assault boats

And the AI sometimes doesn't like to debark troops either. That would be even worse for assault boots.

I imagine the AI probably doesn't even know that they should mainly be used across water.

All in all, the things that are needed to be added for the AI to understand even the most basic things about boats and how they need to be used is rather large. There are certainly other aspects of the AI where the time invested would bring much more signficant improvements to the gameplay as a whole.

And to think that this 'vehicle' has the most beautiful CM:AK mod so far (by Marco Bergman), IMHO at least. For those who haven't seen or downloaded this baby yet look here:

bergman_boat.jpg .

It's really meant to be looked at from real close up. Stunning work!

"i played a battle where it took about 10 turns just to get to the beach."

Well, take a close look at the shape of that thing then imagine six G.I.s with full packs trying to paddle it across a rushing river. Sure, there were some 'speedboat' motorized craft fielded but these definitely ain't them!

Originally posted by junk2drive:

i dont understand a designer putting the boats in a setup zone 10 turns away from shore.

Unless he puts them there as a sort of 'timed reinforcement.' Still, it'd probably be better to just have them enter the game ten minutes later, right?

Well, in real military operations, you would generally walk around obstacles on land if you could. Sometimes, however, you couldn't and that is where the assault boats came in.

It also forces the enemy to give some thought to defending stretches of river bank which would otherwise be completely impassable barriers. You could concentrate all defenses just on the bridges and fords. If assault boats are present, then you need to worry about the whole river. This is especially true given that the attacker gets to choose exactly where on the river to attack.

Now, to make this work in a CM scenario is a bit tricky, since one would have to make a very wide map, so the defender has to be strung out. Actually, making a wide map with a river, attacker setup zone adjacent to the river and dynamic flags may just work!

"It also forces the enemy to give some thought to defending stretches of river bank which would otherwise be completely impassable barriers. You could concentrate all defenses just on the bridges and fords. If assault boats are present, then you need to worry about the whole river. This is especially true given that the attacker gets to choose exactly where on the river to attack."

dont know if the a.i. thinks this way, human would though.

fredrocker's angel of sicily, you start out on the beach without boats. the boats come as reinforcements later for exiting. works well for me. but you only travel one tile.

i can see a scen where you want to delay the arrival of a force, and make them travel slowly. this gives the player options as opposed to a reinf flag.

HeHe...That reminds me of one of my early CMBO operations : Switchback, which was based on the historical attack by the Canadians over the Leopold canal in Flanders or -better Dutch "Zeeland" -(Breskens Pocket). Spoiler picture here: screenshot credits to Stoffel

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>