1:1 Representation in CMx2 (Part II)

Joachim

Based on Steve's posts in the various threads over the last few weeks, I'd say our new CM is going to be quite different from what we have now. So much so, that Steve might be trying to prep the old forum members(lots of grogs)for a big shock that will likely cause the old guard to flee from the new game immediately. By preparing them for the shock, he's hoping they will give the game a serious try. In which case, Steve feels they will come to like it.

This is all pure speculation of course. I'm just thinking there is a deeper reason for threads like the Grog & Car Designer thread. I think Steve wants the Grogs to come up with the same ideas BFC has already decided will be in the new game.

Treeburst155 out.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I think Steve wants the Grogs to come up with the same ideas BFC has already decided will be in the new game.

Treeburst155 out.

Oh there's a good juicy conspiracy theory in sheeps clothing! ;)

Um... I am not so sure that is the subtext here but I will follow it with keen interest. smile.gif

-tom w

I think we need first person commanding you could like move your commander around. He would be modeled as a fat general. I think you also should have like a map or something and you could order men around.

Or just rush the enemy with your trusty pistol and then pick up a bazooka and blast away. Because you play it first person and real time it fixes all the problems. I think this would be leet and like the ****z

Originally posted by Jasper 2x:

I think we need first person commanding you could like move your commander around. He would be modeled as a fat general. I think you also should have like a map or something and you could order men around.

Or just rush the enemy with your trusty pistol and then pick up a bazooka and blast away. Because you play it first person and real time it fixes all the problems. I think this would be leet and like the ****z

I hope BF.C models bunny-hopping correctly.

I think every game that has tried to implement real time with turn based has met with disaster. (I am not including games that are real time until combat occurs, like many RPG games). If you want to simulate real-time maybe the solution is to have a time limit option for turns for all game types like there is in TCP play. You set the time limit low enough based on the number of troops you have and I guarantee it will 'feel' like real time!

Some of you need to have a lot more faith in BFC and keep a more open mind about what a 'simulation' should be.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just put in my 2 cents here...

For mine, if CMx2 doesn't have PBEM I won't be losing any sleep over it.

But seriously guys, I fail to see why you're all stressing about this one feature - hasn't BFC always come through with the goods? It seems to be whining and carrying on about insignificant details right up until the demo is released then suddenly *POOF* all those worries and qualms have vanished because BFC has delivered... yet again.

I have no doubts they will this time too.

I also have no doubts that 'PBEM' (or something nearly functionally the same), will be available.

The state of the development of the game at this point does not seem to be that well defined, let alone close to a demo. From the discussions, its in some 'Pre-Alpha' phase and what will be in the game, and what will not be in the game, is subject to the development climb.

Perhaps BFC should 'storey-board' what actual gameplay may be like. A very descriptive long post to whet appetites. This, combined with some preliminary landscape screen shots, might take the edge off the developmental phase.

I haven't read through all 11 pages so my apologies if this has aleady been answered. Given we have 1:1 representation will each individual soldier have it's own moral check? If so when one soldier panics will it disaggregate itself from the squad or stay attached to it? If it stays attached how will it affect the operation of that squad in regards to movement? This could be pretty cool say you have a veteran squad of 8 experienced guys and have 2 newbies as replacements. It could lead to interesting behaviors.

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

I haven't read through all 11 pages so my apologies if this has aleady been answered. Given we have 1:1 representation will each individual soldier have it's own moral check? If so when one soldier panics will it disaggregate itself from the squad or stay attached to it? If it stays attached how will it affect the operation of that squad in regards to movement? This could be pretty cool say you have a veteran squad of 8 experienced guys and have 2 newbies as replacements. It could lead to interesting behaviors.

That wouldn't matter if they were NINJAS though.. then they would be cool anyway!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A few points:

Multiplayers are indeed a small minority of the purchasers for most computer games. The massively multiplayer games would be the exception.

If time is an issue use turn length limits, it's more realistic anyway.

The first priority for any game is to make enough money for the company to not go out of business.

I don't see any reason BattleFront can't assign a zero priority to file size but include a way to save the file. How people exchange it is up to them.