ATI cards and CMX2

Fog tables actually work in the OpenGL driver on ATI cards.

There certainly is no hardware problem as the ATI cards display fog table fog on Mac under Rave.

If I were you I would still stay away from ATI cards and ATI-equipped notebooks in particular. Their support is incredibly inferior to NVidia and Doom3-based games are obviously much happier on NVidia, too.

If I were you I would still stay away from ATI cards and ATI-equipped notebooks in particular. Their support is incredibly inferior to NVidia and Doom3-based games are obviously much happier on NVidia, too.

Not my experience at all. And I don't play DOOM 3-- I'm waiting stubbornly for Half-Life 2. I have owned both and found ATI image quality far superior and their support equal to Nvidia's.

Originally posted by jrrich0000:

Not my experience at all. And I don't play DOOM 3-- I'm waiting stubbornly for Half-Life 2. I have owned both and found ATI image quality far superior and their support equal to Nvidia's. [/QB]

Yeah, that's why you can download generic notebooks drivers from NVidia and for ATI you are bound to your vendor's willingness to provide them.

It's also why ATF has to turn of hardware 2D acceleration on ATI cards.

Didn't I just post the full list of verifyable ATI sins?

Originally posted by Dave Stockhoff:

My experience: ATI: No fog. NVidia: Fog. Open and shut.

Went for a Radeon 9200 deal, rendered completely numb by the low price, only to recall -once the card was tightly set on my PC, of course- that I got rid of ATI for this fog bug in the first place. *sigh* :rolleyes:

I almost never fight in fog. Yet now, somehow, it bugs me not to have access to it.

[ October 06, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Tarkus ]

Oh, come on. I think that the CMAK should already work on ATI cards. The fog table emulation is an obsolete and ancient way of doing fog on graphics hardware. Also, I really can't understand what's up with the anti-aliasing text problems on ATI cards in CM games. grrr.

Originally posted by Dementor:

Oh, come on. I think that the CMAK should already work on ATI cards. The fog table emulation is an obsolete and ancient way of doing fog on graphics hardware.

Fog tables are part of both the DirectX and OpenGL APIs, and for the ATI drivers they work in OpenGL but not in DirectX. Since ATI is claiming to be compatible with DirectX they would be required to implement it. In the case of OpenGL they have to because the OpenGL consortium would sue them if they didn't and still used the OpenGL logo. In the case of Microsoft MS is so happy that ATI is the primary pusher of new DirectX features that they don't bother them with details like correctness and completeness of older features.

Morale of the story: use a one-vendor API and you lose.

Well, it's ATI who's driver don't work right. Charles is using functionality that is documented and that ATI documents to support (by claiming DirectX compatibility).

Whether Charles made smart choices with the APIs for CM is a different matter, but the problem here are people buying still ATI cards, proving to them that it really doesn't matter if they feel free to privide drivers that suck.

Do you realize that not buying their cards is the only thing that can make them implement what they promise to implement?

If ATI cards would place the textures on the models backwards people would demand that developers would paint their models backwards. Something is wrong here.

[ October 08, 2004, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]