somebody fill me in, please.

I've been perfectly happy with CMBB. Maybe it's not got the greatest graphics, but the gameplay and subject is all I could ask for. I just don't bother keeping up with CMx2. But I read on another thread (posted by an outsider) that CM2 was coming soon. Is that true? This year? I also read from BFC that much effort has been invested in the sun and the moon and the stars in their courses. I don't want to navigate the North Atlantic. I want to play a tactical wargame. Can someone give me a thumbnail view of what to expect and, maybe, when?

Not much, since IIRC, total hits inflicted by stormtrooper infantry fire through the first three films consisted of:

1. About a squad of Leia's consular guards (who weren't much better shots themselves)

2. Leia herself (stungun hit)

3. Jawa track, including occupants. Obi Wan makes charitable commment about the "precision" of the hits, but then he's an old school swords guy.

4. Incineration of Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru and assorted moisture farm droids.

5. Ambush hit on Threepio in the cloud city.

6. Random pistol hit on speeder bike on Endor.

Imperial armor didn't do much better -- a few gun positions, a generator and a couple of Rebel mini-fighters on Hoth. Oh, and a single Ewok.

Guess the Rebel alliance controlled galactic supplies of optical glass or sumfink....

Originally posted by LongLeftFlank:

4. Incineration of Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru and assorted moisture farm droids.

Those could have been done by thermal detonator, or Imperial engineers, though, the movie never really says. I think you are being charitable yourself. :)

Didn't they get a shoulder hit on Han or Leia on Endor, too?

There was the shoulder hit on Leia on Endor, followed by the famous boob grab. Han goes down to help Leia, and as he adjusts her into the corner, he clearly grabs her left breast. Watch it, it's there.

The thing you have to remember about Stormtroopers is not just their own inaccuracy, but their incompetent commanders. Both in the original three and in the prequels, whoever is commanding the forces involved is clearly a nitwit. Probably the best example of this is found in Episodes 2 and 3. If memory serves, in Episode 2, they mention that something like 2 million clone troops are made. This seems like a lot, until you remember that the US at its largest in WWII peaked at more than that, and the Old Republic had to fight a war across the entire galaxy. And they make no efforts to conserve their limited manpower. Watch any of the battle scenes in Episode 3. Frontal suicide charges by the clones, or single line of defense fixed MLR defense against a suicide charge. Fools are clearly the ones in command here.

Now, I mention this to point out that the ineffectiveness of Stormtroopers is not entirely their own fault. And, if you read the books and look into the backstory (god, I'm a nerd), you'll here of many instances of frightening effectiveness by the Stormtroopers. It was merely "Hollywoodized" for the movies, as often happens when Hollywood tries to make a big motion picture out of something. Alas, few take the time and effort to uncover the truth about how the wars before, during, and after the Galatic Rebellion were fought.

I'm just going to stop now and maybe preserve some shred of dignity.

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

There was the shoulder hit on Leia on Endor, followed by the famous boob grab. Han goes down to help Leia, and as he adjusts her into the corner, he clearly grabs her left breast. Watch it, it's there.

Something similar happens at the end of The President's Analyst. The female lead character is being hauled out of the water into a boat by some soldiers and one grabs her by the tit. The right one IIRC. These things are important and should be carefully noted and memorized.

Michael

I wonder what that actress says when the take is over. "What the hell, why'd you grab my breast?!", or something like that. Or how often are "accidental" things like that ordered in by the director? If there are cutscenes in CMX2, I will expect boobs to be grabbed. Actually, I will expect every role in the cutscenes to be played by those who made the game and perhaps leading scenario designers, so that will be pretty weird.

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

(god, I'm a nerd)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm just going to stop now and maybe preserve some shred of dignity.

Nah. You would only qualify as a nerd if you followed that up with "but the stormtrooper who banged his head on the doorframe in Episode IV, when the droids are hiding on the Death Star is funnier...really, go look" ;)

Oh...hang on. I'll get my coat...... tongue.gif

Can we get back to Lobsters now? Seriously... this guy needs some straight answers.

Oh... BTW, the Stromtroopers were clones as you know. They probably didn't go deep into the gene pool to pull out leadership characteristics. But give them credit for following orders well. Facsimile fodder.

[ July 26, 2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

Originally posted by RCHRD:

I also read from BFC that much effort has been invested in the sun and the moon and the stars in their courses. I don't want to navigate the North Atlantic. I want to play a tactical wargame.

Firstly, although its been mentioned a bunch of times, Ill remind folks that we didnt invest a lot of effort in this. Yes, it is modelled as described, but it wasnt something that took Chalres weeks (or even days) to code...basically it is just a nice touch that the engine could handle easily smile.gif

As to your other question RCHRD, Id suggest doing some searching on posts by Steve in the past weeks/few months. I know he has been posted a lot of info about where we are heading and what people can expect.

Dan

As it seemed to me from Steve's posts, the sky would move and that was about it. I don't think they mentioned anything about actually modelling the sky at the place and time that the combat would take place.

Interestingly enough though, I don't think that would be very hard. Here at the UW, we have a planettarium that can model the sky from anywhere on the earth at any time you want. You just type Latitude and Longitude in to the computer, and scroll the little time thing to where you want, and boom, you're there. So, if they knew that all of the module would be set in, say, Australia from 1489 to 1499, the accurate sky for that wouldn't be too hard to get.

And Bannon, two things are wrong with your statement about Stormtroopers. The Clone Troopers were actually cloned from Jango Fett, a very bad dude. They had some pimp-ass genetic material. But the Stormtroopers we see in 4, 5, and 6 are not clones. Stormtroopers were just regular dudes who volunteered or, in some cases were drafted. There was a trilogy of books set after Hand of Thrawn were this dude whose name I can't remeber blew up Carida (the planet were most Stormtroopers were trained) using the Sun Crusher because his brother joined the Stormtroopers and was killed and he was hella heated about it. It was the trilogy with Admiral Daria. There was a brief period at the end of Admiral Thrawn's little uprising when he ran low on men and found cloning facilities and cloned Stormtroopers and other guys to man the newly rediscovered Katana fleet of Dreadnoughts. But that was the only time Stormtroopers as we know them in 4, 5, and 6 were ever cloned.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Boy you guys are ever so good with helping out someone in need! The least you could do was to point RCHARD to Tom's thread before getting into Space Lobsters and Stromtroopers. Sheeeeeesh, I guess I have to do all the work around here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=003976;p=1

:D

Steve

LOL,

And to think you had to be the one to get stuck with this bunch of apes?