a SPOILER alert here?) I've been able to get my 6 pdr Churchills to fire their tungsten rounds no problem. But that may have something to do with the fact that standard 6 pdr AP has ZERO% chance of penetrating a Tiger from 500m. So it appears that if there's any hope at all for a penetration from a standard round the AI will try the standard round.

Churchills have "tungsten rounds" in April 1943?

Claus B

Claus B writes:

"Churchills have "tungsten rounds" in April 1943?"

That's the month that 6 pdr tungsten shows up for the first time in the game (and in the war ;) ). Got in right under the wire for that scenario. Otherwise that Tiger would be pretty much unstoppable. That round must've come as a nasty surprise to the Germans (153mm penetration at 500m).

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Claus B writes:

"Churchills have "tungsten rounds" in April 1943?"

That's the month that 6 pdr tungsten shows up for the first time in the game (and in the war ;) ). Got in right under the wire for that scenario. Otherwise that Tiger would be pretty much unstoppable. That round must've come as a nasty surprise to the Germans (153mm penetration at 500m).

I can accept that it is the first time it turns up in the game, but whatever sources I've seen suggest that in real life, it turned up in 1944, not April 1943.

So I wonder what sources suggest that 6-pdr APCR or APDS was available in April 1943?

Claus B