Battlefront developers are you baking the cake and eating it to?

All talented developers here at Battlefront I have an interesting question for you :

*Are you playing CMBB yourselves ?

*If you do, do you play TCP/IP or PBEM (or maybe even hotseat), and who is your opponent ?

*Which side do you prefer at the moment, and why? AXIS/ALLIES

Thankfull for answers (sorry if the questions been asked before).

//Salkin

The ultimate swedish fanboy

Originally posted by Axe2121:

Sssssshhhhhhh

If Steve and the boys find out you can play this game, they'll never get any work done.

Ok, ok.....pick on the silly swede :rolleyes:

The reason I ask this is that people who work 8 hours each day on a game sometimes spend their remaining time doing other things (to take a break from the game so to speak).

Okay...that's all I wanted to say .

Anyways ...thanks for all the smart remarks, it keeps my post on the first page tongue.gif .

//Salkin

The poor picked on swede ;)

Salkin,

Ok, ok.....pick on the silly swede
Swedes are naturally amusing so there is no need to pick on them :D

I'll preface this by reminding people of The Game Developer's Curse:

"We love playing games so much that we decided to dedicate our lives to making them. To do this we willingly sacrifice our wealth, social lives, and a few years of our life expectancy. In exchange for this we starve for a number of years, are lucky enough to have people who remember our names, and are so stressed out that we can't sleep even when we try hard. When the fruits of our labor are finally released we are crucified if it is bad, yelled at if it is just OK, and bitched at if it is perfect. Being successfull means starving less often, all other things get no better or worse. Less than successfull means flipping burgers. And if things go "well", along with being lucky and paranoid about contract arrangements, we can continue to do this for at least another year or two.

The curse is that we suffer through all this because we love playing games, yet as a result we no longer have the time or the energy to play games, which was why we got into this in the first place."

Seriously we really don't play full games of CMBO or CMBB much at all. I have played one MP game against Dan, one against Rune, and I think maybe one against Martin (more against non BF.C folks, and yes Rune sorta counts ;) ). I played one hotseat game with Charles, but that was back when CMBO was still hex based and the only tanks available were Stuart, Sherman, and Panther smile.gif

For single player games I have played plenty. However, I think the more dedicated CM player has probably played more in a month than any of us have in 5 years. One thing though... because we are intimately familiar with what the game is supposed to be doing, one game played by me is probably equal to 50 played by the average customer. Plus, they can get caught up in the game more than I can because I am obligated to be a perpetual beta tester (i.e. I have to stop playing every time I think I might see something wrong and report it).

The question you might ask is... "heck, the co designers of the game hardly play the thing, so how did it come out so damned good?" Obviously we know what we are doing smile.gif That and some of us (Matt, Dan, Martin, and Rune) play a lot more than Charles and I do, so they act as our eyes and ears. And of course we have a great group of testers who play the game hard and often with great intuition about what works and doesn't.

Err... how's that for an answer :)

I also want to stress that when I play CM I am reminded why I don't mind going without sleep for days on end sometimes. The game rocks! And if a developer can honestly say that after putting 5 years of intensely hard and difficult work into the game, then it must be true. Usually a game developer doesn't ever want to see the product of his labor ever again in a million years before it is even finished :(

Steve

[ January 09, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

...ummm..thanks....I think ;)

Just because I talk about cake n' stuff you have to understand that I am nothing like the swedish chef from the muppet show... tongue.gif

Good one, the game developers curse, where did you first find it ?

That's a pretty darn good answer! smile.gif

Sorry to hear that you don't play more tcp/ip than you do, well it'll be interesting to hear what your fellow developers has to say on the subject.

Oh , and I also have to say that your customer support is equal to none (I ordered the strategy guide).

Other developers (should you choose to answer) I'm really interested in what sides you play at the moment and why =) .

Steve you rule !

(and I'm not talking about mrSpkr ;) )

//Salkin

Enlightened swede

Originally posted by Salkin:

Just because I talk about cake n' stuff you have to understand that I am nothing like the swedish chef from the muppet show... tongue.gif

[/QB]

Damn Salkin...you've shattered my illusions. I was convinced that the streets of Stockholm were full of chefs maniacally darting around the shops wielding meat cleavers..sigh!!!

Regards

MG-42

[ January 10, 2003, 04:55 AM: Message edited by: MG-42 ]

I'm playing a little, mostly QB's against the AI, very rarely against other players. Once in a while I'll fire up a historical scenario or operation from one of the great designers out there and give it a shot, but it's not more than once or twice a month. I have one PBEM going right now, and the poor guy (you know who you are) is waiting for his turn for like a month now, ugh). I play Axis most of the time, might have something to do with my polish heritage.

And yes, Steve did play against me, and kicked my butt. I think I gave up after 5 turns smile.gif

But the real answer is, of course, 42.

Martin

When Peter Jackson recieved the question "what is the target audience for this movie? What type of viewer are you aiming to please?"

He replied "I'm making this movie the way I would want to see it, in a sense I'm making this movie for myself."

That is the most brilliant answer I have ever heard from any movie director. And we all know the end result of Jacksons philosophy...two (probably three) of the best movies known to man.

I see the same philosophy in BFC. As long as they keep that philosophy, they will keep making the best wargames there is. That is why I sincerely hope that they still play CM, and that they enjoy every second of it as much as we do.

Because if CM should ever stop being fun for them, then its bad news for all of us.

Damn Salkin...you've shattered my illusions. I was convinced that the streets of Stockholm were full of chefs maniacally darting around the shops wielding meat cleavers..sigh!!!

Regards

MG-42[/QB]

No worries MG-42. Your illusion of stockholm is a real one indeed. Good thing we are fairly normal here in Gothenburg :D .

//Salkin

The politically incorrect Swede

[ January 10, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Salkin ]

Originally posted by Moon:

I'm playing a little, mostly QB's against the AI, very rarely against other players. Once in a while I'll fire up a historical scenario or operation from one of the great designers out there and give it a shot, but it's not more than once or twice a month. I have one PBEM going right now, and the poor guy (you know who you are) is waiting for his turn for like a month now, ugh). I play Axis most of the time, might have something to do with my polish heritage.

And yes, Steve did play against me, and kicked my butt. I think I gave up after 5 turns smile.gif

But the real answer is, of course, 42.

Martin

Great answer.

All us fanboys are taking notes smile.gif .

//Salkin

Insert Swedish humour here