Any plans on making a CM:BO revision?

I bet there are a lot of people (including me) yearning to return to the holiday spots of the western front. The biggest problem is that the CM:BO engine is antiquated: I was thinking, how difficult would it be to plaster the old unit/map data on a CM:BB engine?

The thought of the fighting the Brittons and Yanks with the aid of cover arcs, assault commands and realistic infantry durability is like a dream come true!

I thought that they would, eventually. They hinted that they might do some ealier campaigns and post war conflict before returning to Normandy et al. But CMAK would let you do most battles of Europe anyway, and that's without too much modding, let alone when those moders get their paws on it.

And in the meantime you can de-antiquate CMBO by modding the hell out of it. ;)

Given that the nations, OOBs, and unit types required for the Italy campaign are pretty close to those present in Normandy and the Rhine, we should be able to replicate a lot of CMBO-type battles under CMAK. Good things come to those who wait.

A couple of years back the stated plan was that after CM4 (The Blitzkrieg Years) was done, and all the improvements to the engine were tidied up, BTS would return to CM:BO and bring it up to date.

Lately, BFC has been more vague and non-committal about future plans, preferring to play their cards closer to their chests.

Just on my own thought though, I'd offer that since the Western Front seems to be Steve and Charles first and main love, it would be strange if they did not return to it at some point and make another stab at turning out "the perfect ETO game".

Just something to think about.

Michael

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Buy CMAK. Get someone to do a 'Normandy Mod' for it. You're set, except for King Tigers and probably Jagdpanthers.

If you look at one of the CMAK screenshots you will see a jagdpanther. *I think* :D </font>

Guest Mike

I jsut had my Russian 37mm FLAK (sic) bounce half its AP ammo off the turret and front armour of what looked like a light a/car at about 750m - :(:(:(

I want the other guy to have 8mm armour that I can actually penetrate dammit! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree with bone. Since i don't know much about the CM engine i'll ask this. How hard would it be to make a patch for CMBO with all the CMBB refinements. Is it at all even possible? Im sure that this has been asked before but im too lazy to search for it. tongue.gif

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

I agree with bone. Since i don't know much about the CM engine i'll ask this. How hard would it be to make a patch for CMBO with all the CMBB refinements. Is it at all even possible? Im sure that this has been asked before but im too lazy to search for it. tongue.gif

And BFC would make money off of this how, exactly? :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MeatEtr:

And BFC would make money off of this how, exactly? :confused: :confused: </font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Just on my own thought though, I'd offer that since the Western Front seems to be Steve and Charles first and main love, it would be strange if they did not return to it at some point and make another stab at turning out "the perfect ETO game".

Actually, I am tickled pink (and that's embarrassing in public) that they did it the way they did. I love the East Front (blame me cutting my teeth on Kampfgruppe), and all other wargame company's always did the East Front first, then refined their system and put out the West Front... leaving the East Front in a (then) antiquated engine. I love that the opposite happened here for once! (and all the better because of this particular engine!)

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

Buy CMAK. Get someone to do a 'Normandy Mod' for it. You're set, except for King Tigers and probably Jagdpanthers.

If you look at one of the CMAK screenshots you will see a jagdpanther. *I think* :D </font>

Yes, we will revisit the West Front for sure, but not as an update to CMBO, instead as one of the theaters for the new engine. For the time being, CMAK will certainly allow creative designers to plug in some West Front scenarios in there without the need for much (or any) modding.

Martin

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

Thanks Moon.

In answer to your edited question of "I'd buy one, wouldn't you" I would have to say no, I honestly wouldn't. I would wait for the new engine - which will never come about if BFC decided to step back and update every single game they released everytime they released a new one.

But I take it you've figured that out already... :D

Actually what i was getting at, was if possible, someone from the community could make a unofficial patch/mod for CMBO with the CMBB refinements. Although i guess that would mean messing around with the actual code. Which BTS im guessing won't release. Oh well.

But hey the western front revisited with the engine rewrite sounds great. I'll be looking foward to that. smile.gif