Photographic Quality Graphics - When ??

I depends. If the demand for better graphics stays the same as it is now I think you will have something really close to it in about 5-10 years.

We need to find a way for a computer to design custom textures that look real and a way to render them in real-time. According to the graphic designers I know, the main problem is coming up with those minute differences that make up the "Real World". Nobody wants to sit and design 2 million different brick textures by hand.

Also, I think the industry wants to focus more on interactivity with the game world rather then better graphics in the years to come, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Let's work on the definition first, what does "game with photographic quality" mean?

It means that if you look at the screen at any point in time, the pixels drawn do not look any worse than the pixels from a digitized photograph would look.

The most difficult area here is human faces. The human brain does not use the same level of detail for different things. The most level of detail is used for looking at human faces.

The whole complexity issue blows up if you don't want that quality for still shots, but for a movie/animation. Because the human face has a gazillion of muscles all working to express things you have a lot of processing power to simulate those.

There is an interesting article on human face modeling in the new ACM "Computer graphics". Basically, even drawing a single face, in animation, on a moderate resolution screen, is impossible with today's hardware.

The next big thing is clothing which is also a bitch to get right, both for the amount of detail, and for the complex movement.

Things like trees and bushes suck because of all the leaves. It is expeced that special hardware units will allow us to fake them in the near future without employing the existing heavyweight hardware for them.

Ground, buildings, machinery, skies are trivial in comparision. Effect from weapons fire are also manageable.

So if you want a photographic Combat Mission as long as you are far enough away from people to make out details of faces, body movement and clothing, it might be 10-15 years.

My belief is that there is a huge push on for better graphics, in the name of film production and gaming !

Instead of paying over priced actor like Tom Cruise to star in a movie, they could utilize the funds to create fabulous backdrops for the movie and their own computer generated actors.

Think of the battle scences that could be recreated !! The only limitation would be the imagination of the Director and graphic programmers.

It could be GLORIOUS >>>----->

Originally posted by war2004:

The only limitation would be the imagination of the Director and graphic programmers.

Or the quality of the script writer. which is a concern for discriminating film goers. The most common criticism of the Star Wars films from anybody over 8 years old is that the dialogue is trite, the plot predictable and the situations contrived.

Some will argue that since the movies weren't written for anyone over the age of 8 that the criticisms are somehow less valid.

I'd rather play CM with lacklustre graphics but a solid engine as opposed to something flashy like Operation Flashpoint with huge flaws (contact grenades, no quick battles, tightly controlled scripts).

This has certainly been discussed here before; I believe Gunny Bunny, an old forum regular, made many of the points you make - a search for his posts might yield you some interesting discussion points to ponder.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The most common criticism of the Star Wars films from anybody over 8 years old is that the dialogue is trite, the plot predictable and the situations contrived.

You might add 'hackneyed' to your list of adjectives. 'Atrocious' might not be misplaced either.

:rolleyes:

Michael

Myself personally, if a game with the strategy of CM combined with the graphics quality of Call of Duty would be adequate for me ! Perhaps, better human body movements though.

If wargames have a slightly surreal look to them, it adds a bit to the immersion. The anti-aircraft gun firing in the COD first version was an example of some nice dynamic lighting smile.gif

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I'd rather play CM with lacklustre graphics but a solid engine [...].

I would personnally be content with the current level of detail for armor, maybe with some improvements like distinct side turret markings and, well, dynamic trackwork. The later being rather useless, I know.

Realistic animations for infantry, on which there are reasons to hope.

But above all, IMHO the graphic aspect that would benefit the most from a large overhaul is terrain. It affects both gameplay and ambiance and is largely responsible for realism.

I am confident :D

Photographic Quality Graphics - When ??
May personal answer to this would be: I don't really care. Mainstream games seem to move more and more towards movies (photorealistic, scripted). Fair enough, but if I want to watch a movie, than I'd rather buy a DVD. Those have fewer bugs and are cheaper smile.gif

In my games, I prefer gamePLAY. Watching a photorealistic explosion excites me precisely one time, and from there gets boring fast. Good ol' Tetris is more exciting than that.

There was a time when graphics quality was making huge leaps forward. Those were exciting times, but it seems that many gamemakers (and players!) didn't realize yet that these times are quickly coming to an end. After a certain visual level is reached, only hardware-geeks get excited about it.

At least that's my 0.2 Eurocent...

Martin

Lets see, Pong, Atari, NES, Super NES, N64 then I quit consoles. But I remember when we got the James Bond 007 game for N64. Wow. Moving people through buildings. Lifelike. People hiding behind bookcases. Going up stairs.

I do like the screenshots of some of the new games, but I wont be playing them. I agree with Moon.

I recall a game that shall remain nameless where graphics where quite interesting but commanding troops on the ground was next to impossible and REAL boring. The result was I dropped it after two play sessions.

On the other hand, big fat nice explosions within the frame of a deep, realistic and accurate engine is something that will not hurt. tongue.gif

On the whole, I guess people are expecting the game to simply get better all around, with the focus being set on realism. Considering how good it is right now, that is something I completely agree with and prepare my bucks for.

(still, dynamic trackworks would be nice :D )

Best

[EDIT: ...second thoughts. Explosions need not being big to be nice smile.gif ]

[ October 10, 2004, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Tarkus ]

Isn´t ironic that -at the same time- the tendency in modern war movies is exactly the opposite to "Photographic Quality Graphics" ?

In both "Saving Private Ryan" and in "Band of Brothers" the image in battle scenes is granulous, the camera shaky and -to allow inmersiveness and realism-, trying to give us something as Stendhal´s "Fabrizio del Dongo" feelings in Waterloo in 'The Charterhouse of Parma' :

''Had what he'd seen been a battle? . . . Had this battle been Waterloo?
No war is clean, and no war image can be seen as clear as a "Photographic First-Person-Shooter" -a few years ago there were both a Saloon and a Police one, based obviously in this: Shoot To Drill - 1998-02-02 - Puget Sound Business Journal

--------------------------------------------

For me, give me advances in AI and put the graphics in a secondary improvement area.

Regards,

Here are some interesting tutorials on making face graphics. Does not seem overly difficult for a person with graphics experience smile.gif

http://www.perpetualvisions.com/articles-and-graphics/tutorial-dp3d-poser.htm

http://markbutler.8m.com/graphics/rotoscope-tutorial.htm

Perhaps, making all the human face muscles work is not required for most games, just enough to give a human feel to the graphic.

Cordially

mmm... I can imagine CM AI retaliating with an off target/off screen rocket barrage :eek:

"But if the instructor decides the officer is reacting incorrectly, the scenario can escalate to one in which where the police officer fires his gun and the bad guy shoots back. If the officer doesn't take cover quickly, he can get shot.

The shoot-back cannon shoots a 68-caliber nylon ball that can travel 70 miles per hour. The resulting hit feels like a bee sting, said Hoover, who retired from the Los Angeles Police Department's SWAT team. The return fire is guided by an instructor using a joystick or by a tracking sensor worn by the student. "

@war2004 - Did you actually look at the CGI 'heads' on the links you posted? If you think they look real then off to Art School with you...

Your looking at about 3000 polygons for a reasonable animated head which is what a medium battle uses in CM at present.

Everything hinges on processor power/graphic cards and the mass production of the necessary models/artwork to fill a 'photographic' virtual world.

Originally posted by Paco QNS:

No war is clean, and no war image can be seen as clear as a "Photographic First-Person-Shooter" -a few years ago there were both a Saloon and a Police one, based obviously in this: Shoot To Drill - 1998-02-02 - Puget Sound Business Journal