Gun damage on tanks? You Crazy?

50 percent of the time that my heavy tanks come under fire from ligh armor they get their guns damaged, this makes the tank usless. I dont understand why this happens. I flak gun should not be able to damage a heavy tanks gun. Whats up with this.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have proof you silly man. I played a mission and my tank got its gun damaged by a flak gun. This has heppened more then it should. From guns that cant penetrate the armor, but they damage the gun. It is very frustrating.

Originally posted by Patton21:

I dont have proof you silly man. I played a mission and my tank got its gun damaged by a flak gun. This has heppened more then it should. From guns that cant penetrate the armor, but they damage the gun. It is very frustrating.

Don't think of it as '20mm cannon round punctures barrel of Tiger'. Think of it as '100 cannon rounds bounce off front of Tiger, shattering gun sights' - which in this case, is probably what it is. The manual does state that 'gun damage' does not just include damage to the gun barrel. You should use onboard mortars to deal with any dug-in flak guns which are causing you grief, rather than risking a tank to do that job.

Since you say that you feel it happens more often than it should, I assume you have no problem with the basic idea that light calibre AA guns CAN damage tank guns (or sights).

It would then seem that you are of the opinion that it happens too often.

What is 'too often' ? How often would be just often enough for you ?

And based on what would you say that was the right chance for it to occur in CMBB ?

Patton21, I see you're listed as a junior member. Looks like you've stumbled on one function of the game that's driven us ALL crazy a one time or another! All I can say is it used to be worse, I believe 'gun damaged' has actually been tone-down some since CMBB first came out.

'Gun damaged' happens a bit too much for my taste too, I must admit. But its one of a list of unexpected events (I didn't want to say 'random') that makes CMBB more than just a 3-d chess game. Your gun will get damaged, your tank will get bogged, your artillery will fall off target and onto your own troops, your 50mm mortar guy will refuse to fire when ordered, your aircraft will target your tanks accidentally, your troops will fire on eachother during night battles, your Tiger will be knocked out by a lucky first round penetration from 1400m. Basically, war is hell.

[ June 11, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Gun damage wouldn't be that bad if

a) the very small (high-rof, mostly autocannon) guns would have less of a chance of gun damage on hit. Apparently right now the chance is not that much smaller.

B) the small FlaK gun (up to 37mm German but not 37mm Russian) wouldn't be that incredibly more hard to spot than 37mm Russian and bigger guns.

c) the coax MG wouldn't be knocked out along with the gun. Of the gun damage reasons only a minority apply to the coax MG as well.

My crews don't bail out of gun damaged tanks, but that makes lil difference since the effect is to turn it into an armored truck. I would say the percentage of track hits would/should be higher than what presently appears to be a high percentage of gun hits. It seems to me, that the percentage rate of gun hits in CMBB has increased over CMBO.

Pz regt 24 in Stalingrad oct:

Weapons

a. 7,5cm KwK40 L/43 only against tanks. The long gun is too easily damaged.

Pz regt (Panther) von Lauchert 1943 Zitadelle:

Main gun:

.........Several weapons became unserviceable as a result of anti-tank rifle hits on the gun tubes (bulges on the inside).

Originally posted by Patton21:

50 percent of the time that my heavy tanks come under fire from ligh armor they get their guns damaged, this makes the tank usless. I dont understand why this happens. I flak gun should not be able to damage a heavy tanks gun. Whats up with this.

I asked a similar question about a month ago and got some good answers. You should be able to find the thread here:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=007397#000000

or just do a search for 'gun damage'

Conversely, how many times do we INFLICT gun damage on enemy tanks? Seems that whenever I see this sought after "Gun Damage" result, my excitement lasts for about twenty seconds, then fades as that "gun damaged" tank fires again, knocking out whatever weapon I was firing. :mad: :rolleyes:

Of course if gun hits do happen they do happen too often - if your tank is hit...

I think they don't happen too often regarding shootouts on the CM firing range - around 2% if I remember correctly and not all of those were damaging the gun.

But then what if you hit a MG carrier with your Stug IIIG main gun and you get a "MG hit" and the thingy is still alive afterwards?!??!!!

I got Gun Damage on a KV-2 once with a Hungarian-manned, Swiss-built Solothurn ATR.

The kicker was, the KV crew panicked, threw it into reverse - into some scattered trees - bogged, immobilized, and bailed. So I killed a KV-2 with an ATR. ;)

It also represents damage to exposed recoil mechanisms, jamming rounds into the little gap around the barrel of the gun going into the mantlet, or hamming the mantlet, as well as penetrations of hte barrel.

As I said somewhere else, I have a photo of a KV-2 with a very small hole in the side of its barrel - maybe 20-37mm.

There's also a difference between "gun hit" and "gun damaged" - hit's do nothing unless you're also told that damage is inflicted - although how you'd know that at 2000m with EFOW is really beyond me..... ;)

Originally posted by Mike:

It also represents damage to exposed recoil mechanisms, jamming rounds into the little gap around the barrel of the gun going into the mantlet, or hamming the mantlet, as well as penetrations of hte barrel.

Exactly.

This is why the MG should still work. Because the majority of things modeled as gun damage wouldn't effect the MG.

Originally posted by demoss:

I got Gun Damage on a KV-2 once with a Hungarian-manned, Swiss-built Solothurn ATR.

The kicker was, the KV crew panicked, threw it into reverse - into some scattered trees - bogged, immobilized, and bailed. So I killed a KV-2 with an ATR. ;)

ROFL! Priceless!